Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 World Championship  (Read 21189 times)
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

Re: 2011 World Championship
« Reply #90 on: Jan 10th, 2011, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

sorry it didn't work out, make sure you address you're game time as soon as there is a problem, many of us are willing to wake up in the middle of the night if we have to to play, but i won't schedule it if can avoid it  Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #91 on: Jan 10th, 2011, 10:22am »

on Jan 10th, 2011, 8:45am, qswanger wrote:
Well, Fritzlein responded with some suggestions and opinions about my scheduling issue and scheduling difficulties in general and I was about to quote him in my reply, but the post must have been deleted or something.

Sorry, I deleted my post because I thought it sounded unsympathetic in light of my having just been spared a loss due to the generosity of my opponent and due to a lenient ruling by RonWeasley.  I do think I would have been willing to take my timeout loss in good grace (and indeed I didn't think I would get a chance to replay it, and I was OK with that), but still where does recent history leave me to argue against bending the rules in this case to allow a time outside the scheduler?

I'm sorry the scheduler picked an unplayable time for you this round.  It really does stink.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #92 on: Jan 10th, 2011, 2:34pm »

As a tip to anyone who will ever have to face a shortage of time slots to pick from, the way the algorithm works, one's chances of getting a favorable time slot will improve not only from assigning an as low as possible preferential level to every impossible time slot that is picked, but also from maximizing the preferential levels of those time slots that are possible.
So here, if you've gotten less than 60 available time slots, best is to use only 1's (possible) and (obviously as few as possible) 5's (impossible). This will of course forgo any luxury of the algorithm preferring a better time slot amongst the possible ones, but as the saying goes, beggars can't be choosers.

Picking as few impossible time slots as possible is obviously best, so as to the question of which, one could pick the impossible time slots amongst those that are the furthest away from the middle of the weekend (by GMT reckoning), which is effectively practically the same as picking the earliest ones. As a bonus that would also increase the chances of being able to reschedule a game before the deadline.

Another more dubious, manipulative course of action would be to find out anything about the prospective opponent that could give a hint as to which time slots would be as unlikely as possible for that player and pick those as dummy time slots oneself.

I realize that this all might provoke "forfeiture fights" in the future, but it's meant only as a last resort for the desperate and I think that the effects of these "tactics" are to a certain extent an automation of the types of schedule renegotiations that we have grown accustom to here.

Conversely, if one is able to leisurely pick more time slots than is required, being courteous and not tactical would entail doing so.
IP Logged
Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #93 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 2:28am »

When should I have submitted a form about suitable game times? Thought it was before 7pm EST Tuesday. Can't play Monday 11.00 pm.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #94 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 8:44am »

You should enter your preferred times before 8pm EST Monday. If the scheduled time is not good you should contact your opponent and discuss a suitable time and update your preferred times to make the agreed time the highest rated and everything else lower than that. The scheduler will be run again at 8pm EST on Tuesday to set the final times.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011, 8:48am by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #95 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 9:34am »

Omar, would you be so good as to make http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/

link to http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/showGames.cgi

and http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2011_World_Championship

?
Thanks in advance!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #96 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 9:39am »

on Jan 11th, 2011, 2:28am, Heyckie wrote:
When should I have submitted a form about suitable game times? Thought it was before 7pm EST Tuesday. Can't play Monday 11.00 pm.

According to the rules, you can't change your time preferences without permission from Belteshazzar.  You should definitely contact him immediately.  In this case, however, I would recommend changing your times unilaterally even if you don't get a quick response from Belteshazzar, because he might be amenable to a change given your circumstances even if he isn't responding instantly to e-mail.  The worst that can happen is that he can insist on the original time, as he has a right to do anyway even if you wait for a response.

Of course it is open to abuse if people who didn't forget to change their times nevertheless claim that they forgot to change their times as a negotiating ploy, but given that we got a "set your times" warning message before the first round, I can understand if folks thought they would get a "set your times" warning message before every round.  I personally will be more and more likely to be hard-nosed about insisting on the scheduler time as the tournament progresses, particularly in the finals.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011, 9:48am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #97 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 10:43am »

Thanks for the reminder, Karl. I added the links.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #98 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 12:34pm »

on Jan 11th, 2011, 9:39am, Fritzlein wrote:

but given that we got a "set your times" warning message before the first round, I can understand if folks thought they would get a "set your times" warning message before every round.

I think the confusion might have arisen not because we weren't sent a warning per se, but because the link to the scheduler itself was to be found in an old e-mail. Or is there a general link somewhere?
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011, 12:39pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #99 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 6:02pm »

on Jan 11th, 2011, 12:34pm, The_Jeh wrote:

I think the confusion might have arisen not because we weren't sent a warning per se, but because the link to the scheduler itself was to be found in an old e-mail. Or is there a general link somewhere?

I still have no idea how to find the scheduler from the arimaa website.

Hanzack, we can talk about another time to play the game.  

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #100 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 7:35pm »

on Jan 11th, 2011, 6:02pm, jdb wrote:

I still have no idea how to find the scheduler from the arimaa website.

Hanzack, we can talk about another time to play the game.  

Jeff, the link to the scheduler is in the email:

Quote:

You can update your preferred times using this form
 http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/selectTimes.cgi?e=2011wc  
before the game time is finalized on Tuesday at
8pm EST. But do so only after agreeing on a new
time with your opponent.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #101 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 9:31pm »

on Jan 11th, 2011, 10:43am, omar wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Karl. I added the links.

Thanks, Omar.  It is convenient to have those pages two clicks away from the game room.

on Jan 11th, 2011, 7:35pm, omar wrote:
Jeff, the link to the scheduler is in the email:

Still, it might be convenient if the scheduling link were also available from the main World Championship tournament page.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011, 9:37pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #102 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 11:07pm »

OK, I added a link to 'Select Times' on the WC page.

If anyone ended up with a bad time due to not knowing where to enter your times, I'll consider it a tournament coordinator error and accept changing the time to something worked out with your opponent. But please do this ASAP and post the new time here in terms of how many days/hours to shift forward or back.
IP Logged
Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #103 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 4:06am »

Sorry for being too late submitting my time slot form and a big Thank You to Omar for rescheduling my game, hope the new time really is convenient for Belteshazzar too.

I'll make sure to fill the form on time from now on. I have a son turning 2 months this week, so my possible, let alone preferred, game times change pretty much every week.
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #104 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:04am »

on Jan 7th, 2011, 7:28pm, Janzert wrote:
Ocmiente, see the tournament simulation software Omar linked to above. Running various tournament formats with differing apparent and true ratings is exactly what it does.

Janzert

Thanks very much for the link to the code.  I downloaded it and managed to make my C# code work with it.  Here are the results for a 16 person triple elimination tournament:

Code:

./run4 'formats/FoySim' 100 16 500 50 0
  1   41.0%
  2   20.0%
  3   17.0%
  4    4.0%
  5    5.0%
  6    7.0%
  7    3.0%
  8    2.0%
  9    1.0%
average number of rounds = 10.72
minimum number of rounds = 9
maximum number of rounds = 12
average rating from best = 44.2

It took a while to run this (a few hours) because the framework relaunches my application for each tournament round.  If there is some kind of plug-in option that lets the scheduler avoid this app startup time, please let me know.  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.