Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tournament Size Pieces »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tournament Size Pieces
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Size Pieces  (Read 23031 times)
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

Re: Tournament Size Pieces
« Reply #15 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 10:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK, so here's the link to buy a set if you would like.  WARNING: Sticker shock is possible.  

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThomasFoy

I had some last minute issues with some of the elephant's trunks (I'm just not happy with a a rough mold line), so I'm recasting those pieces in a new mold.  As explained on the item description, shipment will be delayed from the order date by a few days to a few weeks depending on how soon you place your order, and how quickly I can recast these pieces.  

I expect that after a few months I will have enough inventory to fill orders immediately.  Please bear with me while I work out the final kinks in the process.  

Also, I'm working on better shipping prices.  If you would like a set and live outside of the United States, please let me know before ordering and I'll try to update the shipping information to be more specific to the country you live in.  For now, it's just set to a generic value that should cover shipping to anywhere.  
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2011, 6:46pm by ocmiente » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 11:54pm »

Shocked sticker shock Shocked

...but I'm ordering one anyway.  Honestly I'd rather have one of these than the New Forest Earth set.  As awesome as the wooden animals would be to look at, this set will be awesome to play with.
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 9th, 2011, 9:34pm »

So if my math is correct, after applying the coupon, that would make the total cost (w/ domestic shipping) $159 ... Still a little too rich for my blood, unfortunately.   Sad

I'm wondering though, if you get a large enough interest in this product (i.e., actual order commitments), might not the price come down a bit? If the price were in the 2-figure range (as one poster I think not-so-jokingly mentioned) I would buy immediately.   Cheesy

I feel a bit skeezy saying this, like I'm dealing with a Tijuana fruit vendor or something ("for YOU, special friend ..."), rather than someone performing a huge service for the Arimaa community, but that's honestly where I stand.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2011, 9:46pm by qswanger » IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 12:05pm »

on Feb 9th, 2011, 9:34pm, qswanger wrote:

I'm wondering though, if you get a large enough interest in this product (i.e., actual order commitments), might not the price come down a bit?

I would like to say yes, but I can't right now.  There are far too many variables involved, like what is my long term maintenance cost on the equipment, will the raw materials' prices go up or down, can I train my children to do the work I do at less than minimum wage Tongue, etc.  

My expectation right now is that the full retail price will not change much over the next few years.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2011, 7:19pm by ocmiente » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 10:56pm »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 11:54pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Shocked sticker shock Shocked

...but I'm ordering one anyway.  Honestly I'd rather have one of these than the New Forest Earth set.  As awesome as the wooden animals would be to look at, this set will be awesome to play with.

Yes, this set is definitely very nice for playing. The large weighted pieces give it an awesome feel. Although my daughters are really looking forward to playing with the wooden set because of the trap doors Smiley
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #20 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 12:17am »

on Feb 9th, 2011, 9:34pm, qswanger wrote:

I'm wondering though, if you get a large enough interest in this product (i.e., actual order commitments), might not the price come down a bit? If the price were in the 2-figure range (as one poster I think not-so-jokingly mentioned) I would buy immediately.   Cheesy

Shortly before Zman Games contacted me about making the Arimaa sets, we had looked into trying to make it ourself. To keep the unit cost low we had to place orders of 5 to 10 thousand sets. Still the manufacturing cost of each set was about $10. So it was a huge investment.

We are really luck to have ZMan Games mass produce the sets. And now we are even more luck that Thomas is making tournament size sets. Unless the chess community suddenly starts playing with animal themed pieces, I don't think there will be enough orders to make a dent in the price of the sets Smiley

You really can't compare the price of Thomas's set with the price of factory made chess sets; it will definitely look too expensive. The way to put the price in perspective is to divide the price of the set by your hourly wages and come up with the number of hours it would take you to make the set. Could you really make it in this much time? If not then you are better off commissioning Thomas to make the set for you. Whether one can afford to is a different issue dependent on ones personal situation.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 12:18am by omar » IP Logged
megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #21 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 9:26am »

Actually my "two figures" limit was in euro.
So after the rebate I might think about actually getting one.

Could you specify better the shipping to Italy ? Would it be less than 50$ ?

Also, if I order two sets will the shipping stay the same ?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2011, 9:30am by megamau » IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #22 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 2:50pm »

on Feb 14th, 2011, 9:26am, megamau wrote:

Could you specify better the shipping to Italy ? Would it be less than 50$ ?

Also, if I order two sets will the shipping stay the same ?

Shipping prices can be found here.  Click on the 'Individual Country Listings' on toward the bottom of the left hand menu.  The prices for Italy are here.

Shipping one set to Italy will be $50.  The package weighs just over 3 pounds.  Add insurance and the price is in the low $40's.  I'm rounding the price up for the extra work I have to do filling out any forms, packing, standing in line at the post office (I'll eventually learn to ship them from my house, but I'm not there yet Smiley, etc.  

If you want to order two sets, I should be able to put them both in one box and save on the cost.  After a rough calculation, I think I can do that for $65.  Let me know if you want to do this by sending me a private message through the forum, or the message link on my arimaa player page.  

IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #23 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 1:45am »

Congratulations for a very well made set. It really looks appealing (and much better than the Z-Man one).  
Yet 290 bucks is slightly too much for me. Oh, well.

Edit:
Humph. Actually with the 40% off promo code it would be $194. That is *checking* about 575zl...  
Humph again. Still much, but I have something to think about now.
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2011, 2:07am by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
DarkAngelCryo
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #5928

« Reply #24 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 9:02pm »

1st. Thought: Cool
2nd. Thought: I wonder if a mousepad board will be available
3rd. Though: Gahhh! the price
out of my budget unfortunately  
 Sad
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #25 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 10:14am »

on Feb 15th, 2011, 1:45am, UruramTururam wrote:
Congratulations for a very well made set. It really looks appealing (and much better than the Z-Man one).  
Yet 290 bucks is slightly too much for me. Oh, well.

I thought it was $240 USD (assuming bucks=USD). Maybe you are seeing it in a different currency.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 10:28am »

on Feb 17th, 2011, 10:14am, omar wrote:
I thought it was $240 USD (assuming bucks=USD). Maybe you are seeing it in a different currency.

Plus $50 shipping to Europe.
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2011, 10:29am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #27 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 11:09am »

Oh OK. Maybe if someone from US is visiting Europe, they can bring it over.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #28 on: Feb 17th, 2011, 6:06pm »

Heck it!  
Ups, sorry... Embarassed

Too much thinking. One set for me, ocmiente!
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #29 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 9:21am »

OK.
Ordered only one in the end....my budget for games has been reduced by the heavy beating I have been taking in 5 S$ games of singaporean checkers Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.