Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2012 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2012 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2012 World Championship  (Read 9102 times)
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: 2012 World Championship
« Reply #75 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 1:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, that is the correct time.  Greg needed to play on Monday, and was kind enough to plan for the time that worked best in my Monday schedule.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #76 on: Feb 25th, 2012, 1:51pm »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 12:44pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Well, at least I put on a good show while going down in flames.  Hanzack's victory over me had 48 peak radio viewers, not only a record for the tournament, but a record for all time.

And we eked out another record: 49 peak listeners for chessandgo's victory over me.  If we are already this high, who know how many we can attract for the final?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #77 on: Feb 26th, 2012, 12:00am »

With some promotion shortly be before the final game on other sites, we should be able to cross 50.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #78 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 5:13pm »

on Feb 9th, 2012, 10:45am, Fritzlein wrote:
When someone at the top of a group gets to play down against the bottom of the next-lower score group, it will work like a mini-bye for him; the next round he will not be at the top of his score group.  Meanwhile the lower player who got rocked with a hard game will probably lose but will be compensated with an easier pairing next round as he will have risen within his score group thanks to relative performance rating.

Does this theory seem reasonable?

It did seem reasonable, until I realized what that would mean for one of the two worst-seeded players in a tournament with 2 or 3 players modulo 4.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2012, 5:14pm by aaaa » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #79 on: Feb 27th, 2012, 9:20pm »

on Feb 27th, 2012, 5:13pm, aaaa wrote:
It did seem reasonable, until I realized what that would mean for one of the two worst-seeded players in a tournament with 2 or 3 players modulo 4.

I understand that with in-tournament ratings based on an everyone-is-equal prior, ties broken by seed (as at present), the bottom player stays at the bottom even after getting crushed by the top seed.  Under the current scheme he might not live long enough to be rewarded for tougher pairings than other players in the losers' bracket.  But would the bottom players have to "play up" multiple times in a row if the in-tournament performance rating were based on a weak prior equal to everyone's pre-tournament WHR?  I thought not, which is why I proposed two changes instead of just one.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Mar 5th, 2012, 11:21am »

on Feb 8th, 2012, 11:59pm, Nombril wrote:
(PPS: If I manage to get that close to the top - I'd be happy to play a "casual" game at an announced time to settle matters  Tongue )

And it has come to that: Adanac and Nombril tie for 3rd/4th by getting eliminated with four wins each.  I, for one, would be happy to see a playoff game for the glory (i.e. for who gets listed here) even though the extra game wouldn't affect the distribution of the prize money.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #81 on: Mar 5th, 2012, 11:39am »

Hanzack now needs only one victory for the title, whereas chessandgo needs three straight.  If the current WHRH ratings are accurate (and we have no reason to believe they are Tongue) then chessandgo is ahead by 95 elo points, which gives him a 25% chance of winning three straight.  Not great odds, but if he pulls it off, he will have bounced back from losing two of his first three games to finish with seven straight wins.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #82 on: Mar 5th, 2012, 5:37pm »

In either case nobody could won against hanzack in the bye's gathering race.

What were theoretical lower and upper bounds for the number of rounds for triple elimination for 11 players?

Are we already cut from the extremes?
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #83 on: Mar 7th, 2012, 7:35pm »

Adanac and I are discussing playing a game for (unofficial?) 3rd place, probably Saturday morning.

After we settle on a time, should it be set as an official Event game?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #84 on: Mar 7th, 2012, 7:47pm »

on Mar 7th, 2012, 7:35pm, Nombril wrote:
Adanac and I are discussing playing a game for (unofficial?) 3rd place, probably Saturday morning.

After we settle on a time, should it be set as an official Event game?

I vote that it be marked as an event game so that it will be easy to find along with the other games.  Omar has made it clear that the game wouldn't count for prize money, but I doubt that the prize money is automatically calculated anyway, so it shouldn't mess anything up to designate the tiebreaker as belonging to the event.

Since there is no official tiebreaker for third place according the rules, I suppose Omar and mistre should put their heads together and make a ruling on whether to recognize the result of the game as meaningful, but I don't see any reason why not if both of the tied players agree that it should count.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #85 on: Mar 8th, 2012, 1:00pm »

Technically speaking, this game would have their players directly selected by hand, which would go against the premise of the event game label.
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #86 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 9:29am »

I like the idea of one additional game for determining 3rd place.  This should take place before the championship games as to not require an extra week.  This should be written into the rules for next year.

Since there has always been a 3rd place finisher listed here - http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/ - then shouldn't there be a sole 3rd place finisher this year? Has their never been a tie for 3rd before?

As for this year, I guess the question is should the unofficial game of Nombril-Adanac decide the 3rd place finisher?  Also, what about Fritzlein who though he had only 3 wins, had a higher internal performance rating than Nombril?

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #87 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 12:14pm »

on Mar 9th, 2012, 9:29am, mistre wrote:
Also, what about Fritzlein who though he had only 3 wins, had a higher internal performance rating than Nombril?

Performance rating has never had any role in determining place; it has always been number of wins.  I think that it would be a big stretch to deviate mid-tournament from number of wins determining place of finish.  This is in contrast to tiebreaker games which are an established tradition.  I'm not entirely clear on why the tiebreaker game was eliminated, but my best guess was that Omar didn't want the extra game to be part of prize money or spectator contest considerations.  If that's the only reason, then there is a simple solution: say explicitly that the extra game doesn't count for prize money or the spectator contest.  Smiley

I hope the Adanac-Nombril tiebreaker game happens whether or not it has any official sanction; I want to see it simply as a spectator.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #88 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 12:54pm »

Because it's theoretically possible with triple elimination to need up to 3 rounds of tiebreaker games for a strict podium, Omar simply decided to do away with them altogether (source).
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #89 on: Mar 9th, 2012, 4:20pm »

Adanac and I will play at time slot 62, tomorrow morning, it is 7AM central time for me.

I disagree that we have "selected by hand" since I declared weeks ago that I was willing to have a tie breaker game with anyone who was eliminated during the same round as me.  But I don't care either way for the WHRE - my main motivation was to hope the game would be scheduled in the gameroom so spectators could be aware of it.

(Daylight savings is later in the weekend, I recall some confusion on when different scheduled times changed in different time zones last year, so I hope the game Monday morning is OK!)
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.