Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 12:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « JavaScript Client »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   JavaScript Client
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: JavaScript Client  (Read 1482 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

JavaScript Client
« on: Jul 14th, 2006, 10:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For the last several weeks I've been using any free time I get to work on the JavaScript version of the Arimaa client. I've just completed the first phase of three phases. The client can be used to view previous games. I've linked it into the 'Recent Games' page. Give it try. Some of the new features include:

* Viewing from different sides without having to close the client.

* Turning sound on or off.

* Controling the speed of the piece movement.

* Link to the game comments window.

* Link to open up the game move list.

* Timers show the time used on moves and reserve remaining.

* Tool tip help messages when you hold the cursor over buttons or labels.

Let me know if you notice any bugs. Thanks.

Im going to take a little break before I start on the next phase which will be to add self play mode.

Omar
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2006, 10:46pm by omar » IP Logged
seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

Re: JavaScript Client
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 12:33am »

I like it. I like it a lot.  

the new animations look cool too. and the trap sound is cool. (what about a scream and a thud though, that would be a cool variation of the trap sound hehehe)

Only thing missing is comments.  

I really like the fact you can see the time, change the direction by 90 degrees, and go directly to the comments and move list of the game.  
very cool.
IP Logged
seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 12:34am »

note: the plan button doesn't work yet.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 12:47am »

com'on Nick ! Maybe Karl would have wanted to say publicly that he hated the new interface, Ryan that the button worked or I that changing speed was useless !!!  Grin

Seriously, it rocks, Omar ! I don't think there is anything to add now that Nick has revealed our secrets thoughts ...
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 11:58am »

Im glad to hear that everyone who has tried it so far likes it.  

I forgot to mention that the 'Plan' mode won't work yet. I need to add self play mode before that can work. Self play mode allows the person to play against themselves by moving for both sides.
IP Logged
DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 3:40pm »

If it's not too much trouble could it be possible to let the old version available even when the new one will be installed totally? I think I might get nostalgic for it after a while.  Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 6:36pm »

Thanks for the faster animations, Omar.  Also I like the tooltips, because it allows you both to have smaller (i.e. more) buttons, and because it allows more description per button.

Seanick's idea to allow for replaying the game at the speed it first happened is intriguing.  That would be like a re-broadcast of a sports event.  I'm not sure I would have the patience for it, but it suppose some people would enjoy the drama.

Dorian, the old interface seized up on me again today when I tried to open a postal game.  It will take a lot to make me nostalgic for that!  However, it appears that you can still manually type the URL to replay games the old way: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=25532
for example.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2006, 10:06am »

Omar, there seems to be a glitch in the way the client calculates reserve times in games it is replaying.  For the games with no max reserve time, the calculation seems to be working fine, but for games with a max time it isn't.

I can see how the calculation would be difficult, because you have to do it move by move, capping after each move if appropriate.  In particular, you can't just sum the total time a player has used, subtract that from the total time they would have been allotted by then, and cap the reserve at the end.  In a blitz game with a capped reserve, it makes a difference whether my move times were 45, 45, 45, 5, 5, 5, 5 or they were 5, 5, 5, 5, 45, 45, 45.

Maybe it's a small enough glitch that it isn't worth fixing, but I thought I would point it out.   It would recapture the drama of certain games to accurately re-create how low the players' reserves were.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16th, 2006, 10:59am »

and do you plan to add a "take back" button, Omar ? To me, it would be a very good idea, even if it should be forbidden in tournament games ... For free games it seems it would prevent a lot of games to end brutally by blunder ... Smiley
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 8:16am »

I like the new client.  One problem I have is that at speeds S2 and higher, the move sounds don't keep up with the movement.  This doesn't induce motion sicknes and make me have to hurl, but I find I'm happier if I view muted.  This behavior may be peculiar to my connection.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 8:44am »

on Jul 17th, 2006, 8:16am, RonWeasley wrote:
One problem I have is that at speeds S2 and higher, the move sounds don't keep up with the movement.

Maybe there is enough variety in the animation speeds people are comfortable with, there could be four speeds: Keep the two fast ones at present, but split the slow one into a medium-slow and a slow-slow.  Having four speeds doesn't make the interface any more cluttered, just the code.  :-P
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 11:12pm »

on Jul 16th, 2006, 10:06am, Fritzlein wrote:
Omar, there seems to be a glitch in the way the client calculates reserve times in games it is replaying.  For the games with no max reserve time, the calculation seems to be working fine, but for games with a max time it isn't.

I noticed that too; and tried to fix it. Let me know if you see anything else.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 11:13pm »

on Jul 16th, 2006, 10:59am, chessandgo wrote:
and do you plan to add a "take back" button, Omar ? To me, it would be a very good idea, even if it should be forbidden in tournament games ... For free games it seems it would prevent a lot of games to end brutally by blunder ... Smiley

Yes, definitely. As with the current client, it will only work in unrated games.
IP Logged
FritzlForMaster
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #2036

« Reply #13 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 11:42pm »

on Jul 20th, 2006, 11:13pm, omar wrote:

Yes, definitely. As with the current client, it will only work in unrated games.

Oh ! I didn't know the current takeback button worked !
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 11:47pm »

I added a fourth speed level. But just can't get the sound to sync with the motion at the fast speeds.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2006, 11:47pm by omar » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.