Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting  (Read 12665 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Reply #15 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 10:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 1st, 2011, 8:43pm, Adanac wrote:
I can be a co-ordinator for the Wiki tournament page.  I'll update the standings and write a few reviews but I won't have enough time to do more than that this year.  Given the size of this year's tournament I think we should write short game summaries (2-3 sentences) for each game but maybe have a couple of "feature" games each week that have more in-depth analysis and diagrams.

Do you want me to send you any summaries I'm able to write?  If you want me (and other new writers) to directly add to the Wiki, who needs to set up an account for us?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #16 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 12:37am »

Thanks for the tips on how to produce a recording Thomas.

I've setup a folder called '2011 WC' where the audio and video files can be uploaded.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #17 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 12:38am »

on Jan 4th, 2011, 10:37pm, Nombril wrote:

Do you want me to send you any summaries I'm able to write?  If you want me (and other new writers) to directly add to the Wiki, who needs to set up an account for us?

I can setup that account for you.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 5:29am »

Thanks for creating the 2011 Wiki page Fritzlein -- the player list was a big help in this 33 player tournament!!  In case anyone isn't familiar with the Arimaa Wiki, here's a brief overview of the information for the World Championship:

The main page has a list of the participants and the standings at the bottom sorted by pre-tournament ranking.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2011_World_Championship

Every round will have its own page with standings sorted by number of wins, ties broken first by the Strength of Schedule formula then by pre-tournament rating.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2011_Open_Classic_Round_1

By the way, has anyone calculated the value of the Strength of Schedule variable yet?  I can calculate it also, but I'd like to verify that I'm matching the official number (which I did not do last year!)
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 10:42am »

on Jan 4th, 2011, 7:16am, omar wrote:
I've added the list of games for round 1 to the shared the event coverage sheet. Please try to help out with writing game highlights.

http://bit.ly/ghAOnC

I've taken the liberty of reordering the list of games according to when they will play. If you want to get it back to the way it was, unhide columns B and C, select ONLY the rows with game information in them (NOT the whole worksheet), and sort by column B.
IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #20 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 11:46am »

What is the Strength of Schedule formula? I'd kinda assumed apparently incorrectly that it was based solely on opponent's wins, but that would imply that everyone would have 0 at this point, instead of .5 or .03 (Can't even see where that number came from, although the .5 might be from according both players half a point until they play, which would make the standings be the standings after pairings as opposed to after the end of the previous round, which is reasonable, provided that the standings at the end of each round are also visible somewhere, although I guess that would make sense to be at the end of the prior round's page...

That stream kinda got away from me, so allow me to repeat the important part, a request for the formula used in determining Strength of Schedule.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #21 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 12:00pm »

on Jan 6th, 2011, 10:42am, megajester wrote:

I've taken the liberty of reordering the list of games according to when they will play. If you want to get it back to the way it was, unhide columns B and C, select ONLY the rows with game information in them (NOT the whole worksheet), and sort by column B.

Thanks for changing that Joel. It makes the list much easier to match up with the list in the gameroom. When I had entered the pairings the game times had not been finalized yet.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #22 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 12:04pm »

on Jan 6th, 2011, 11:46am, Sconibulus wrote:
What is the Strength of Schedule formula?

It is given on this page:    http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/rules.html
See #7 in the Tournament format section.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #23 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 12:09pm »

I've setup the tournament to use the Swiss algorithm which allows dropping out and late joins. I did this in case a player drops out of the tournament before it is over. Chances of this are higher when you have more players. It uses a slightly different SoS which was discussed in a thread that I can't seem to find right now. I hope this should be OK.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 1:33pm »

on Jan 6th, 2011, 12:04pm, omar wrote:

Omar, what value did you calculate for the F factor in this formula?  I just want to be sure that I'm using the same number for the tournament Wiki.

If someone drops out of the tournament will we re-calculate it?
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2011, 1:34pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jan 7th, 2011, 10:01am »

on Jan 6th, 2011, 12:04pm, omar wrote:

Hmmm, the rules don't say whether we should use the population standard deviation of 319.6455251 or the sample standard deviation of 324.6015652.  It seems the population number is more appropriate, but I'll wager the "stdev" function returns the sample number.  No big deal either way, because a small change in the F factor is extremely unlikely to change the order of the SoS, even if it changes everyone's value of SoS slightly.  The important point is that games against nearly-equal opponents count way more than games against opponents that are significantly above or below, which is ensured by either factor of F.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2011, 10:07am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jan 7th, 2011, 10:16am »

on Jan 7th, 2011, 10:01am, Fritzlein wrote:

Hmmm, the rules don't say whether we should use the population standard deviation of 319.6455251 or the sample standard deviation of 324.6015652.  It seems the population number is more appropriate, but I'll wager the "stdev" function returns the sample number.  No big deal either way, because a small change in the F factor is extremely unlikely to change the order of the SoS, even if it changes everyone's value of SoS slightly.  The important point is that games against nearly-equal opponents count way more than games against opponents that are significantly above or below, which is ensured by either factor of F.

I updated my program yesterday to use 3.746 as the F factor.  I agree with you that it probably doesn't matter either way but I'd like to confirm with Omar for consistency purposes (rounding to 3 digits should be close enough?)
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 4:53am »

There was a request in the chatroom to show the WHR ratings for both players in the same row.  The Table of Contents will now be updated each round with WHR for each player.  I'll show pre-tournament WHR every round rather than try to update it every week with the most recent rating.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2011_Open_Classic_Round_1
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2011, 10:54am by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 10:01am »

on Jan 8th, 2011, 4:53am, Adanac wrote:
There was a request in the chatroom to show the WHR ratings for both players in the same row.

Nice feature; thanks for including it.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 3:31pm »

Thanks!  Starting WHR makes the most sense for this tournament.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.