Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Jean's book has been released !!! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Jean's book has been released !!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jean's book has been released !!!  (Read 10845 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Jean's book has been released !!!
« on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As most of you know Jean Daligault (chessandgo) the four time Arimaa world champion has been working on a book titled Arimaa Strategies and Tactics for several years now. In fact some of you have helped Jean with proofreading the book. Well I am happy to announce that the book is final here.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/store/Daligault/

I want to congratulate Jean on finishing this monumental task. Most of the time while he was working on the book, he was also working on completing his Phd. So it is quite amazing what he has done.

Since 2006 Jean has been an active member of the Arimaa community, participating in the events, providing comments and suggestions in the forum and now giving the Arimaa community a book that captures what he has learned so far about Arimaa and sharing that precious knowledge with us. When I say giving the book to the community, I am not kidding. The original PDF of his book is available for download for free. The physical copy of the book is also available at a very low price and all proceeds from the book will go towards increasing the prize fund for the human world championship. We want to encourage everyone to not just download the free copy, but also to buy a physical copy.

Where Karl's book provided a great introduction to Arimaa for the general public not familiar with the game. Jean's book is geared towards those who have started playing Arimaa and want to improve their game. The two books complement each other and together they help more people become aware of Arimaa and reach higher levels of play in shorter time then has ever been possible before.

Jean, thanks so much for the book and everything else you've have done for us.
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

Re: Jean's book has been released !!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 9:50am »

Wow - I'm speechless, thanks Jean!  Grin

I have already downloaded and saved the PDF and hope to work through it at my leisure over the coming weeks and months. I doubt it'll improve my mediocre Arimaa ability very much, but it'll sure be an interesting read. I certainly didn't expect it to be free - many thanks  Smiley

(And don't worry - if I enjoy it, as I expect to, I'll probably end up buying it  Wink)
IP Logged
camperman
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #960

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:05am »

I just read the opening chapters while waiting for the hanzack game to get underway and I think I learned more in 10 minutes than most of my previous studying. Thanks Jean!
IP Logged
Katsunami
Forum Senior Member

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:56am »

While I'm getting a bit better, I still lose a lot of games because of stupid oversight and lack of knowledge. Rather than spending a year or more to find everything out myself, maybe I'll buy both Fritzlein's and C&G's book.  

Thanks for writing it, Jean Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2012, 1:09pm by Katsunami » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:45am »

Cheers Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:09pm »

Thanks, Jean!  Since I already read a draft, I made free to submit a review on Amazon and on Board Game Geek.  I believe that, even though the PDF is freely available, many people like me will feel that a bound copy is a must-have.  I need the book side-by-side with a board; it is too awkward with my computer screen.
IP Logged

Katsunami
Forum Senior Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:21pm »

Oh, the pdf is linked on the page. I'll take a look on my tablet.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #7 on: Apr 23rd, 2012, 2:13am »

Wo-ow, great.  

I should read it soon (TM). Thank you Jean!
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 5:11am »

Oh you are so kind and generous to the community c&go!!  I tip my hat to you sir!
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #9 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 7:28am »

This is a must have, an historic achievement, the dawn of a new breed of Arimaa players!
IP Logged
Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #10 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 1:55pm »

My copy arrives Wednesday Cheesy

I said this over in BGG, but I really like that the PDF is free so that I can swap between computer and hardcopy to read.

Now hanzack will have his turn to write a book, right? Wink
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24th, 2012, 7:03pm »

on Apr 24th, 2012, 1:55pm, Dolus wrote:
Now hanzack will have his turn to write a book, right? Wink

I'll bet the next Arimaa book is a puzzle collection rather than a strategy guide.  User ingwa (developer of Badger) turned me on to the idea.  I think it is very plausible because

* It will be hard to write a strategy guide that tops Jean's.
* Puzzles can be culled in an automated way from the database of games by a developer, so there are more people who could create this kind of book.
* There is a large audience who would like more tactical examples to practice on.

The amount of organization needed for such a book could vary drastically.  Fred Reinfeld's "1001 Ways to Checkmate" is a classic, even though the positions are only loosely organized by theme.   On the other end of the scale, I owned a book on chess tactics called "SchachPraktikum" which had more text, illustrative commentated examples before the bulk of uncommentated examples, a tighter organization, a better grading by difficulty, and a selection of puzzles at the end where the reader wasn't told what theme to use.

The important thing in either case is the sheer bulk of practice problems.  The puzzles we already have on arimaa.com are great as far as quality is concerned, but we simply don't have enough of them.  Given the proliferation of strong Arimaa engines, there's no reason this lack of a large problem collection couldn't be addressed.

Here's hoping it won't be another three years before the third Arimaa book is published!
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26th, 2012, 9:19am »

Thank you very much Jean, much appreciated!
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26th, 2012, 11:19am »

Got my physical copy in the mail yesterday.  Looks and feels great.  Thanks Jean!
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26th, 2012, 3:59pm »

I just downloaded the PDF. Hat's off to you Jean, what a gift!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.