Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 12:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « GNU Go developers »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   GNU Go developers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: GNU Go developers  (Read 1861 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

GNU Go developers
« on: Apr 24th, 2006, 1:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Random tidibt: I just noticed the developers page for GNU Go at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnugo/devel.html lists Don Dailey, Inge Wallin, and Paul Pogonyshev as contributors.  Not that this should surprise me.  I wonder if any of our bot developers have selected Arimaa as their first game to write a bot for.

Anyway, there may be a perception out there that bots don't rule Arimaa yet only because serious developers haven't taken up the challenge.  I say piffle.  Our Arimaa developers have creds.  It just happens to be a hard problem.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: GNU Go developers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 2:09pm »

Errrr ... may I ask who you're referring to ?  Huh I've got the unpleasant feeling to be targeted here  Roll Eyes

Friendly

Jean
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 4:28pm »

Don Dailey wrote the sample bot, the Arimaazilla family of bots, and bot_Occam.  Paul Pogonyshev and Inge Wallin wrote bot_Aamira.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 8:03pm »

I meant "[people who think] that no serious developper ..."
?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 8:39pm »

on Apr 24th, 2006, 8:03pm, chessandgo wrote:
I meant "[people who think] that no serious developper ..."
?

Oh, I wasn't referring to anyone here.  I sometimes do a search for Web references to Arimaa and go down a few hundred hits looking for what uninformed folks say about Arimaa on some blog.

I'd say most of the comments are positive.  Of the negative ones it is actually more common to hear, "It's dumb to make a game just so computers can't play it.  You should make a game that is fun for humans to play."  Or else, "It's easy to make a game that humans can beat computers at.  Just allow multiple moves per side."  The latter comment clearly comes from people who haven't tried to design a game, and the former from people who haven't played Arimaa!

Anyway, why did you feel I might be referring to you?  Have you said that the bot developers so far haven't been top notch?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.