Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 12:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 World Championship  (Read 21195 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: 2011 World Championship
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 1:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would expect Ivan and Trevor on the list as well. Will you participate?

P.S.: And what about Paul?
P.P.S.: What about onigawara?
P.P.P.S.: And hanzack ... didn't you change your mind ...
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2010, 5:10am by Hippo » IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #16 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 12:29pm »

I hadn't planned on it, I know I'm not one of the top 10-15 at this point, and hockey and school are starting up again in a couple weeks which really cut into the free time.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 4:10pm »

I count 23 registered players, which puts us right on the bubble.  If nobody else signs up, the preliminary tournament will have five rounds, but as soon as we hit 24 players the preliminary tournament expands to six rounds.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 3:23am »

Wow hanzack signed. Hope he will play his best Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 8:56am »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 3:23am, Hippo wrote:
Wow hanzack signed. Hope he will play his best Smiley

That's good news!  But hanzack's rating will play havoc with the tournament seedings.  Also tournament games are rated, so he will rob rating points from his opponents unless he resigns at the end of won games.  Perhaps Omar can negotiate for hazack to play rated games, not resign, and have his rating reset to 2000 before the tournament starts.
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #20 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 1:10pm »

on Dec 30th, 2010, 1:48am, Hippo wrote:
I would expect Ivan and Trevor on the list as well. Will you participate?

I'm not going to enter this year mainly due the fact that I suck, but don't worry guys I will watch the games and may do awful commentary on some.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #21 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 4:41am »

Ivan ... I suppose there are 3-4 persons with ambitions to gain WC title, around 16 with ambitions to make top 8. Even if  you don't have these ambitions, it's the best oportunity to play good games against good opponents.
You have learned a lot by watching. Participating is even much inspiring.
I hope you gain more confidenccenext year ... Smiley.

BTW: 27 participants ... amazing
And the skill levell,  ... with hanzack real skill in mind.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 9:41am »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 1:10pm, Eltripas wrote:
I'm not going to enter this year mainly due the fact that I suck, but don't worry guys I will watch the games and may do awful commentary on some.

Last year I would have seconded that logic, but in this year's field someone rated in the 1800's like yourself would have three or four good games out of the six rounds, so I don't think you need to hesitate.  Of course, as of my writing you only have eight hours left to change your mind.  Shocked
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #23 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 10:25am »

on Dec 31st, 2010, 8:56am, Fritzlein wrote:

That's good news!  But hanzack's rating will play havoc with the tournament seedings.  

The ratings for the tournament will use WHR ratings (in future years the WHRE ratings will be used once that system has more games) if available and then the gameroom ratings if the WHR rating is not available for a player. hanzack's WHR is about 1530 which is probably less than his true ability, but I think that is what will have to be used for the tournament for me to follow the stated rules. I'll mention this to the TD and see if he would like me to bump up the rating that we use for hanzack during the tournament.

Quote:

Also tournament games are rated, so he will rob rating points from his opponents unless he resigns at the end of won games.  Perhaps Omar can negotiate for hazack to play rated games, not resign, and have his rating reset to 2000 before the tournament starts.

hanzack's gameroom rating is currently 1324 and is definitely much lower than his ability due to his habit of resigning won games against bots and playing those as rated games. Since the tournament games will effect the gameroom ratings, it can cause hanzack's opponents on average to lose more rating points than would be expected. The players who have a higher gameroom rating than hanzack, but have less Arimaa experience than him will be most effected. However, I've been saying for a while now that the gameroom ratings are much less important since we have WHR ratings for seeding the tournaments. I myself have been letting my gameroom rating get thrashed by playing rated Blitz games and losing most of them on time. So even I would be causing my opponents to lose on average more gameroom rating points than would be expected. Thus, I don't think that I should modify hanzack's gameroom rating to try to minimize havoc. My apologies to players who would have their gameroom rating negatively impacted by players like hanzack and myself. However, keep in mind that the gameroom ratings are not a good reflection of your true ability and that the WHR and WHRE ratings are much better at measuring that.
IP Logged
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 10:41am »

So I noticed that the entry deadline is "6PM EST Saturday January 1st, 2011" and decided to make a last second decision to enter. What the heck. So, I made the required donation and I think the site said I was registered, but I did not see that my name was added/updated to the list of registered players. I got the paypal donation receipt. Can someone tell me if I managed to register successfully, or if there's something else I need to do. Thanks.
IP Logged
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #25 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 1:20pm »

Oh to hell with it, I'll have a few weeks yet before anything starts, and even then it doesn't eat ALL my time, especially not early on while homework's light.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #26 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 2:29pm »

on Jan 1st, 2011, 10:41am, qswanger wrote:
So I noticed that the entry deadline is "6PM EST Saturday January 1st, 2011" and decided to make a last second decision to enter. What the heck. So, I made the required donation and I think the site said I was registered, but I did not see that my name was added/updated to the list of registered players. I got the paypal donation receipt. Can someone tell me if I managed to register successfully, or if there's something else I need to do. Thanks.

Sorry for my delay in activating the registrations today. Yes, you are successfully registered now. Thanks for signing up and best of luck in your games.

We are now up to 31 players. We've surpassed the previous record of 26. I am really amazed at the turn out. This is definitely going to be the best World Championship tournament we've ever had. A big thanks to everyone who signed up.
IP Logged
Belteshazzar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5094

« Reply #27 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 4:02pm »

I clicked the option to register, but haven't donated to the prize fund yet. If I don't donate by the deadline (an hour from now), will it be too late?
IP Logged
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #28 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 4:56pm »

on Jan 1st, 2011, 9:41am, Fritzlein wrote:

Last year I would have seconded that logic, but in this year's field someone rated in the 1800's like yourself would have three or four good games out of the six rounds, so I don't think you need to hesitate.  Of course, as of my writing you only have eight hours left to change your mind.  Shocked

In fact the main reason is that I have a "situation" that doesn't requires to much time but may interfere any moment, the fact that I suck is the second reason with a close third being the lack of money because I just bought a new laptop. Hopefully I will be able to participate the next year.

on Jan 1st, 2011, 10:25am, omar wrote:

hanzack's gameroom rating is currently 1324 and is definitely much lower than his ability due to his habit of resigning won games against bots and playing those as rated games. Since the tournament games will effect the gameroom ratings, it can cause hanzack's opponents on average to lose more rating points than would be expected. The players who have a higher gameroom rating than hanzack, but have less Arimaa experience than him will be most effected. However, I've been saying for a while now that the gameroom ratings are much less important since we have WHR ratings for seeding the tournaments. I myself have been letting my gameroom rating get thrashed by playing rated Blitz games and losing most of them on time. So even I would be causing my opponents to lose on average more gameroom rating points than would be expected. Thus, I don't think that I should modify hanzack's gameroom rating to try to minimize havoc. My apologies to players who would have their gameroom rating negatively impacted by players like hanzack and myself. However, keep in mind that the gameroom ratings are not a good reflection of your true ability and that the WHR and WHRE ratings are much better at measuring that.

Modifying Hanzack's ratings doesn't just minimize havoc, Hanzack takes the rating issue seriously and may lose the games just to maintain his rating low, modifying Hanzack's rating could also remove his motivation to lose.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2011, 5:05pm by Eltripas » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 5:20pm »

Wow, over thirty players signed up for a tournament with an entry fee.  What an incredible day for Arimaa!  It is inspiring to see the Arimaa community keep growing steadily and surely.  Congratulations, Omar!
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2011, 5:21pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.