Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 11:47am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 World Championship  (Read 21192 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: 2011 World Championship
« Reply #30 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 5:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ivan, I hope the money are not the main reason ... if you don't  count time=money. Otherwise, we could support your appearence on WC.

I don't think there should be something done with hanzack rating. EXCEPT, some special penalty for intentional losing during WC. But I do think his plan is to play with c&g what does not allow intentional losing.

Yes we would share his previous intentional loses in our ratings, but I don't think it's a problem.
I use to play rated games against bots even when I know I am tired and I would not play my best. ... I suppose most of us does similarly.

In the preparation 30s turnament I attend even with a connection not allowing thinking ... the ratings will never reflect players abillities perfectly, they are just rather good approximation.
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 6:11pm »

Alright ... exactly 32 players! I smell a bracket!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 6:19pm »

on Jan 1st, 2011, 6:11pm, qswanger wrote:
Alright ... exactly 32 players! I smell a bracket!

Gosh, I was wondering whether we would have enough players (24) to mandate a six-round preliminary, and we almost got enough players (36) to mandate a seven-round preliminary.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #33 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 6:52pm »

on Jan 1st, 2011, 4:02pm, Belteshazzar wrote:
I clicked the option to register, but haven't donated to the prize fund yet. If I don't donate by the deadline (an hour from now), will it be too late?

I've activated your registration. You can send the donation after the deadline; no problem. There are also a few others who are in the same situation.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #34 on: Jan 1st, 2011, 6:58pm »

I am extending the registration deadline to 10pm EST in case we have more people change their mind about joining at the last minute.

IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #35 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 5:08pm »

The seeds are about to be determined, so if you still want them to be derived from ratings that are calculated on the basis of some empirically derived pair of WHR parameters, my latest values are 1.2 wins per 2.4 games and 170 Elo^2/day. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to lead to a change of the relative ranking of the participants.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #36 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:33pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2011, 5:08pm, aaaa wrote:
The seeds are about to be determined, so if you still want them to be derived from ratings that are calculated on the basis of some empirically derived pair of WHR parameters, my latest values are 1.2 wins per 2.4 games and 170 Elo^2/day. Of course, it doesn't necessarily have to lead to a change of the relative ranking of the participants.

aaaa, I am using the WHR values posted by woh. If you could also post your values somewhere we would be able to compare them and possibly use them in the future.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #37 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:36pm »

All players should have received the welcome message by now. In case anyone has not I have posted it here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/welcome.html

The most important thing for players to do right now is enter their preferred game times before Monday night 8pm EST.
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #38 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:36pm »

Is it possible to set up times with the opponents individually? When school starts back up again I will have free time (sorta) again but during the break I tend to work 70 hour weeks and have no specific time that I am free every week.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #39 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:52pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2011, 10:36pm, ginrunner wrote:
Is it possible to set up times with the opponents individually?

Yes, it is possible for you to agree on a time with your opponent.  However, in case you can't find a mutually agreeable time, it is necessary to go through the impartial scheduler for fairness sake.  Otherwise we could end in the impossible situation of having no game scheduled and both players claiming it was the other player's fault.

Each week you have to mark 60 times even if you don't have 60 times you can play during that week.  Mark the times you can play as one of the top four preferences and then mark as fifth preference enough extra times to get up to sixty.  Hopefully you will never get scheduled for a time you can't play, and if you do, hopefully you can work out an alternative time with your opponent, but if worst comes to worst, the scheduler time is what must be the official game time.
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #40 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:23am »

woohoo for bartending. all of my "best times" are 2am and after.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #41 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 6:27am »

I have decided that there will not be any ratings adjustment for specific players in this 2011 WC.  Even though there is evidence of rating manipulation, I can find no consistent standard by which I can distinguish ratings that should be adjusted from those that should not.  Even if inaccurate ratings could be reliably identified, there is no consistent procedure to adjust that rating.  There are many ways players have fun on this site, some of which affect ratings, and I don't think I can enumerate how the site should be used.

Furthermore, I assert that a six game Swiss qualifying round is not so overly sensitive to ratings error that the players making the cut would not all be deserving.  An underrated player may win in the early rounds, but will be forced to play the high rated players soon enough.  I realize there will be some effect, and that this effect is not desirable, but believe that this "noise" is not a domininant factor.

So the ruling is that no special action will be taken this year.

I would be interested in simulation experiments investigating the sensitivity of ratings inaccuracy on resulting standings after six rounds.  This would serve to confirm or refute my intuition.

TD
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #42 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:53am »

I would suggest having a ruling prepared if someone resigns a won game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #43 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:36pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:53am, jdb wrote:

Indeed, let's go beyond having a ruling prepared; let's talk to hanzack about his intentions in advance.  He is often in the chat room, so someone could open a dialog with him even if he isn't reading this thread.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: 2011 World ChampionshipMy first reaction is th
« Reply #44 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 5:35pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:53am, jdb wrote:

My first reaction is the resigning player loses the game.

Trying to find a more sinister motive, I can think of 1) to mess with our heads, man; or 2) a conspiracy to give wins to an undeserving player.

The first is annoying, but should have an effect on only standings near the bottom.  The incidental beneficiaries of improper resignations would be near the bottom to have games against the offending player.  The second would only work in the earliest rounds unless some very good players participated.  I don't expect that this year.  If it happens in any year, the community has a bigger problem than just the WC tournament.

This is a good time to voice concerns I haven't thought of yet.  These debates always help me be a better TD.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.