Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting  (Read 12660 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, I finally took the plunge of doing the whole chain myself: commentate/record/convert/upload.  I just followed ocmiente's instructions, and it wasn't difficult at all.  Now I am embarrassed that I avoided trying it for so long.  Tongue

It appears that this round we will have fourteen of the sixteen games commentated in all.  What an amazing effort by the Arimaa community!  I love being a part of a community where everyone pitches in.
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #46 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 9:53pm »

on Jan 18th, 2011, 10:29am, Adanac wrote:
I won't be able to spend too much time on Arimaa this week.  If there are still games from rounds 2 & 3 that do not have game reports by next Monday then I'll try to catch up as much as possible during week 4.

I did as many as I could today, but don't expect to have anymore time for writing game reports until after round 4 is finished.  I think The_Jeh is writing up a report on the game he did commentary for.  I don't know if anyone else is planning on writing a summary.

Here are some notes from the chatroom I copied in case anyone wants to use them in the game reports:

11:02:14 Fritzlein Oh, and I think you are dead on about 14g being the turning point of 99of9 vs. Tuks. I think gold was better until that point
05:55:52 chessandgo I think before 14g, your Horse is well placed on e5 Toby, ready to replace your E on e6. When you moved your H toward g5 and Tuks got his own horse blocking the way to e6, I think that was the turning point.

10:33:40 rabbits oh my! woh made a camel blunder, but megamau missed it!
10:36:42 rabbits 9s and 10g
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #47 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 12:20am »

I tried recording the audio and video for more games this round, but they didn't come out very well. The sync problem is still there. Also in some the volume did not come through. But I've uploaded them to the ftp area in case anyone wants to play around with them.

I recorded the chessandgo vs rabbits game in FLV format because that format doesn't have sync problems even through the file size comes out much bigger. I didn't want to miss this game. The FLV file is about 580 MB. I came across a really good screen recording program today and it seems to be producing small size files with good quality and synchronized audio/video. I re-recorded the chessandgo vs rabbits game and now the file is about 60 MB. I have uploaded it to the ftp area and also moved it over to the permanent area:
    http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/R3-chessandgo-rabbits.avi

I'm glad I was able to capture this one. Hopefully the future games will be recorded correctly.

The program I am using now is called 'ZD Soft Screen Recorder'. Just google for it and download it; it has a free 30 day trial. It is very inexpensive compared to most other similar programs. So it's really worth buying. You also need to install the LAME MP3 encoder.  
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqFXVCrPPc

The settings I use for ZD are:  
Video: Capture Selected View
frame rate: 10fps
Video Codec: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (don't mess with the Config options)
Audio: Capture from Speaker
Audio Codec: LAME Audio Encoder
Config: constant bit rate of 16 kbps; 22.05 kHz samples per second

If anyone else is planning to help with recording the AV I would highly recommend this program. It seems to be good at keeping the audio and video in sync while producing very small files.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2011, 12:24am by omar » IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #48 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 4:21am »

Does anybody have Hippo x Naveed audio? I would like to listen it and I am not able from the avi.

... I have increased volume by AUDIOCITY (or so) by 35dB ... there are disturbing noises, but most of the talk could be understood ...
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2011, 5:53pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #49 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 7:12am »

on Jan 24th, 2011, 12:20am, omar wrote:
I recorded the chessandgo vs rabbits game in FLV format because that format doesn't have sync problems even through the file size comes out much bigger. I didn't want to miss this game. The FLV file is about 580 MB. I came across a really good screen recording program today and it seems to be producing small size files with good quality and synchronized audio/video. I re-recorded the chessandgo vs rabbits game and now the file is about 60 MB. I have uploaded it to the ftp area and also moved it over to the permanent area:
    http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/R3-chessandgo-rabbits.avi

Thanks for the link Omar.  I have a couple of questions though:

In the Wiki, I'd like to put an audio/video link in each game's report section, just like in 2010.  However, I get an error message when I try to see which files are in the directory:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /arimaa/videos/2011wc/ on this server.

Even though I can't see the folder, I guessed at the URL link for the Nevermind-The_Jeh avi file.  However, this link didn't work:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/R2-Nevermind-The_Jeh.avi  

Is this in the directory yet or is it under a different name?  Thanks!
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #50 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 8:37am »

I am guessing that Omar has not copied the files over yet, and most of them are just on the ftp

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #51 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 1:44pm »

I've been on a month long vacation so far and missed the championship Sad

I'll attempt to do some write-up on round-3 games and upcoming rounds.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #52 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 4:18pm »

on Jan 24th, 2011, 1:44pm, camelback wrote:
I'll attempt to do some write-up on round-3 games and upcoming rounds.

Great, thanks for chipping in!

on Jan 24th, 2011, 1:44pm, camelback wrote:
I've been on a month long vacation so far and missed the championship Sad

You were vacationing somewhere with no Internet access? Huh  But luckily the World Championship has more ways for players to participate this year, even if they missed registration.  Specifically, you can listen to audio commentary and giving audio commentary.  Jump on in; the water's fine.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2011, 4:19pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #53 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 5:50pm »

Fritzlein x Hanzack.avi takes more than 5 hours, it started after the position becomes rather easy and real brodcasting ends at around 50-55 minutes. Cutting it would shorten the file significantly.
... and I could understand Fritzlein clearly and with big dificulties myself. ... I should work on it.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #54 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 9:44pm »

Round 4, I can give live audio on ocmiente vs. Nombril, hanzack vs. omar, and Nevermind vs. woh.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #55 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 1:23pm »

on Jan 24th, 2011, 9:44pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Round 4, I can give live audio on ocmiente vs. Nombril, hanzack vs. omar, and Nevermind vs. woh.

Updated at https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArwwZixnxnGrdGtGeXotbHlLc1BMVUk wRWRYVm5EbGc&hl=en&authkey=CKjA3IMK#gid=3

Unfortunately the night games I would otherwise comment are starting at 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 am. I don't think I would be awake for that.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2011, 1:33pm by Hippo » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #56 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 2:42pm »

Adanac, sorry I forgot to set view access for the 2011wc directory. Should be OK now.

Hippo; I messed up the audio for some of the games. I think Hippo vs naveed was one of them.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #57 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 2:58pm »

I've made changes on the server to implement time based delay of moves visible to the spectators.

For rated event games, the new implementation will delay the game moves by 3*T if the T parameter is available and by 2 moves (4 ply) if it is not available. Postal games will always be delayed by 2 moves. It works OK in the JavaScript and Flash V2 client. It kind of works in the Flash V1 client, but the timers are off.

Since the WC games have a maximum time per turn parameter, they will be delayed by time rather than by 2 turns. The preliminary games have T=4m so the moves of the game will appear 12 minutes after they were made. When the game ends the remaining moves don't all appear at once and continue to be time delayed.

Now we will be able to tell how long the players thought on each move. Also audio recordings can later be synced with the client running in auto-play mode.  

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2011, 2:59pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #58 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 6:48pm »

There seems to be a problem with the commentary spreadsheet.  The time slot 116 (for naveed vs. megamau and The_Jeh vs. chessandgo) corresponds to 1:00 Monday, but the games are scheduled a day earlier in the game room, for 1:00 Sunday.  I am afraid this problem is not actually a bug in the spreadsheet, but rather a bug in the way selected time slots are converted into scheduled games in the game room.

P.S.  There seems to be some kind of discontinuity around Friday, whereby games scheduled after Friday have all been moved 24 hours earlier.
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2011, 6:53pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #59 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 7:24pm »

on Jan 25th, 2011, 2:58pm, omar wrote:
I've made changes on the server to implement time based delay of moves visible to the spectators.

For rated event games, the new implementation will delay the game moves by 3*T if the T parameter is available and by 2 moves (4 ply) if it is not available. Postal games will always be delayed by 2 moves. It works OK in the JavaScript and Flash V2 client. It kind of works in the Flash V1 client, but the timers are off.

Since the WC games have a maximum time per turn parameter, they will be delayed by time rather than by 2 turns. The preliminary games have T=4m so the moves of the game will appear 12 minutes after they were made. When the game ends the remaining moves don't all appear at once and continue to be time delayed.

Now we will be able to tell how long the players thought on each move. Also audio recordings can later be synced with the client running in auto-play mode.  

Thanks Omar -- that sounds like a really great improvement, for both types of synchronization!  We should remind the players when they re-enter the chatroom that if there was a close rabbit-race finish that they should keep the winner a secret.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.