Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hello »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 7513 times)
BlakeD
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #9091

Hello
« on: Dec 21st, 2013, 1:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello from a new Arimaa enthusiast. After watching the recent world chess championship I was reading some chess articles and stumbled upon the Arimaa wikipedia page. Since then I've been hooked and trying to get up to speed as much as possible. The video library of the past championship games with commentary are a great learning tool, and I'll be ordering the Arimaa books soon. And although I have no illusion of providing serious competition, I registered for the Arimaa WC in hopes of gaining some valuable experience. So I apologize to my opponents in advance for what will undoubtedly be a series of newbie blunders.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2013, 1:44pm »

Welcome to Arimaa, Blake.  I'm glad you are on board for the World Championship tournament.  No need to apologize for playing badly: we're happy to give six lessons for $10.  Wink  And who knows, you might win a few!  We use Swiss pairing, and as you can see from the registrations so far, this is a tournament for players of all experience levels.

I suspected during the Anand-Carlsen match that the unusual amount of attention that chess was getting would somehow indirectly benefit Arimaa as well.  I guess my speculation wasn't too far off base.  I suppose that one hundred years from now, when the Arimaa World Championship is going on, someone who has never heard of chess will read on Wikipedia about the game that started it all.  Then we can return the favor, with the small community of chess die-hards getting positive exposure from the world-wide Arimaa hype.  Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22nd, 2013, 5:24am »

lol Smiley

There are two kinds of players on whom you CANNOT use that kind of humor Fritz: chess players and go players. Don't even think of trying it on me.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22nd, 2013, 6:17am »

I suspect that Go will thwart computer programming for a very very long time, I mean at the world championship level of course.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.