Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20171 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #210 on: Jan 10th, 2011, 6:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks Joel. I've linked it in the Videos section of the gameroom.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #211 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 12:09pm »

on Jan 8th, 2011, 7:54pm, megajester wrote:
Finished (finally). I've collated the videos to form a playlist you can share.

I finally got around to listening to this for the first time.  Thank you so much for making this video, Joel, and thank you Omar for linking it from the game room.  We were lucky that there was some drama in the game; as it turns out this a pretty good advertisement for Arimaa.  It clearly shows that the top players have no real idea what is going on in the opening, middlegame, or endgame, which I think is attractive relative to the impression that grandmasters (or computers) know exactly what to think about everything.  Creating this video is yet another excellent service in your long list of excellent services to the community.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #212 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 1:06pm »

on Jan 24th, 2011, 12:09pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I finally got around to listening to this for the first time.  Thank you so much for making this video, Joel, and thank you Omar for linking it from the game room.  We were lucky that there was some drama in the game; as it turns out this a pretty good advertisement for Arimaa.  It clearly shows that the top players have no real idea what is going on in the opening, middlegame, or endgame, which I think is attractive relative to the impression that grandmasters (or computers) know exactly what to think about everything.  Creating this video is yet another excellent service in your long list of excellent services to the community.

Thank you; it's nice to feel your efforts have been worth it. Speaking of which, you have been going the extra mile yourself in providing commentary for so many games, so thanks to you too.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #213 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 1:43pm »

Yes, it's really an excellent video. Thanks to everyone who contributed to making it happen.

Joel how big is the file size for a single continuous video of this. The one I made was over 500 MB and was too big to upload to vimeo.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #214 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 3:47pm »

on Jan 27th, 2011, 1:43pm, omar wrote:
Yes, it's really an excellent video. Thanks to everyone who contributed to making it happen.

Joel how big is the file size for a single continuous video of this. The one I made was over 500 MB and was too big to upload to vimeo.

The FBR files generated by BB Flashback come to around 310 meg. The program uploaded straight to Youtube so I never had to convert to anything more conventional.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #215 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 1:51am »

Watching the TOLM videos reminded me the excitement of the Festival. I especially appreciate the visual pointing at the board spots as the thinking out loud goes (I understand it much quicker than square coordinates Wink )
I really hope we have another TOLM in the 2011 Festival!
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #216 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 4:37pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 1:51am, leo wrote:
I especially appreciate the visual pointing at the board spots as the thinking out loud goes (I understand it much quicker than square coordinates Wink )

I've been meaning to ask people about that. In general did people find the pointing helpful or was it annoying? Do people have any tips for next time?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #217 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 5:41pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 4:37pm, megajester wrote:
I've been meaning to ask people about that. In general did people find the pointing helpful or was it annoying?

I found the pointing extremely helpful, in particular when I said the wrong coordinates or wrong piece name, but you intelligently parsed what I was talking about and pointed at the correct place in spite of me.  Given that I found your error-correction helpful, I am sure it is invaluable to beginners who try to watch.

In general I liked the pointing so much, I found that I was disappointed to watch Omar's videos of the World Championship with no pointing.  But I understand that it is quite a chore to sit there the whole time the recording is being done simply in order to keep pointing at things.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.