Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20186 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #195 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 11:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 31st, 2010, 5:34pm, clojure wrote:

The radio broadcast was excellent, but if possible, it would be nice to reduce the delay between real time and the moment when radio listener hears voice. This made difference mainly when observing games.

Before the AOF I spent a lot of time experimenting with the settings to try and reduce the lag. The best I could do was reduce it to about 7 seconds.

Quote:

What I liked was that megajester and Omar had firm control over the whole thing. It felt like they directed the events without hesitation and it gave confident atmosphere.

Thanks. If only you knew how nervous I was Smiley

Quote:

One thing that we could do better is to see more newbies around. Maybe we should have some special event with a small prize (maybe by lottery). Advertising to different board forums didn't seem to yield results. Maybe personal connections worked better?

Yes, I think word of mouth is the best advertising. On the new player page someone said this: "Some guy's forum signiture". I'm sure the advertising on forums did help. Even though new people did not participate in the events, they did come to the site and learn about Arimaa.

Quote:

I think we could have this every 6 month. There's enough time so that it feels special and we can organize smaller "party hours" with different experimental events for keep the community interested.

A full day of events is quite tiring. I think once a year would be enough for me. However, we could probably do a one item event once a month. For example an interview with Karl or Jean about their book, a man vs machine match with commentary, a bot vs bot match with the developers commentating, a strategy workshop, and of course a think out loud match. One radio event per month would not be a burden and would be good to keep the momentum going. This along with a "join if you can" type tournament once a week (when other events are not scheduled) should help us start to build a critical mass of players.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #196 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 11:11am »

I like the monthly radio single event idea!
IP Logged

scratchwoodie
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4783

« Reply #197 on: Nov 3rd, 2010, 8:47am »

I'm currently too busy with other things. I missed the festival completely because of that, although I got the mail and thought "Oh yeah, lets go there on saturday evening".  
The messages in this topic tell me that I certainly did miss a unique event!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #198 on: Nov 5th, 2010, 12:19pm »

Yes, it was quite a special event. The blitz games were a blast to watch with all the fast action and live commentary. The event I liked the most was the Think Out Loud Match. You usually never know what the players are thinking during the game, so it was quite interesting to hear their thoughts while the game was in session.

We have the audio recording of the events saved.  
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/

I hope we can eventually merge the audios with a replay of the game and make some videos from them to post on the AOF event page. That would make it possible for people who missed the events to still catch the highlights and get a feel of what the event was like. Perhaps this would help increase the attendance next year.
IP Logged
paldepind
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #5829

« Reply #199 on: Nov 6th, 2010, 6:31am »

on Nov 5th, 2010, 12:19pm, omar wrote:

I hope we can eventually merge the audios with a replay of the game and make some videos from them to post on the AOF event page. That would make it possible for people who missed the events to still catch the highlights and get a feel of what the event was like. Perhaps this would help increase the attendance next year.

I can do that! Cheesy I just don't know where I can find the Think Out Loud Match replay?
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #200 on: Nov 6th, 2010, 4:49pm »

on Oct 31st, 2010, 11:55am, rbarreira wrote:

The first three parts are there right now.  

Part 1: Launch, Simultaneous match with Jean, Blitz Tournament
Part 2: End of the Blitz Tournament, discussion, Think Out Loud Match (starts around the 52:00 mark)
Part 3: Interview with Omar, State of the Challenge (starts around the 1:15:00 mark).

Part 4 will come later.

Is the Think Out Loud match not at the end of Part 2?

I think the Think Out Loud match is worthy of being uploaded to Youtube, in parts of course.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #201 on: Nov 9th, 2010, 11:28am »

Is there a video of the Strategy workshop? I started listening to the audio file, hoping to be able to follow just by replaying the game, but it sounds like Fritz displayed variations as well, that we can't guess from the audio I guess.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #202 on: Nov 9th, 2010, 11:06pm »

on Nov 6th, 2010, 6:31am, paldepind wrote:

I can do that! Cheesy I just don't know where I can find the Think Out Loud Match replay?

That would be terrific. You can find the audio file by going to http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp and select 'Omar's recordings'. The file should be 6_Think_Out_Load_Match.mp3

You can replay the game here:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=158702&s=w

If you select the 'real-time' and 'auto' check box the moves will automatically be made in the same time the players took during the game.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #203 on: Nov 9th, 2010, 11:13pm »

on Nov 9th, 2010, 11:28am, chessandgo wrote:
Is there a video of the Strategy workshop? I started listening to the audio file, hoping to be able to follow just by replaying the game, but it sounds like Fritz displayed variations as well, that we can't guess from the audio I guess.

I don't think there is a video for this.
IP Logged
paldepind
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #5829

« Reply #204 on: Nov 12th, 2010, 2:56am »

on Nov 9th, 2010, 11:06pm, omar wrote:

That would be terrific. You can find the audio file by going to http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp and select 'Omar's recordings'. The file should be 6_Think_Out_Load_Match.mp3

You can replay the game here:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=158702&s=w

If you select the 'real-time' and 'auto' check box the moves will automatically be made in the same time the players took during the game.

Thanks! If my video editing program doesn't screw up I'll get it done before the end of the week.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #205 on: Nov 12th, 2010, 2:40pm »

on Nov 12th, 2010, 2:56am, paldepind wrote:

Thanks! If my video editing program doesn't screw up I'll get it done before the end of the week.

Wow excellent! Thanks paldepind! I've dropped the ball a bit due to post-Festival fatigue, but I'm really enthusiastic about this video. I think it'll be an excellent showcase for newcomers to show just what Arimaa's like, as important as the "How to play" video on the homepage.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #206 on: Nov 12th, 2010, 6:11pm »

on Nov 12th, 2010, 2:40pm, megajester wrote:

Wow excellent! Thanks paldepind! I've dropped the ball a bit due to post-Festival fatigue, but I'm really enthusiastic about this video. I think it'll be an excellent showcase for newcomers to show just what Arimaa's like, as important as the "How to play" video on the homepage.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to how this video turns out. The TOL match was quite fun to watch so I'm hope this video will recreate that experience. Thanks for taking this on paldepind.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #207 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 4:19am »

I've started uploading the Think Out Loud match to Youtube. I wasn't able to do it all in one go, the next installment should come out in the next couple of days. Let me know what you think.

Clicky.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #208 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 12:57pm »

This is totally awesome!!!! Thanks so much for making this video Joel.

IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #209 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 7:54pm »

Finished (finally). I've collated the videos to form a playlist you can share.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.