Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 9:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Essay by Christian Freeling on inventing games »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Essay by Christian Freeling on inventing games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51  ...  78 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Essay by Christian Freeling on inventing games  (Read 522776 times)
NJames
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6842

Re: Essay by Christian Freeling on inventing games
« Reply #720 on: Oct 16th, 2011, 2:25pm »

on Oct 14th, 2011, 7:40pm, MarkSteere wrote:
Imagine my pride
No need to imagine.
IP Logged

Go !
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #721 on: Oct 18th, 2011, 3:16pm »

Cephalopod is now firmly rooted at Ludoteka, and it's growing.  It isn't coming down off a puny, novelty surge.
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #722 on: Oct 19th, 2011, 4:55pm »

Cephalopod addiction is now epidemic at Ludoteka.  I played two lightning rounds with a lady, each of us winning one, and then I tried to leave for lunch.  "Tenqo que ir," I said, and left the game.  Immediately there was a personal challenge popup before me.  I declined it but it was immediately followed by two more.  I accepted the third one because I could see she was jonesing.  I walloped her and she disappeared, apparently satisfied.
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #723 on: Oct 21st, 2011, 8:36pm »

What happened to Cage and Monkey Queen at MindSports?  I thought it was all about the games.

It was the 11 months of holy grailish hint-claims, Christian.  Nothing more.  I wasn't the only one fed up with the incessant Sygobabble.  It was out of control.  

Just for comparison, several people have marvelled at the ingenuity of Corey Clark's Slither.   Slither is a real phenomenon.  It isn't Corey Clark self-marvelling.
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #724 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 1:36am »

It took a while for people to warm up to Slither.  Some, including myself, found it interesting right away.  Others, including Christian, did not.  

Generally, I think it's a good thing if it takes a while.  I'd rather hear thoughtful, reflective opinions formed over time than instantaneous ones.  It also takes time for intelligent people to happen along and discover your game.  Oust didn't really take off strategically until Rod Jackson led the way.

If the hoards fall in love with a game while they're tearing off the shrink wrap, then it's probably something asinine like Tamsk.  No offense to the designer of Tamsk, but let's face it....
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #725 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:56am »

on Oct 22nd, 2011, 1:36am, MarkSteere wrote:
It took a while for people to warm up to Slither. Some, including myself, found it interesting right away.

Slither=Particle Bond, Jackspritz=Corey Clark
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #726 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:29am »

As for household messages, we've removed three games from mindsports.  
Monkey Queen was included to help facilitate a level playing field for a contest, not because it is a good game (it's a good concept though). For the enthusiasts, it can be played at iGGC.
Cage was included to show something draughtslike, and drawless and finite and all, that has nothing whatsoever to do with Draughts. That's a silly reason.

Pommel was included because it is an interesting hexagonal Draughts variant with two novelties: linear capture by leaping and compulsory alignment by captains (kings). However, to our regret the inventor decided to withdraw it.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:26pm by christianF » IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #727 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:32pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:29am, christianF wrote:

[Michael Howe] decided to withdraw [Pommel] because he does no longer want to publish a game that owes anything (such as compulsory alignment) to [Mark Steere].

Michael succumbed to his own guilt after running off with Mad Bishops.  I'm getting a pinched nerve from all the coattail riders.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #728 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 6:50am »

on Oct 22nd, 2011, 8:29am, christianF wrote:
Pommel was included because it is an interesting hexagonal Draughts variant with two novelties: linear capture by leaping and compulsory alignment by captains (kings). However, to our regret the inventor decided to withdraw it.

Well ... no more. Fortunately the inventor decided to reverse his decision, so Pommel is relisted at mindsports. An applet is still in the pipeline.

Following a suggestion made by Pascal Huybers, a dutch Go player, the applets of Symple and Sygo now highlight the last move made.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #729 on: Nov 17th, 2011, 5:21am »

The 16th Computer Olympiad will start tomorrow in Tilburg, the Netherlands. Three Havannah bots will participate, Timo Ewald's 'Castro', Richard Lorentz' 'Wanderer' and 'Lajkonik' by Marcin Ciura and Piotr Wieczorek. I've played against all, and lost against all, occasionally.  

For the incrowd (where I'm in the outcrowd) here's Richard's Improving Monte-Carlo tree search in Havannah.

Here's the Havannah page. I regret to see that no Arimaa bots have entered the contest.

Here's the livestream of the event.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011, 2:39pm by christianF » IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #730 on: Nov 17th, 2011, 9:04pm »

on Nov 17th, 2011, 5:21am, christianF wrote:

I regret to see that no Arimaa bots have entered the contest.

I regret to see that no MSG games have entered the contest.  

Omar, Christian, stop congratulating yourselves.  You're not "Leonardos" lol
IP Logged
MarkSteere
Forum Guru

Finite games rule

« Reply #731 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 4:17pm »

You think Arimaa and Havannah are harder for computers than Oust?  Guess again.  AI programmers don't have the first clue how to tame counter-intuitive Oust.
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

ft to right: rl]
« Reply #732 on: Nov 26th, 2011, 8:14am »

Computer Olympiad Tilburg 2001 2011 - Havannah/Hex - left to right: Timo Ewalds; Marcin Ciura; Ton van der Valk; Lukasz Lew; Richard Lorentz; Ingo Althofer

Castro won the tournament between the bots. Ton won base-8, white and black, against Castro en Lajkonik, while Richard had already left.

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2011, 9:19am by christianF » IP Logged
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #733 on: Nov 26th, 2011, 8:48am »

2001 or 2011?   Smiley
IP Logged
christianF
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4019

« Reply #734 on: Nov 26th, 2011, 9:22am »

on Nov 26th, 2011, 8:48am, qswanger wrote:
2001 or 2011?   Smiley

Ah, scuzi, if this were a 2001 image, I might not have stood a chance in 2012 Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51  ...  78 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.