Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest  (Read 22546 times)
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

Re: Google AI Contest Galactic Conquest
« Reply #135 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 6th, 2010, 6:11pm, Hippo wrote:
What a blunder at 151th turn and the leading bot reblundered back at 152 ... http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=5519712. There is still room for good bots ...

Wow, blue could have taken everything. I guess the blue bot was programmed to defend first, and think about capturing planets later. Looks like this is a mistake. I'll have to rethink the strategy my bot is using.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #136 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 8:25am »

I'm just wondering how the teams from the Arimaa community are doing in this contest. What are you positions on the ranking list? It must be really tough with almost 3,000 teams participating.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #137 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 10:50am »

on Oct 7th, 2010, 8:25am, omar wrote:
I'm just wondering how the teams from the Arimaa community are doing in this contest. What are you positions on the ranking list? It must be really tough with almost 3,000 teams participating.

I have started to write more competetive bot, but the first version is ranked somewhere in range 55 to 88 Smiley. I have predicted to be in the first 600 Smiley....
IP Logged

jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #138 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 6:25pm »

I find it interesting, every time I try and take a shortcut, it turns out to be a mistake. For example, initially it didn't worry about planets that would be captured later. Ooops, very important. Then I assumed it was always the best play to defend your planets first. Also a big mistake. So I need to change some stuff around to make things more general. It looks like any simplifying assumption is likely to be a mistake.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #139 on: Oct 8th, 2010, 8:03pm »

on Oct 7th, 2010, 10:50am, Hippo wrote:

I have started to write more competetive bot, but the first version is ranked somewhere in range 55 to 88 Smiley. I have predicted to be in the first 600 Smiley....

Wow, that's a very good start!!! You might even finish in the top 10 Smiley
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #140 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 12:00pm »

on Oct 8th, 2010, 8:03pm, omar wrote:

Wow, that's a very good start!!! You might even finish in the top 10 Smiley

... first code in java ... I have big problems with syntax and precodded data structures ...

I wonder how would Fritzlein's bot ended Smiley. ... I must got a lot of luck with bot almost without planning Smiley.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #141 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 2:48pm »

I have improved attacking exposed enemy and centralisation principle in the simple version of bot ... not the revolutionary one I have planned, just the evolution ... it performs rather well.

What a stupid 2nd move Sad http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=413280

And the bug on 9th move I know about ... http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=5722947

Uf http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=415053

What a stupid 63rd move ... http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=415053
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2010, 4:19pm by Hippo » IP Logged

jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #142 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 8:14pm »

Very nice.

Its a good sign if you know where your bot makes the mistake. Its alot more depressing when you look over a game and have no idea what went wrong.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #143 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 5:30pm »

on Sep 17th, 2010, 3:05am, Hippo wrote:
So on 30 with 1 grow rate on neutral planet one should wait several ... well defined number of turns.
But if nothing happens till then the rock-scissor-paper again appears (not calculated).
You can chose where to sent the 21 troops ... if opponent does expected attack, this increases his stock need by 21 troops so he probably loses the planet one turn earlier than he expects ... losing 2 ships to his expectation.

But with stalemate winning by 2 is good enough.
Oh wait it is not by 2, the planet is lost forever.

Yes this is very risky counterstrategy as waiting one more turn leads to much higher victory.
But again in stalemate the size of victory does not matter.

It just demonstrates that the strategy does not dominate all remaining.

So send to yours, send to enemies, do nothing seems to be correct options for turn X. I don't think attacking both neutrals on turn X could be helpful, but I could be wrong.

Yes attacking both loses to attacking opponent only as well as to do nothing. While attacking opponent's loses only to do nothing.
Attacking yours wins against do nothing (by 1 ship).

Oh after some more thinking waiting several more turns to start attacking by player A  the neutral planet does not help.  
For growth 2:
Opponent (B) could respond by sending all ships to home planet of A.
Exchange of homes means losing the neutral, the other option is to wait till the fleets land. Exactly same situation as when started on first turn appears.
B could sent 20 ships turn before the fleet lands to the neutral. This leads to neutral changing owner after 4 turns. Next 5 turns reinforcements of size 5 are required for B to hold the planet while letting sufficient defense.  
A has not enough ships to retake the control and don't lose home planet for exchange.

For growth 1 the situation is simillar, but the planet could be captured by B 2 turns earlier by 10 ships, reinforcements by 5 ships for next 7 turns while the home planet of B remains safe. A again could not recapture the planet and loses.

Growth rate 3 is OK for A ... never losing the planet.

----------------------------
http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=489597 Interesting game ... initial lead against supperior fighter.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2010, 5:58pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #144 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 2:00am »

http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=700243
Victory thanks to capturing zero-growth planet.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #145 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 12:19pm »

Very nice and quite impressive as your opponent Accoun was recently in 1st place on the official server.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #146 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 1:01am »

on Oct 26th, 2010, 2:00am, Hippo wrote:
http://72.44.46.68/canvas?game_id=700243
Victory thanks to capturing zero-growth planet.

Congratulations. I see you're managing to stay on the first page of the rankings even though the number of teams has gone up to about 3800 from 3000 when I last checked. Quite impressive.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #147 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:47am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 1:01am, omar wrote:

Congratulations. I see you're managing to stay on the first page of the rankings even though the number of teams has gone up to about 3800 from 3000 when I last checked. Quite impressive.

Smiley I have spent a lot of time thinking and implementing, but I am not sure I would finish "the good bot". I have made some local improvements to the "silly bot", but interesting thing is when you improve heuristic in one way, you start gaining somewhere and losing somwhere else. So good way for improvement is just to correct evident bugs.

(Not capturing nearby opponent's planet seems to be the biggest issue, but attacking neutrals in opponent influence is another one. Correct estimate when the neutrals should be captured instead of centralisation and correct filtering of uninteresting neutrals, better time management (pondering) .... I am not sure incremental Delanay triangulation could help.
Proper influence calculation, leaving planets for gaining other ones seems to remain forever on the to_do list.
I am not sure my bot will ever be able to play well the MAP30 with small growth....)

I felt to around 130, but now I am going back ... without an upgrade.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:55am by Hippo » IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #148 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 6:30am »

I like the game style of this one guy ... http://ai-contest.com/profile.php?user_id=10464.
I wish I would do so small amount of blunders Smiley ...
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #149 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 7:43am »

Grr, why I have started to play the planetwars Sad ... I have chosen to "improve" the algorithm, by making computation more complex.
The bot improved and I have discovered there were bug in the code making it play worse ... (at least according my expectations).

It is not programming, it's alchemy Sad ... I am going to add some more heuristics and not to try to compute it better Smiley.
After correcting the "bug" the bot plays much worse so ... I would probably continue to use the bug as "planned" good guess.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2010, 7:44am by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.