Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 1:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa Puzzle Server »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Arimaa Puzzle Server
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa Puzzle Server  (Read 1961 times)
Werner
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa Puzzle Server
« on: Aug 25th, 2007, 7:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Inspired by Chess Tactics Server, I suggest Arimaa community to set up a new website solely dedicated on Arimaa Puzzles. This helps beginners to learn interactively with puzzles analysed by bots. (The bot used in Chess Tactics Server was Crafty, which is nonetheless mediocre, but clearly adequate for sub-GM level) Detailed analysis by bot_BombP4, moves up to 4-ply should be shown to players. Thank you for your attention on this issue.
IP Logged

\
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Arimaa Puzzle Server
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 9:15am »

This is an interesting idea, Jan. But I fear there are so few arimaa puzzles right now that the need for a dedicated structure is not so strong.  
I had a look at the CTS, but didn't see any bot analysis ... did I miss somehting ? As for Bomb P4, would such a thing terminates within a reasonable amount of time ?
Thanks for sharing new ideas anyway !
IP Logged

Werner
Forum Senior Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 2:37am »

[QUOTE=Chessandgo]But I fear there are so few arimaa puzzles right now that the need for a dedicated structure is not so strong. [/quote]

I was a dedicated player on Chess Tactics Server. I have solved more than 30000 problems over there, both of my 2 handles (One of them is Iowaplayer) have ranked in the top 10 amongst more than 1000 active players.  

While some problems over there are not complete puzzles leading to mate, The solution of problems included on CTS were based on the best move of a particular position. If one responded with a second-best move or other moves, then it is considered as a failure there. In Arimaa, the same applies. Despite the moves are more complicated for bot analysis, creating problems would not be difficult as there are abundant positions amongst 60000 games in Arimaa's database.

Nevertheless, the time regime in CTS is too stringent, such that it requires very quick reaction as well as memorised positions of the players for obtaining very high ratings in CTS (There are around 10000 of them within a player's window)

Crafty gives a reasonably good analysis for every problems over there.  

I suggest detailed analysis by bot_BombP4, moves up to 4-ply should be shown to players in every problems in Arimaa Puzzles Server.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2007, 2:38am by Werner » IP Logged

\
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 9:02am »

Inspired by the tough puzzle Fritzlein had found in one of his games, I had run Bomb on a lot of archived games to pull out goal in 2 type puzzles. There is a link for the puzzles file on the Games page:
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/

This would probably be a good starting point for setting up a puzzle server. Though a lot of the puzzles are not very hard, they could be made harder by limiting the amount of time to find the solution.  

If there is interest I can continue running Bomb on the rest of the games.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #4 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 9:44am »

on Apr 1st, 2008, 9:02am, omar wrote:
Inspired by the tough puzzle Fritzlein had found in one of his games, I had run Bomb on a lot of archived games to pull out goal in 2 type puzzles. There is a link for the puzzles file on the Games page:
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/

This would probably be a good starting point for setting up a puzzle server. Though a lot of the puzzles are not very hard, they could be made harder by limiting the amount of time to find the solution.  

If there is interest I can continue running Bomb on the rest of the games.

It is nice, I appreciate it - just go on. BTW is this a way how to replay these puzzles automatically.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.