Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 23rd, 2024, 2:59am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules  (Read 18772 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: BGG Contest for Videos about Board Game Rules
« Reply #45 on: May 15th, 2010, 11:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 15th, 2010, 9:07am, Arimabuff wrote:

I agree I was looking forward to this and Fritz put a lot of thought into it. It would be a shame to let it go to waste. I am willing to read the entire script through Teamspeak; it doesn't matter if only a few sentences of mine are selected in the end. I need someone to do the recording on his end though. Who's willing to do so? The sooner I have an answer the better.

If every one of us does what he has the means to do without delays then we may see this thing through otherwise there's not a chance in H-E double hockey sticks.

Time for everyone to get a move on!

I was thinking rather than changing narrators it might be better to have one person be the narrator all the way through. For the narrating I would nominate Joel since he has a very clear and easy to understand voice.

However, I like the idea of also having many different people chime in to give their views and thoughts. Kind of like a documentary. But we could not include this with the video we send to BGG. However, we could include it in a video that we place on the Arimaa main page.  

IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #46 on: May 15th, 2010, 1:34pm »

on May 15th, 2010, 11:34am, omar wrote:

I was thinking rather than changing narrators it might be better to have one person be the narrator all the way through. For the narrating I would nominate Joel since he has a very clear and easy to understand voice.

However, I like the idea of also having many different people chime in to give their views and thoughts. Kind of like a documentary. But we could not include this with the video we send to BGG. However, we could include it in a video that we place on the Arimaa main page.  

I can't find a Joel among the players. What's his screen name?
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #47 on: May 15th, 2010, 2:06pm »

on May 15th, 2010, 1:34pm, Arimabuff wrote:

I can't find a Joel among the players. What's his screen name?

Megajester
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #48 on: May 15th, 2010, 2:37pm »

I think I've had enough with this thing. Do whatever you want I don't care!

This is the very last time I get involved in anything like this.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #49 on: May 15th, 2010, 7:16pm »

Well it's just a suggestion Pat nothing to get upset about. How about I record a sample from you tomorrow via TS and upload it to the file manager. The community can vote to decide how we should proceed.

The appropriate way to show your disagreement on this matter would be to say something like:

"Well, I haven't had a chance to show my vocal talent yet, so don't cast your nomination too early Smiley "

Also you need to make some effort so you can record the audio on your own. You can't expect that someone will always be able to help you with this.

I do appreciate your willingness to help out, but like I said earlier if you are going to participate in this kind of project you have to be able to put your feelings aside. Things might not go the way you want. But you can always voice your opinion in a positive and logical manner and try to persuade things that way.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #50 on: May 15th, 2010, 8:28pm »

on May 15th, 2010, 11:18am, omar wrote:
Saying "with major appeal to chess players" could be interpreted as an opinion right now rather than a fact. I believe it's true, but the sample size is still small. I'm a bit concerned that saying this might actually turn off chess players and also turn off the BGG community. Instead I think we should say things which are facts and will sound intriguing. We know that many people don't watch a video past the first 30 seconds. So if they get nothing else out of it, I think we would want them to at least walk away with some interesting facts they can tell others. So here's a suggestion.

["How to Play Arimaa" animation from existing video; possibly different music; after animation stops]

Narrator:
"Arimaa is an abstract strategy game with a $10,000 programming challenge and a yearly man vs machine match. It was designed in 2002 to show that humans can still out smart computer and so far the humans are still dominating."

[pan in on still image of GK vs Deep Blue; music slowly fading out]

Narrator:
"If you have a chess set at home, you already have the equipment to play Arimaa."

[pan in on image of a chess set]

"Although it's more fun with Z-Man Games' Arimaa set."

[Betty holds up .... ]

I see your point about sticking to facts rather than injecting opinions.  The contest rules waffled on this point, saying that a teeny bit of opinion is OK, but I understand if you don't want to risk crossing a line.

As for turning people off, there's a different crowd that will be turned off when you start talking about computers instead of talking about the game.  But I understand that the AI challenge is near and dear to your heart, and indeed that's why you invented Arimaa in the first place, so (marketing value aside) your introduction seems quite appropriate.

Besides, I'd just like to see this video get done, and I'm happy to have you make a decision.  I know you don't like to take charge, but I appreciate your stepping up.  Would you like me to re-upload the script with your changes, or shall we just consider it implicitly changed?
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2010, 8:30pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #51 on: May 16th, 2010, 6:03am »

Karl, if you can modify it and upload a new version that would be great. Thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #52 on: May 16th, 2010, 10:32am »

on May 16th, 2010, 6:03am, omar wrote:
Karl, if you can modify it and upload a new version that would be great. Thanks.

Done.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #53 on: May 17th, 2010, 2:46am »

I've uploaded an mp3 of my narration of the rules, weighing in at 4 minutes and 45 seconds. I don't see how to make it any shorter with the current script.

I tried to use noice cancellation on Audacity but I didn't like the sound quality. Maybe Kal or someone knows a better way. Take 1 is without noise cancellation, but I somehow lost the last bit. Take 2 is the whole thing with noise cancellation.

There's only a very slight change of wording in the line about the alternate ways of winning; I've said "Apart from getting a rabbit across the board, there are two other ways to win..." because I thought it would be clearer.

All constructive criticism is welcome of course, I'm happy to record some bits again if you need me too.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #54 on: May 17th, 2010, 8:52am »

on May 17th, 2010, 2:46am, megajester wrote:
I've uploaded an mp3 of my narration of the rules, weighing in at 4 minutes and 45 seconds. I don't see how to make it any shorter with the current script.

Thanks, Joel.  The length is a danger sign, because one would like the flexibility to insert pauses when mixing with the video.  But it appears our development cycle is too long to go back and trim the script later after we see how it works; instead we'll have to use your reading and cram the video to make it fit.  Should be doable, and I'll be happy if it just gets done.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #55 on: May 17th, 2010, 11:05am »

You can download it from the address Omar posted earlier (http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/filemanager/filemanager.php) When I say I don't see how we can make it shorter, I mean without rushing it. If a video can be made to match it I think it's a reasonable pace. This is partly why I did my best to get the narration done asap, so that whoever shoots the video knows how much time they have for each section.

Taking another look at the script, I can see that whoever shoots it might want to be a bit creative in their interpretation of it. Perhaps they could shoot it section by section, listening to the narration first to see if they'll have time for all of it, and then ad-libbing accordingly. For example with the following segment...

NARRATOR (V.O.)
     A player gets four orthogonal steps  
     on every turn.  The object of the  
     game is to advance any one of your  
     weakest pieces, a rabbit, to the  
     opponent's home rank.

(Close up on board.) Silver makes four steps.  Gold makes  
     four steps.  Silver advances a rabbit to goal.  The players  
     shake hands.  

...you might need to lose the handshake.

Also the bit where Gold does his setup could be sped up. You know, Gold places his first two pieces normal speed, then a flurry, then cut to Gold player looking proud of his completed setup.

Etc etc...
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #56 on: May 19th, 2010, 6:43am »

Audio sounds great Joel. Thanks for putting it up so quickly.

Seems we are stuck on finding actors now Smiley
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #57 on: May 19th, 2010, 9:30pm »

Great work megajester!

I have touched up the narration (de-ess, compress, noise gate, room reverb) and uploaded that ("touchedup").

I also found some nice oldskool jazz and put that in the background and uploaded that as well ("withmusic"). I'm imagining something like Pixar's stuff, like Geri's Game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7dcbIKvlw .

If you need the music separately just let me know.

Edit: sorry, I uploaded a version with slightly louder music. I think it's a better version, so could you please delete the old one, omar, thx Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2010, 9:43pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #58 on: May 20th, 2010, 7:26am »

I think it might be better to just have the music only at the beginning and fade out (and also at the end with credits). That way it doesn't interfere with the words.

Can you just upload the music as a separate file. That way Kal can mix it in when he is putting together the files.

I would have liked the music to be a little more upbeat than Giri. Maybe you can also upload the music loops you've created so we can pick from it.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #59 on: May 20th, 2010, 9:42am »

Omar, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. It will be boring without music. Have you seen an episode of How It's Made? They have that cheesy electronic rock music in the background while the narrator is talking - now that's distracting! Also, documentaries constantly have music in the background even during interviews and narration.

If you like the version with the quieter music, you can go with that one, but I think it makes the music sound a bit too tinny and oldish.

I looked for a while to find the right music at the right tempo with the right feel to it. I tried faster music but it gets too hectic, especially since megajester is already speaking somewhat fast (with few long pauses). The music needs to contrast against the fast-forward parts of the videos and the speed of his voice in order to calm viewers down and create an enjoyable viewing experience. At least that's how I see it.

If you want different music I can keep looking, but I really think we should have music throughout the video. It will give us a leg up on the competition. We have great narration that deserves some background music Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.