Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting  (Read 12670 times)
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

Re: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 6:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the Round 1 standings the player who recieved a Bye has a SoS of 0.0132, the same as the players who won their first round game. I would expect a value of 0.0000 since this player has had no opponent so far.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 8:38am »

on Jan 12th, 2011, 6:19am, woh wrote:
In the Round 1 standings the player who recieved a Bye has a SoS of 0.0132, the same as the players who won their first round game. I would expect a value of 0.0000 since this player has had no opponent so far.

I'll wait for a ruling from Omar or Ned on this one before updating my program for the Wiki standings.  I credit them with having a "0 win opponent" which is different than an opponent that provides no SoS.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #32 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 1:36pm »

on Jan 12th, 2011, 8:38am, Adanac wrote:

I'll wait for a ruling from Omar or Ned on this one before updating my program for the Wiki standings.  I credit them with having a "0 win opponent" which is different than an opponent that provides no SoS.

I see the spreadsheet is up for round 2 -- thanks Omar.  I've volunteered for the 1st 2 games (commentary & highlights).  After that I'll have a very busy weekend and I won't be able to commentate at all or even watch games.  I will however, update the Wiki standings each night after all the evening games are complete.

In week 3 I'm scheduled to have corrective laser eye surgery and I have to minimize eye strain.  So I'll hope for a late Sunday/Monday game and I'll be doing very little other than quickly keeping the Wiki standings up-to-date and then logging out.  Absolutely no commentating or game highlights for me next week!!
IP Logged

JoeHead
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4979

« Reply #33 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 1:58pm »

I must express my thanks and admiration when I see such careful and quality coverage on wikipedia.
Very fine job is done.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 10:35pm »

on Jan 12th, 2011, 1:36pm, Adanac wrote:
After that I'll have a very busy weekend and I won't be able to commentate at all or even watch games.

Thanks for the warning!  I'll plan on writing up a few more games.

If there is anyone willing to pitch in for the next two weekends with a few write ups, but doesn't want to deal with the diagrams or Wiki, I'm willing to take any text and put it on-line.  I'll even do the diagram if you tell me what move you want shown.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 8:22pm »

I will be in a position to give commentary this Sunday.  I'm so eager that I have signed up for both Nombril vs. chessandgo and for ocmiente vs. Tuks.  Perhaps this will leave me tired heading into my game against Hippo, but I can't resist.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #36 on: Jan 17th, 2011, 10:26am »

Omar, for the commentary that is already captured, could you put it in the permanent location so that it can be linked from the event reporting page?  That would make it convenient to find which games have audio, and also have the written commentary and link to the board all together in one place with the audio link.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #37 on: Jan 17th, 2011, 11:15pm »

I'm going to try to commentate three games this round: Heyckie vs. Nombril on Saturday morning before I ruin my voice yelling while I play frisbee, and then Adanac vs. Nevermind and chessandgo vs. rabbits on Sunday after my voice has recovered overnight.  Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #38 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 8:45am »

on Jan 12th, 2011, 8:38am, Adanac wrote:

Here are the SoS values being used by the WC pairing program. It is the second number after the username. It is the SoS value going into the round.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/showGames.cgi?e=2011wc

Here is the pairing program:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2011/swissJuhnkeDJ

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #39 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 9:02am »

on Jan 17th, 2011, 10:26am, Fritzlein wrote:
Omar, for the commentary that is already captured, could you put it in the permanent location so that it can be linked from the event reporting page?  That would make it convenient to find which games have audio, and also have the written commentary and link to the board all together in one place with the audio link.

Originally I was just capturing the audio, thinking that I will go back and make a video from it by running the game client in auto-play mode, but the 2 move delay messes up the synchronizing. So we have to capture both audio and video at the same time.

Capturing the commentary has not been working well for me this year. I am using Camtasia 7, which is what I had used last year. But I forgot to write down the settings I had used and I'm not being able to find the right settings again. First I was having problems with the audio not getting recorded at all. Then I had problems with the video replay being slanted. Now I seem to be having problems with the A/V sync getting worse as the video progresses. I've uploaded the files to the ftp area. I don't think any are really good enough to move to the permenant storage.

I need to continue experimenting with the settings to eliminate the sync problem. Each test takes a while since the video needs to be captured for about 30 minutes to check if the sync is right.

I'm using MPEG4 encoding for video and MP3 for audio; the frame rate is 10 per second. It produces small files (under 1 MB per minute) and the A/V quality is pretty good.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:11am »

Synchronized audio and video is wonderful, but even when that isn't possible or convenient, the audio alone has considerable value.  One can open the game and manually replay the moves along with the commentary.  It would be a shame if all the audio recordings are discarded (or not even captured!) because we let a desire for video get in the way.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #41 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:29am »

I won't be able to spend too much time on Arimaa this week.  If there are still games from rounds 2 & 3 that do not have game reports by next Monday then I'll try to catch up as much as possible during week 4.  I will briefly log in a few times this weekend to update the standings on the Wiki.

A big thanks to everyone who helped out in round 2 and is planning to create reports in round 3  Smiley  And, of course, thanks again to Omar and Ned for running a great World Championship tournament!
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2011, 10:31am by Adanac » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #42 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 3:26pm »

on Jan 18th, 2011, 10:11am, Fritzlein wrote:
Synchronized audio and video is wonderful, but even when that isn't possible or convenient, the audio alone has considerable value.  One can open the game and manually replay the moves along with the commentary.  It would be a shame if all the audio recordings are discarded (or not even captured!) because we let a desire for video get in the way.

Yes, I had put up the audio files I had capture up there also.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #43 on: Jan 19th, 2011, 4:14pm »

on Jan 19th, 2011, 3:26pm, omar wrote:
Yes, I had put up the audio files I had capture up there also.

Oh, great.  So they are in their permanent location and can be linked from the games in the event report wiki?  What is the directory so that I can do the linking?
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #44 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 2:55pm »

Just wanted to thank everyone who has commented on wiki or had radio broadcast (+ of course for organizers).

It makes the games so much more accessible to digest and fun to watch.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.