Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:10pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Late Introduction »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Late Introduction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Late Introduction  (Read 7921 times)
GorgeTranche
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8904

Late Introduction
« on: Jan 13th, 2014, 2:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A good morning community,

Its pretty late now for an introduction, but better late then never.

So, I've heard first of Arimaa at the beginning of september last year when I was looking out on what subject to write my bachelor thesis. After reading and playing a few first games I was hooked  Cheesy

So right after I went seeing my prof and telling him, I wanted to write a bot and do some research about the subject of Arimaa.

In the moment I just got like 2-3 weeks left of the mentioned thesis and working hard on the bot and (most annoyingly) the writing part of it.

Since the game never got even slightly boring or less interesting, I am quite sure to not abandon the game or the bot-development  Grin

For the bot part ... I will introduce him separately. Its my first bot and the first time I ever worked or even crossed the subject of artificial intelligence or games similar to Arimaa.  
So please don't expect a very strong playing bot  Wink
His name is bot_Yeti and it played (and lost^^) his first game this morning over the gameroom.

If someone has some advice, questions, ideas or similar, please feel free  Smiley

I am looking forward to playing a lot more in the future and attending some championships later on as well  Cool

Thanks,
Maurice
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Late Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2014, 1:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 13th, 2014, 2:42am, GorgeTranche wrote:
Since the game never got even slightly boring or less interesting[...]

I hope and expect you will still be able to say this a decade later, as I can after learning about Arimaa in 2004.  The most amazing story of Arimaa in my opinion has nothing to do with AI, but rather with the fact that none of us can master a completely deterministic game.  Arimaa stays fresh and exciting despite our best efforts to figure it out.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2014, 1:20pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.