Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules  (Read 18696 times)
SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Skepticism is the Immune System of Science

Email

BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« on: May 4th, 2010, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I noticed that there is no entry yet for Arimaa on BoardGameGeeks 5-minutes (or less) Video Rules contest, so I thought the Arimaa Forum might want to know about it.

The Rules for the Contest are here:  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/54380/video-rules-contest-entry-s5 0-top-prize-and-ma  It ends one month from today, and each game may only have one entry.  There seems to be no established creation date, so either of the Arimaa Tutorials probably would qualify.  (The front-running game video, for Zertz, was created almost a year ago.)

I figure that the sooner a game is entered in the contest, the more "thumbs" it could generate; although final judging is by a panel.

Just a heads-up in case anyone is interested...
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2010, 3:09pm »

I think Omar is the only one allowed to make a decision here.
IP Logged
SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2010, 6:23pm »

You're right, Arimaabuff.  

I was kind of hoping that somebody would take it on their own initiative to make an video themselves.  This is my favorite scenario.

However, barring this, I was hoping that Omar Syed might deem one of his two brilliant videos to be entered into the contest.  They're obviously in the same quality of the front-running videos; even better IMHO.

I guess it's up to Omar...

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: May 11th, 2010, 6:07am »

Thanks for letting us know about this. Sounds like an interesting contest. I think we should definitely enter an Arimaa video in the contest; even if it doesn't win it would get some more exposure.

I actually have the Arimaa tutorials as videos.
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/video/iphone/jc.m4v
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/video/iphone/vs.m4v

But I don't think we should enter these, because one of the factors in judging is 'completeness'. These videos do not mention the winning by immobilization or elimination. Also they were made way before the sets came out; it might be better now to show the rules using an actual Z-Man set. I think that would appeal more to the BGG community. So I also like the idea of making a new video for this contest and entering the existing videos as a last resort.

Although I could try to make the new video, I don't think it would turn out as good as if we did it as a community project. Plus I think it might be fun to see how we work  together on a common goal. Of course if someone wants to make a video all on their own or in a team feel free to do so. If we have multiple videos by the end of May we can do a quick vote to decide which one goes on to the BGG contest.

I guess making of the video could be broken into:

1. Writing a script
2. Recording the audio
3. Recording the video
4. Composition of audio and video
5. Adding overlays and music

Feel free to post which of these you could contribute to or maybe even nominate someone.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 11th, 2010, 11:56am »

I agree, I think we can win this contest.  Most of the submissions are just some guy talking as he demonstrates.  Omar's suggestion to divide up the labor got me thinking about how it opens possibilities to separate the audio voiceover from the video itself.  The verbal explanation of the rules has to be very dry, boring, and straightforward, or else it can't be accurate, complete, and concise.  Five minutes is too short.  The video accompanying the voiceover, however, can be funny and wacky while getting the point across.

For example:
Voiceover: Gold begins the game by setting up his pieces however he likes in his two home ranks.  All sixty-four million possible setups are legal.
Video: In super-fast motion, Gold puts all his pieces on the board, leaves it there briefly, then takes them all off and puts them back on again.  Then off again, then on again.

Voiceover: On any non-trap square, a piece can't die.
Video: Gold unsuccessfully tries to step on a silver rabbit with his elephant.  Silver thumbs her nose at Gold, and sticks out her tongue.

Voiceover: If there is no empty square adjacent, the piece can't be pushed.  Blocking is a common theme in Arimaa.
Video: Silver's elephant is blockaded.  She considers pushing forward, left, and right, to no avail.  She folds her arms and pouts.

Voiceover: After Silver sees Gold's setup, she sets up her pieces in her home two ranks.  Her ability to react in the setup compensates Silver for Gold having the first move.
Video: Silver sets up her pieces and then mouths, "You're going down!" with corresponding hand motions.

Something like this would blow away the competition, and win first prize for Arimaa.  The video can get creative in illustrating what the boring voiceover is saying.

Well, it is fun for me to imagine, but the sad truth is that I don't have the video mixing skills.  I don't know how to speed up video, and I don't know how to splice it with pre-existing audio.  Also, I don't think I could persuade my wife to play the role of Silver, even though the video would be much more attractive and funny with a man and a woman playing rather than just one man demoing.

So, the part that I can contribute is below: a boring five-minute script of the rules for the voiceover.  Also I could read the voiceover if the actors don't want to do it themselves, or write the action script of what the actors should be doing, but I would gladly defer to whoever is doing the mixing/acting if it would be easier that way.

So, who among us can act?  Who has the mad mixing skillz?

Peace,
Fritz

[VOICEOVER]
Arimaa is an abstract strategy game with major appeal to chess players.  In fact, it can even be played with a chess set, although we will demonstrate it with Z-Man Games' Arimaa set.

The Gold player and the Silver player each have sixteen pieces: one elephant, one camel, two horses, two dogs, two cats, and eight rabbits.  All the pieces move the same way, by orthogonal steps, but the stronger pieces can boss around the weaker ones by pushing, pulling, and freezing them.  A player gets four orthogonal steps on every turn.  The object of the game is to advance any one of your weakest pieces, a rabbit, to the opponent's home rank.

The board has four trap squares.  A piece can only be captured if it is standing in a trap square, or if it is pushed or pulled into one.  On any other square, a piece can't die.

Gold begins the game by setting up his pieces however he likes in his two home ranks.  All sixty-four million possible setups are legal.  There are no restrictions... and no memorized openings.  After Silver sees Gold's setup, she sets up her pieces in her home two ranks.  Her ability to react in the setup compensates Silver for Gold having the first move.

After the setup, players take turns moving.  They try to force captures in trap squares and ultimately get a rabbit across the board.  Now that we've seen the basics, let's look at the rules more closely.

All pieces move by stepping one square left, right, forward or backward, except rabbits, which can't step backwards.  Rabbits can only step left, right, or forward.  No piece can move diagonally; in fact diagonals never count in Arimaa.  That's why the board isn't checkered!

You may make up to four steps per turn.  You don't have to use all four of your steps, but you must change the position.  You may divide your steps between four different pieces, or use them all on the same piece, or anything in between.

A piece that is next to a stronger opposing piece is frozen, and can't move, unless it has an orthogonally adjacent friendly piece.  Friends don't let friends get frozen!  A frozen piece can freeze a yet weaker piece.  Equal pieces do not freeze each other.

For the cost of two steps, a piece can push a weaker opposing piece.  First, the weaker piece is moved to an adjacent empty square.  Second, the pushing piece moves to where the opposing piece started.  Equal pieces can't push each other.  If there is no empty square adjacent, the piece can't be pushed.  Blocking is a common theme in Arimaa.

Also for the cost of two steps, a piece can pull a weaker opposing piece.  First, the stronger piece is moved to an adjacent empty square, and then the weaker piece moves where the stronger piece came from.  Equal pieces can't pull each other.  Note that neither pushing nor pulling needs to be in a straight line.

A piece can't push and pull at the same time, although for four steps it could push and pull consecutively.

Capturing is simple.  A piece on a trap square with no adjacent friends is immediately removed from the board.  Friends don't let friends get captured.  This means a piece can be captured four ways: 1) stepping into an unprotected trap.  duh!  2) being on a trap when its friends move away. double duh!  3) being on a trap when its friends are pushed or pulled away, or 4) being pushed or pulled into an undefended trap.

To repeat, diagonals never count in Arimaa, so diagonal friends never protect traps or unfreeze.  Also, friends can only protect against freezing and capture; they can't do anything about pushing and pulling.

Other than getting a rabbit across the board, there are two ways to win, although they are less common.  Taking the opponent's last rabbit wins the game, even if you sacrifice your last rabbit to do it.  Also, depriving the opponent of any legal move wins the game, although you can't sacrifice your last rabbit to win this way.

To prevent draws, it is illegal to cause a position to occur for the third time, with the same player to move.  Although this prevents all sorts of wacky repetitions, mostly it just means you can't keep undoing your opponent's move.

That's all you need to know.  You are ready to play Arimaa!
[/VOICEOVER]
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2010, 9:09pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

SpeedRazor
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 11th, 2010, 1:22pm »

Is it possible for MULTIPLE PEOPLE to be on the Video?  I know that the clock is ebbing, but:  Omar, (his son); Karl Junke; Jean (Chess and Go); MegaJester; On and on and on...

Can you imagine:  Omar!  World Arimaa Champions!  Adanac! the Jeh!  Crazy high-rated Harry Potter Guy!  Everybody!  (I recuse myself as I'm currently insignificant.)

Arimaabuff, on and on!

Famouse Go computer programmers!  On and on!

This is SUCH an opportunity!

Let's not blow this...
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2010, 1:47pm by SpeedRazor » IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #6 on: May 11th, 2010, 1:25pm »

Fritz, I never thought I'd see this day.

You triggered the language filter! Shocked

I can do the voice over. I did exert my acting skills on more than a few occasions, once partook in a debating contest in my Engineer school, and finished fifth amongst more than a hundred contestants, from several schools in the region, all people with putative debating skills.

However, that’s about all I can do, my computer isn’t very good so someone else should do the recording, the mixing, etc…
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #7 on: May 11th, 2010, 7:54pm »

I can write/record the music. Here are two commercials and one flash game song that I wrote: http://www.armyofcaterpillars.com/files/musicportfolio.zip

If we go with Fritzlein's idea, I think a laid back acoustic indie rock instrumental would suit the video. What do you think?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 11th, 2010, 9:09pm »

on May 11th, 2010, 1:25pm, Arimabuff wrote:
You triggered the language filter! Shocked

Oops, my bad.  Embarassed  Post edited.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 12th, 2010, 12:01am »

I haven't got enough time at the moment to help with writing a script, but I'd be honoured to be one of the "voiceoverers" if peeps would like... Just tell me what to say and I'll send you an MP3.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #10 on: May 12th, 2010, 4:46am »

on May 11th, 2010, 1:22pm, SpeedRazor wrote:
Crazy high-rated Harry Potter Guy!

This is one of my proudest days.
IP Logged
kalsyed
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #104

« Reply #11 on: May 12th, 2010, 7:17am »

I can make the video, just bought a new computer with some crazzzzy horsepower Tongue and I love putting those cpus to work... (ohh,  and I also have a video editing software)

I will need these parts:  video footage of board  and/or actors, voice overlays to match actors expressions and to explain the board rules, and of course the background music.

The sooner the better, I'll need a day or so to put it together....

-Kal
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: May 12th, 2010, 7:23am »

Wow, looks like things are moving along already.

Thanks for writing the script Karl.

I've setup a place where we can upload and share files:
   http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/

Just upload the audio/video files under the BGG_contest directory.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 12th, 2010, 7:37am »

on May 11th, 2010, 7:54pm, FireBorn wrote:
I can write/record the music. Here are two commercials and one flash game song that I wrote: http://www.armyofcaterpillars.com/files/musicportfolio.zip

If we go with Fritzlein's idea, I think a laid back acoustic indie rock instrumental would suit the video. What do you think?

Out of the three I like the Cartoon Network commercial. Was that a scitar towards the end? Maybe that could be an honorary nod to the game creator's roots... Smiley

Alternatively, I think something like Red Hot Chilli Peppers' "Snow" would be rockin'
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: May 12th, 2010, 9:18am »

on May 12th, 2010, 7:17am, kalsyed wrote:
I can make the video, just bought a new computer with some crazzzzy horsepower Tongue and I love putting those cpus to work... (ohh,  and I also have a video editing software)

Awesome, Kal.  It looks like this is going to happen!

Quote:
I will need these parts:  video footage of board  and/or actors, voice overlays to match actors expressions and to explain the board rules, and of course the background music.

It looks like we have megajester for voiceover and Fireborn for music.  So we only need actors for the video.  As you said, the sooner the better (and, I might add, ideally done by people with some acting experience), but if no one steps up to do it in the next few days, Katie will have the time (and willingness) do it with me on this coming Sunday.

I can think of actions to match everything in the voiceover, with one caveat: to get the timing right it may not be enough to just splice the videos.  Sometimes the action will have to be sped up, or perhaps even slowed down a little.  Your video editing software can do this?

I will start writing an action script now in the hopes that we will yet have volunteers to enact it, but which Katie and I can use in a pinch.

Quote:
The sooner the better, I'll need a day or so to put it together....

The deadline is not until  Friday, June 4, so we are not up against the wall yet, but it would be ideal if all the contributors could get the pieces to you for editing at least two weeks before that at the latest, not only to give you enough time, but in case any of the components have to be redone.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.