Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 3:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest  (Read 22537 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest
« Reply #150 on: Nov 21st, 2010, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

rock - scissors - paper played by the top programs ...
http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=8234903

Starting with 0/40 options on normal bidding or something more as superbid.

On 1st turn both player passed.

On 2nd turn bix0r4ever went for 40.

On 3rd turn bocsimacko had to bid at least 41 and at most 80 more than bix0r4ever or bidding less than bix0r4ever.
Bosimacko went to middle position and bid 41, and  bix0r4ever went to low position and passed. So this rsp was locally won by bosimacko (anything in range 1-41 bid by bix0r4ever would result in bosimacko's loss).

On 4th turn bix0r4ever had to bid at least 6 more and at most 41 more than bosimacko or 40 less than bosimacko. bix0r4ever bid highest possible bid ... 75, but bosimacko passed gaining globalwin.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2010, 5:02pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #151 on: Nov 27th, 2010, 11:07pm »

So finally after a week of thorough testing I have returned back to the bot already participating in the contest ... but than I have changed mind and returned to sume version in between. It would be success to finish in the first hundred, I hope I would not end at 200 or more (with almost all the time being in the first hundred expect today ...).

I have not implemented "planet clouds" my heuristic to chose planets to colonize remain very easy. There were a lot of ways I went which didn't went to improvements ...
I have tried to not be so eager, so now my bot is able to wait. Unfortunately, I am not sure I wait in proper time so it may play worse than original eager one.

I hope it fights better in close fights now, but in global fights it plays really badly. ...
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #152 on: Nov 28th, 2010, 2:05pm »

Seems letting the bot without changes would be much better. The current version not only does not intended bug correction, but it introduced several more Sad ... So I would definitlety finish around 250 Sad
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #153 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 1:25pm »

on Oct 6th, 2010, 6:11pm, Hippo wrote:
What a blunder at 151th turn and the leading bot reblundered back at 152 ... http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=5519712. There is still room for good bots ...

on Oct 7th, 2010, 6:25pm, jdb wrote:
I find it interesting, every time I try and take a shortcut, it turns out to be a mistake. For example, initially it didn't worry about planets that would be captured later. Ooops, very important. Then I assumed it was always the best play to defend your planets first. Also a big mistake. So I need to change some stuff around to make things more general. It looks like any simplifying assumption is likely to be a mistake.

Yes, the game turned out to be very complex, and simplifying assumptions seemed to only carry a bot a limited distance before they proved flawed.  That's the sign of a good AI contest.  I regret being distracted from this contest (and from Arimaa) if my absence sapped the motivation of you two.  You each made enough progress that being competitive at the top seemed within reach given more support, but alas, other things have drawn away my time of late.

Hippo, I see you are ranked #260 at present in the ongoing finals.  Well done!
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #154 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 3:21pm »

Smiley I suppose I would end around 150th without the last minute changes. I am rather disapointed, but there are games whose made me happy ...  
http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=9191158
Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #155 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 11:38am »

Looks like the contest is over now. Good finish Hippo. Placing 297 out of over 4600 is quite an achievement. I didn't see jdb or Janzert; just wondering how they did.

Amazingly the 1st place finisher is 200 points above 2nd place. Wow.

Now that the contest is over, I think it should be OK to post about the Arimaa AI Challenge in the Misc section of their forum; in case some of the contests there want another challenge.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #156 on: Dec 3rd, 2010, 2:41pm »

I gave up the option to participate in the contest when I volunteered to take over system administration and coding for the contest. That in itself was certainly a great experience.

I have mentioned Arimaa a few times in the IRC channel and I know at least a few people seemed to find it interesting. Overall I'm not sure how many people will cross over to Arimaa though. For one, while the top players certainly tend to be experienced programmers the contest itself is targeted more at the beginning programmer. Also since both google sponsored contests have featured fairly visual, quick games I'm not sure how many will find an abstract strategy game interesting. It'll be great if we can pick up even a few more bot developers though.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2010, 2:42pm by Janzert » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #157 on: Dec 6th, 2010, 7:30am »

I finally got the ability to view these games a few days ago.  This was a great AI contest.  Congratulations Hippo for performing so well!
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #158 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 5:00am »

Thanks to all who congratulated me Smiley I would be happy with my appearance in the contest if I would stop with experimental entry with few improvements. ... which would end much better than the bot I have finally chosen.

My disapointment is not to the contest but to the fact the first attempts were so successful that all the codding done later went to worse results ... and there were a lot of ways to try.
I had big problems with time management ... never know how many time I could spent on it so some plans were not codded ... I never went for backtracking ... to chose among several plans.

Actually I have expected the best bots play a bit better ... it seems to me few of them (if some) colonised strategical planets not to gain actual growth but to secure future growth ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.