Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Database of unique wins in 2 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Database of unique wins in 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Database of unique wins in 2  (Read 14859 times)
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: Database of unique wins in 2
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 10:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've manually changed one puzzle page to how I currently think the puzzles should be presented. Comments?
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 12:35pm »

on Oct 12th, 2012, 10:01am, aaaa wrote:
I've manually changed one puzzle page to how I currently think the puzzles should be presented. Comments?

Images work well on Iphone, I like it. I would mainly use puzzle image link on it. On comp I would use the solution link to flash ignoring URL till I decide to read it Wink as I do so far.

I have looked at puzzless till game 600. Often the same motif repeats (as one could expect in data mined puzzles).

Next step could be to detect which part of the board was "defining" the puzzle. ... and select unique puzzles upto it. But how to formalize this? (After detecting important part of the board ... only relative strength of pieces which could influence each other on the part of the board is important for the classification, mirror/central symmetry is not important as well.) I don't ask you to go for this step, and I am not adding it to my TODO list either.  

May be it could be a way to make big step in static goal in 2 detection ... but I am afraid the set of patterns would be too huge for it. (The most often repeated patterns would be more interesting than patterns appearing only rarely ... as single rabbit runs usually depend on huge part of the board it would more probably be unique. More important patterns would be on smaller part of the board and therefore more often to be seen. On the other side puzzle like 16:16s would be probably eliminated by prunning rare patterns.)

On the other side it would be interesting to have the positions/solutions classified by the pattern.  

Hmmm ... classifiyng by solutions rather than puzzles would be better. I am not sure the single rabbit runs would not be repeated often but "joining them together" would be as good as filtering them out.

... 766 I like the attack/defense balance.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2012, 8:39am by Hippo » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:03pm »

OK, there are now almost twenty thousand puzzles in that format on the wiki. Enjoy.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:11pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:03pm, aaaa wrote:
OK, there are now almost twenty thousand puzzles in that format on the wiki. Enjoy.

Yes this is for years of study ... .
One question ... I thought ...

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/puzzles/auto/showPuz.cgi?g=172760&m=35b& ;w=2

should belong to the collection as well. Have I missed something?
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:26pm »

You didn't. Only a few positions were checked per game as the data mining would have taken an exorbitant amount of time otherwise.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #20 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:39pm »

Oh, I expected this is full set of unique wins in 2 from the game database. OK, good to know.

How did you filtered the positions ... your bot did random sampling or your bot guessed for each position if there would not be goal in 2?

The latter case would be serious problem as the most surprising positions would be missed in that case.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:43pm by Hippo » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24th, 2012, 9:58am »

I didn't do anything very sophisticated; I checked Omar's earlier generated list of positions and the position before the last non-finishing move by the winner in every game. I also got 4 more puzzles after treating each side as the winner in abandoned games.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2012, 9:59am by aaaa » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 1:36pm »

Regrettably, I just discovered that zugzwang wins weren't caught by my approach and these must surely be considered interesting puzzles.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #23 on: Oct 30th, 2012, 8:13pm »

I've updated the database. Handling zugzwang correctly not only resulted in more unique wins being found, it also exposed some existing solutions as not being unique after all. In addition, I've added every conforming puzzle on the original puzzle page that wasn't already discovered automatically.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #24 on: Mar 2nd, 2013, 12:06am »

Wow, thanks for creating this aaaa. It's pretty fun going through these puzzles.

Martti and I are working on a puzzle app for the iPhone. They are not typical "win in x" type puzzles. Instead you are just put in positions where you should be able to win. The quicker you win the more points you get. Some win sequences can take even up to 10 moves. We are not concerned about optimal move sequences, nor does the bot play an optimal defense. It's more like bot bashing from given starting positions. The app is not for hard-core Arimaa players and is more for people who like to play casual puzzle games like 'Cut the rope'. Hopefully it will introduce more people to the Arimaa rules.

IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #25 on: May 4th, 2013, 9:02am »

I've stumbled on a generated puzzle that is a false positive on account of the immobilization victory condition:
On move 42g of game 262074, there is only one move that forces goal or elimination in 2. However, if Gold makes any move that doesn't change the position in the northern half of the board, zugzwang would force Silver to allow immobilization on the next move.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #26 on: May 8th, 2013, 3:49pm »

By performing an immobilization check on the antepenultimate half-move of each game that actually ended that way, 95 puzzles were exposed as not having a unique solution. If anyone knows of other specific puzzles they suspect are actually non-unique, please let me know of them.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:57pm »

Thanks again for doing this, aaaa.  I have just now started using the database for real, after yet another of my typical fail-to-find-the-short-win games.  It's an invaluable tool.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #28 on: Dec 2nd, 2014, 2:22pm »

Going through the games in their entirety appears to be a tractable proposition after all. It will probably take me in the order of weeks to process the existing database.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #29 on: Dec 4th, 2014, 6:30pm »

on May 8th, 2013, 3:49pm, aaaa wrote:
By performing an immobilization check on the antepenultimate half-move of each game that actually ended that way, 95 puzzles were exposed as not having a unique solution.

Using this condition to also look for false negatives, i.e. positions that are unique wins-in-2 exactly because of the possibility of immobilization, doesn't seem to take up too much of the total search time. That means the database will no longer be restricted to puzzles in which it is goal and/or elimination that can be forced.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.