Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Home rules »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Home rules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Home rules  (Read 4407 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Home rules
« on: Nov 10th, 2011, 2:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've started including a page of 'Arimaa Home Rules' with Arimaa sets I mail out. It basically describes some of the alternate ways that I play Arimaa at home.

I've uploaded this page to the site now. Feel free to download a copy.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/learn/homeRules.pdf
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

Re: Home rules
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2011, 2:44pm »

Thank you, Omar!

Those are some interesting variants and tweaks on how to play the game. I don't remember who I read was doing this, but I like the idea of using the die in a learning game or against weaker opponents to help level the playing field.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11th, 2011, 6:31pm »

Heheh, you already know what I think of the dice variant Lips Sealed.  Choosing an army based on a points budget doesn't sound much more promising to me.  I suspect it would either (A) give Silver a huge advantage if she got to budget after seeing how Gold purchased or (B) make a lot of games resignable after the setup if the players chose simultaneously in secret.

Those variants aside, I believe the "reduced set" Arimaa has a great deal of potential.  Some combinations of pieces will presumably be more interesting than others, and one would just have to try to see which work best.  A crazy thought would be "single-rabbit" Arimaa, where all the pieces are in play but each side has only one rabbit.  Would that be intense or would it bog down?  Also I had earlier suggested removing HDC from each side.  The "no-tie" Arimaa should play considerably faster than with a full set, but without being razor sharp from move one like the suggested RRRRCC.  It could be a happy medium to retain complexity while speeding up progress.  Also, by all accounts, JDB's experiment with his bot no_MHH was a big success.  People enjoyed the looser play and learned from it as well.

I would be interested to hear any other reports of reduced-material Arimaa, how it affects game play, game length, standard strategies, etc.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12th, 2011, 1:09am »

on Nov 11th, 2011, 6:31pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Heheh, you already know what I think of the dice variant Lips Sealed.  

Yeah, yeah, I know you don't like the dice version Smiley But hey Dolus likes it. Different people have different tastes.

Quote:

Choosing an army based on a points budget doesn't sound much more promising to me.  I suspect it would either (A) give Silver a huge advantage if she got to budget after seeing how Gold purchased or (B) make a lot of games resignable after the setup if the players chose simultaneously in secret.

Oops, I forgot to mention that we take turns picking one piece at a time until the points are spent. I just updated the page.

Quote:

Those variants aside, I believe the "reduced set" Arimaa has a great deal of potential.  Some combinations of pieces will presumably be more interesting than others, and one would just have to try to see which work best.  A crazy thought would be "single-rabbit" Arimaa, where all the pieces are in play but each side has only one rabbit.  Would that be intense or would it bog down?  Also I had earlier suggested removing HDC from each side.  The "no-tie" Arimaa should play considerably faster than with a full set, but without being razor sharp from move one like the suggested RRRRCC.  It could be a happy medium to retain complexity while speeding up progress.  Also, by all accounts, JDB's experiment with his bot no_MHH was a big success.  People enjoyed the looser play and learned from it as well.

I would be interested to hear any other reports of reduced-material Arimaa, how it affects game play, game length, standard strategies, etc.

There is definitely room for a lot of experimentation here.  I too would like to hear what others have tried.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12th, 2011, 4:04am »

on Nov 12th, 2011, 1:09am, omar wrote:
Oops, I forgot to mention that we take turns picking one piece at a time until the points are spent. I just updated the page.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that.  That sounds much more playable than either of my ideas.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 5:38am »

Over the weekend I was visiting my in-laws and played several games of Arimaa with my brother-in-law (who is registered on the site as "utku"), with a couple of home rules to make the game faster.

We had a number of points with which we "bought" our pieces, either 15 or 12 depending on what we felt like. Elephants were free. Camels cost 5, horses 4, dogs 3 and rabbits 1 (we didn't bother with cats). We experimented with camel + rabbits, 2 horses + rabbits, camel + 2 horses + few rabbits etc to see which setups played better against which.

We started by positioning our pieces wherever we liked along our back 2 ranks, so we would fill the second rank with our main pieces and some rabbits and put the leftover rabbits somewhere along the back rank.

The games were fast and furious, and even though I beat him most of the time he really enjoyed the game!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2011, 10:07am »

Thanks for sharing that megajester. You should try some games with a dice to give your brother a better chance.

About a week ago I played Yu-Gi-Oh style Arimaa with my neices. What is Yu-Gi-Oh style Arimaa. You use a reduced set of pieces, a dice and you take on the role of characters; most importantly before making your move you trash talk your opponent. We used characters from Sonic X. I was Eggman. It was hilariously fun Smiley
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2011, 12:56am »

Any chance those rules get implemented into the game room and the bot developers work on them?
Especially the trash talk bit :]
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 10:21pm »

on Dec 11th, 2011, 12:56am, leo wrote:
Any chance those rules get implemented into the game room and the bot developers work on them?
Especially the trash talk bit :]

Come to think of it would be quite fun to trash talk against a chat bot.
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21st, 2011, 10:54am »

on Dec 20th, 2011, 10:21pm, omar wrote:

Come to think of it would be quite fun to trash talk against a chat bot.

If I ever get my bot development environment set up, I'll try to add trash talking as a feature of my bot. Cheesy (and excuse making when it's losing)

"Err.. uh.. I meant to give you a camel handicap!"
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2011, 10:56am by Dolus » IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 2:06am »

"Dont laugh, computers are people too!"
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:37am »

Another variants to use a dice:

1) Player throws a dice before his move. He must spend all his quarter moves moving a piece, that corresponds to a dice points:
6-elephant; 5-camel; 4-horse; 3-dog; 2-cat; 1-rabbit.
If no such piece is left on board, player has to miss his turn.
If there are several pieces of one kind, the player is free to distribute movement points as he wishes

2) Player throws 4 dices, and gets 4 quarter-moves.
If a player pulls or pushes, the opponent takes one his dice.

3) Random traps.
Before the game starts, determine the trap locations by throwing a dice.  
1st throw determins file: 1-B, 2-C, 3-D, 4-E, 5-F, 6-G
2nd throw determines line: 1-2nd; 2-3rd; ... ; 6-7th.
You will need 8 dice throws to determine all trap locations.  

And another one without a dice:

Rabbit-bomberman
Each player before the 1st move writes down which rabbit will be a bomberman (e.g. "a2") and keeps his choice in secret.
When during the game, opponent pushes or pulls the bomber-rabbit, the player may choose to reveal his secret and explode the rabbit. In such a case all adjecent pieces (friendly pieces also!) are removed from the board.
Note: the number of bomber-rabbits is up to the players' agreement.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:50am by Boo » IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:50am »

on Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:37am, Boo wrote:
Another variants to use a dice:

1) Player throws a dice before his move. He must spend all his quarter moves moving a piece, that corresponds to a dice points:
6-elephant; 5-camel; 4-horse; 3-dog; 2-cat; 1-rabbit.
If no such piece is left on board, player has to miss his turn.
If there are several pieces of one kind, the player is free to distribute movement points as he wishes

2) Player throws 4 dices, and gets 4 quarter-moves.
If a player pulls or pushes, the opponent takes one his dice.

3) Random traps.
Before the game starts, determine the trap locations by throwing a dice.  
1st throw determins file: 1-B, 2-C, 3-D, 4-E, 5-F, 6-G
2nd throw determines line: 1-2nd; 2-3rd; ... ; 6-7th.
You will need 8 dice throws to determine all trap locations.  

Rabbit-bomberman
Each player before the game writes down which rabbit will be a bomberman and keeps his choice in secret.
When during the game, opponent pushes or pulls the bomber-rabbit, the player may choose to reveal his secret and explode the rabbit. In such a case all adjecent pieces (friendly pieces also!) are removed from the board.

Ooh, I would hate the restrictions on 1 and 2. I can imagine (I have two rabbits one step from goal, but I just can't roll that darn 1!)

3 I would like better. It leaves me with more control over how I play the game.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 7:25pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2011, 11:37am, Boo wrote:

Rabbit-bomberman
Each player before the 1st move writes down which rabbit will be a bomberman (e.g. "a2") and keeps his choice in secret.

Boo, I am amazed to see you mention this. The first time this was mentioned was by Karl although he was being sarcastic about it. Karl and I were commuting to work one day; I think it was around fall of 2006; and I was telling him about the dice variation. Karl wasn't fond of adding an element of luck to Arimaa and he said something like: why don't you also add kamikaze rabbits that blow up the pieces around them. I laughed it off at the time. But when I thought about it later, it didn't seem like such a bad idea. It would add an element of hidden information to the game.

Last year I actually played a few games of this with Naveed. It's quite fun. Instead of rabbits with bombs we said the special rabbits are really skunks disguised as rabbits and at the opportune time could let out a spray to knock out the stronger enemy pieces around them. Rabbits and friendly pieces are not effected.  We actually made up some cards to help play this. We also made two sets of rings of eight different colors which we slipped on the rabbits so that each rabbit of a side has a collar with a unique color. There are two sets of 16 cards. One set is for the gold player and the other set is for the silver player; the cards have a gold or silver back side to indicate which player the card belongs to. In each set the back of eight cards has a picture of a skunk while the front of each card has one of the eight different colored rings. The back of the other eight cards has a picture of a flag while the front of each card has one of the eight different colored rings. At the beginning of the game during the setup stage the players keep two of the eight skunk cards and put away the rest. The two cards they keep are used to track which rabbits are really skunks and are kept facing down; although the player owning those cards can look at them at any time. The players also keep the eight flag cards facing down. During the game a player can look at his own flag card and select up to two cards and place them in a separate stack. When a player wants to reveal the skunk they cannot take any steps on the board and can only show the face of the skunk card. The color of the ring indicates that the rabbit with the matching color ring is the skunk. The stronger enemy pieces around the skunk as well as the skunk are removed from the game. But if the opponent had already flagged this color then the stronger pieces are safe and only the skunk is removed from the game. We were still experimenting with which squares around the skunk should be effected. All 8, just the four orthogonally adjacent squares or just the ones in front and behind or just the two side squares.

IP Logged
Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #14 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 3:55am »

Quote:
Boo, I am amazed to see you mention this.

I don't deserve the credit, chess has those ideas floating around for ages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dice_chess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_chess
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.