Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tournament Size Pieces »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tournament Size Pieces
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Size Pieces  (Read 22999 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Tournament Size Pieces
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 2:39am, chessandgo wrote:
I absolutely cannot. What's the solution? Smiley

Oops, I set up the position wrong.  The silver cat on d4 was actually on e4.  Nevertheless, that change would only help Silver if anything.  The winning move is 33s hb3w rc3w rb3s ed3w.  The rabbit on b2 threatens to goal on a1.  There aren't enough gold defenders to plug all the goal squares, for example 34g Rb1w Rc1w Cd2s Cd1w is met by 34s dc2n rb2e rc2e rd2s.  Only using the gold horse to pull back the b2-rabbit delays goal for another move.

Jean, I don't know if you were just trying to make me feel better about not converting my won position against Hippo, but if so you certainly succeeded.  Pretending not to find the forced goal is medicine for my wounded ego.  You are very kind to a disappointed man.  Smiley
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #46 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:11pm »

And Adanac created even more frustrated puzzle ... on 35s you were winning ... cg7 was the winning step.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:12pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #47 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:25pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:11pm, Hippo wrote:
And Adanac created even more frustrated puzzle ... on 35s you were winning ... cg7 was the winning step.

Actually I saw cg7 on move 35s even while we were playing.  I realized I only needed one step to delay your goal.  What I didn't see was the correct three steps to use on offense.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:26pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #48 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:26pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:14am, Fritzlein wrote:

Oops, I set up the position wrong.  The silver cat on d4 was actually on e4.  Nevertheless, that change would only help Silver if anything.  The winning move is 33s hb3w rc3w rb3s ed3w.  The rabbit on b2 threatens to goal on a1.  There aren't enough gold defenders to plug all the goal squares, for example 34g Rb1w Rc1w Cd2s Cd1w is met by 34s dc2n rb2e rc2e rd2s.  Only using the gold horse to pull back the b2-rabbit delays goal for another move.

Oh, nice. And Hb4we ra5s Hb4s suffers the same fate after silver captures the Horse. Cool Smiley When I saw the position, I had a feeling of deja-vu, and now that I've seen the solution I think it might be the position after 31g in the game http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=108738 that will be in my book. The solution is kind of similar, although your problem is harder and nicer. No help apparently though Smiley
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #49 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 2:43pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:25pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Actually I saw cg7 on move 35s even while we were playing.  I realized I only needed one step to delay your goal.  What I didn't see was the correct three steps to use on offense.  Smiley

Hmmm, I have not seen the defense step, but I could find several ways to force goal in one threat by 3 steps by silver ... wow, but I would make wrong threat ... may be there was just one solution.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011, 2:48pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #50 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 8:05pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 2:43pm, Hippo wrote:
but I could find several ways to force goal in one threat by 3 steps by silver ... wow, but I would make wrong threat ...

I almost played 35s cg6n hb3s hb2n Rb1n, to threaten goal in one, but then I saw that the gold dog could push my c2 rabbit back into c3 and I despaired.  (Hmmm, I guess this has drifted off-topic unless I post pictures of ocmiente's set illustrating what I am talking about. Lips Sealed)
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2011, 8:05pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #51 on: Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:57pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 9:05pm, qswanger wrote:
Nice. But that carrying case doesn't look like it was constructed to hold a digital Chronos clock -- the standard-bearer for years in game timing accuracy, durability, and time control flexibility/customization. You oughtta get yourself one of those to totally pimp-out your set (unless they have been surpassed by something else that I'm not aware of).

I actually use either DGT 2010 or DGT XL (from my checkers club) and it seems quite nicer than the Chronos clock in the pictures.

http://digitalgametechnology.com/site/index.php/Clocks/
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #52 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 4:44am »

I received Thomas' set today, it's unbelievable. The pieces are not that heavy at the first contact, but man they're BIG! The elephant had to duck his head to pass through my door. I was wondering what a menagerie was doing in my building this morning, but actually it was a harassed delivery guy herding the pieces to my apartment.

Toying with the pieces their weight is perfect actually. I love that you can tell apart the pieces just by their size, with the Z-man set I was confusing cats and rabbits, and also camel and horses. With Thomas' set, I think I'll end up just looking at their ears to know which is which with a single glance, that's another striking difference between pieces Smiley

I think I'm going to play against myself just for the sheer pleasure of handling the pieces. Wicked Smiley
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #53 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 6:54am »

Again ... JEALOUS! Thanks for the description. Enjoy your set, but don't go blind from all that self-play.   Shocked
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #54 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 7:05am »

on Mar 2nd, 2011, 4:44am, chessandgo wrote:
I think I'm going to play against myself just for the sheer pleasure of handling the pieces. Wicked Smiley

I sometimes do that using the chess set of my great-grandfather. There is something ultimately appealing in them.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #55 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 11:34am »

on Mar 2nd, 2011, 4:44am, chessandgo wrote:
I received Thomas' set today, it's unbelievable. The pieces are not that heavy at the first contact, but man they're BIG! The elephant had to duck his head to pass through my door. I was wondering what a menagerie was doing in my building this morning, but actually it was a harassed delivery guy herding the pieces to my apartment.

Toying with the pieces their weight is perfect actually. I love that you can tell apart the pieces just by their size, with the Z-man set I was confusing cats and rabbits, and also camel and horses. With Thomas' set, I think I'll end up just looking at their ears to know which is which with a single glance, that's another striking difference between pieces Smiley

Very glad you like them.  

Extremely glad that you apparently got them in the mail with no trouble.  Besides this being the first time to manufacture anything like this, it's also my first time to ship stuff internationally.  I'm getting to know the workers at the post office much better Smiley
IP Logged

megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #56 on: Mar 11th, 2011, 9:03pm »

Do you know how much sooner C&G pieces shipped respect to mine ? I am quite close, in Italy, but I still did not receive them
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #57 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 12:05am »

It took 5 or 6 business days to reach France.  So, I expect your set should be there any day now.  USPS says 6-10 business days to Italy.  So, hopefully you'll see it next week.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #58 on: Mar 16th, 2011, 8:44am »

I've received my set today. Great look and feel indeed.

Two photos:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/945991/arimaa

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/946033/arimaa
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2011, 9:23am by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

« Reply #59 on: Mar 16th, 2011, 5:25pm »

I also received my set today......ouch 45 euro of value added tax to pay at custom.

But the set is really nice....now I have only to find an appropriate box for storage.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.