Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2024, 7:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Site is back up »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Site is back up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Site is back up  (Read 2016 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Site is back up
« on: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow it was pretty hectic the last few days.

The disk on the arimaa.com site crashed. I was lucky to have a second disk that I backup to each night. So most everything was recovered. Since the crashed disk was not totally destroyed, I tried to get as much from that as possible.

I decided that since the site is down anyways, lets just get a new server and transfer everything to that. This is why it took a couple days to get the site going again.

Im having problems getting the Chat to work on the new server right now. But other than that most things seem to be working. If you notice anything broken, let me know.

Sorry about the inconvience.

IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Site is back up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 11:49pm »

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this Smiley
IP Logged
Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 2:17am »

Wow Omar, you did a fantastic job here, considering what you were up against and many thanks. I was already wandering the streets soliciting people at random for my Arimaa fix.  Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 4:21am »

Thank you, Omar, for getting the site back up so quickly.  I didn't realize just how addicted I was until I lost the ability to even look what games other people are playing.  The Arimaa server is a contribution to the happiness of mankind from the generosity of your heart.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 9:39am »

Thanx, Omar.  This again reminded me that we are guests in your house.
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #5 on: Sep 3rd, 2005, 4:19pm »

thanks for the chat Smiley

could it be that I do not get any mail-notifications for comments on my games at the moment ?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:33pm »

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

But just when I thought the server was stable it crashed again. It went down on Sunday night about 3pm EST. Unfortunately I didn't notice it till about 10am.

Looked like it needed a reboot so I called the support number and got an answering machine  Huh

I left a message and opened a trouble ticket and waited around for a couple of hours and didn't get any reply. Apparently this company doesn't provide much support on the weekends Angry  They've been very responsive on weekdays. I had to go to my uncles place and I didn't get back until about 11pm. When I got back I found that the server had been rebooted. I was able to login and get the site going. I haven't been able to find what caused it to crash yet  Embarassed But tech support emailed me that the second disk on the server was making noises and they replaced it.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:34pm by omar » IP Logged
Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #7 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 6:08pm »

As the say goes "When it rains it pours" (You all know how fond I am of proverb, don't you?  Wink ), anyway, thanks for the dedication you put into getting this room back up and running as fast as you do. As has been said before, we are only guests in your house, but right now I feel like an honored guest in a palace. If there were more people like you ( and maybe less like me?    Embarassed ) the world would be a much better place.
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 6:09pm by Arimanator » IP Logged
megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #8 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 3:50am »

Just a quick comment. The address www.arimaa.net seems to still show the "server down" comment.
I don't know if someone with an old bookmark is able to connect.

Maurizio
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2005, 8:12am »

Thanks again, Omar, for getting the site back up a second time.  I know you put a tremendous amount of time into Arimaa month after month, but when there is trouble we are even more appreciative of all you do.

Very small note: I can't seem to start Bomb2004CC.  I thought perhaps it was related to the crash.  Of course, since it is an outdated bot it doesn't matter so much, but I just happened to be hankering for a 3-minutes-per-move game.
IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 6:19am »

on Sep 3rd, 2005, 4:19pm, PMertens wrote:
thanks for the chat Smiley

could it be that I do not get any mail-notifications for comments on my games at the moment ?

I don't get those mail-notifications anymore either.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14th, 2005, 5:55am »

on Sep 9th, 2005, 8:12am, Fritzlein wrote:

Very small note: I can't seem to start Bomb2004CC.  I thought perhaps it was related to the crash.  Of course, since it is an outdated bot it doesn't matter so much, but I just happened to be hankering for a 3-minutes-per-move game.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've fixed it.

There's so much to the site now that I can't possibly test everything after moving the site. I appreciate you guys mentioning the problems as you find them.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 6:30am »

I think most of the obsucure problems have been fixed now. It was due mostly to slight differences in the newer version of the OS and application programs.

I want to thank the Arimaa community for putting up with the moving pains and helping me find the problems.  

Im glad we got this out of way before the tounament season starts Smiley

The new server is a dual P4 3.0 GHz system with 1 GB of RAM and two 120 GB hard drives. So the hardware is about 4 times faster than the old server.

Im also working on trying to make the programs run faster. It could provide another 4x or more speed up.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 8:36am »

on Sep 18th, 2005, 6:30am, omar wrote:
I want to thank the Arimaa community for putting up with the moving pains and helping me find the problems.

We thank you.  I think it is a testament to the addictive power of Arimaa that there has only been a small dip in activity despite the various server problems.  The wonderful service you offer to the community free of charge is amazing enough, but the fact that you are so receptive to complaints puts you in a category with saints.

Quote:

Im glad we got this out of way before the tounament season starts Smiley

I am glad too.  I think we are poised for the best tournament season ever, with more strong bots, more strong humans, and interesting new tournament formats.

Quote:

The new server is a dual P4 3.0 GHz system with 1 GB of RAM and two 120 GB hard drives. So the hardware is about 4 times faster than the old server.

Im also working on trying to make the programs run faster. It could provide another 4x or more speed up.

As I am posting in another thread, the evidence so far is that doubled thinking time is giving Clueless an edge of about 75 rating points in self play.  I still can't quite believe it, but if it turns out to be a linear function, and it holds for other bots besides Clueless, and it holds also for play against humans, then your quadrupling the server speed should give the variable-performance bots a boost of about 150 rating points.  Humans, beware!
IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #14 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 3:13pm »

Which means that my recent beating in 14 moves of Clueless fast is equivallent to a beating of the old 2005CC with less thinking time on my end, thanks for pointing that out Fritz.  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2005, 3:19pm by Arimanator » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.