Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:47pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 29 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2007 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 29
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 29  (Read 5238 times)
Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

Move 29
« on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After almost 17 days chessandgo responds with 29w rb3e Db4s Ec4e Dd2e - the rabbit is now framed on c3 and guarded by the elephant (d3). If we want to stick with our previous plan and invade f3, we must provide some serious support for our dog.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:14am by Soter » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Move 29
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:59am »

We obviously can't attack f3 if his elephant is going to be there, but the fact that he stepped one east with his elephant opens the door for our horse to jump into b4.  Here comes the swarm, baby!

Realistically chessandgo will have to use his elephant to keep our horse tied down, which re-opens the door for our dog in the east.  I'm not quite sure how we would need to divide our attention between the two wings, though, because we will need to stay active in the west too.  I haven't played out any lines yet; the horse charge is just my gut reaction.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 3:27pm »

Before reading the Fritzlein comment I had a look at the board and tried:

29b: hd6w hc6s hc5s dd7s

I'm glad that Fritz' also thinks the horse charge is OK.
I've tried also advancing our left wing dog as the fourth step but I find leaving it just 2 steps from C&G's elephant is not a very bright idea.

Edit: Taking into account the time Chessango used to make his latest move we should be aware that he is just luring our horse to charge...
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 3:29pm by UruramTururam » IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 7:30am »

After 29b h->b4, should we worry about 30w Ha4n Ed4w hb4w Ec4w?  It gives gold a roaming horse.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 7:45am »

First look at the position and here are my thoughts:

We should do threat to go to b3 with our horse - thus hd6w hc6w

We should strenghten defence of home traps + prepare sole for attack - thus ce7s dd7s.

So the right choice should be:

29b hd6w hc6w ce7s dd7s

IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 11:40am »

I like a dog charge to h2.  This puts an immediate threat on his cat and our dog is too far away for him to chase with his elephant.  If he does migrate that way, then we pounce on c3 with our horse.  If not, we either start advancing other pieces in the east or start dragging his rabbits/cat back to our trap - not sure which is better.

29b dg5s dg4s dg3e dh3s
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 11:40am by mistre » IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 11:46am »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 7:30am, RonWeasley wrote:
After 29b h->b4, should we worry about 30w Ha4n Ed4w hb4w Ec4w?  It gives gold a roaming horse.

Yes, I think we should be worried.  I don't think the swarm is going to work too well in this circumstance.  He can neutralize our H with his E and our D with his H.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 12:55pm »

If we play on either wing without playing on the other chessandgo will have an easy time keeping everything under control.  It's just a question of which wing we should focus on first, how to split moves between the two wings.  We have to make sure that if chessandgo's elephant commits to one side we can make gains on the other side.  One option is to go half on each wing with

29b hd6w hc6s dg5s dg4s.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:12pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:00pm »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 11:46am, mistre wrote:
Yes, I think we should be worried.  I don't think the swarm is going to work too well in this circumstance.  He can neutralize our H with his E and our D with his H.

It's not trivial for him to get his horse across to the other wing without getting intercepted by our elephant, assuming our horse is being held hostage on a4 rather than a3.  This may be a case where playing out illustrative lines helps.  Not that anything is forced, but examples of moves by each side can shape our intuition as to how good/bad it would be to give up our horse hostage.

Oh, or did you mean his horse can neutralize our western dog?  As long as his horse and elephant are both tied to defense in the west, the swarm is probably working.  Sure, he can "neutralize" the attack, but can he get our attackers as hostages on good squares?  His elephant alone can obviously prevent us from capturing anything, but who would be gaining strategic options, and who would be losing them?
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:07pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:24pm »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 11:40am, mistre wrote:
I like a dog charge to h2.  This puts an immediate threat on his cat and our dog is too far away for him to chase with his elephant.  If he does migrate that way, then we pounce on c3 with our horse.  If not, we either start advancing other pieces in the east or start dragging his rabbits/cat back to our trap - not sure which is better.

29b dg5s dg4s dg3e dh3s

I'd actually like to force him to commit his elephant to one wing or the other.  After putting our dog on h2 it seems 30w Ha4e De2n Rf1n Cg2n keeps all of Gold's options open, including chasing our dog with his elephant if the tries to get near f3, a rousing attack on c6 if we don't block it, and 31w E->d4 H->e3 if we play quietly.

In general I think extremely active play is called for; it might be worth taking a risk in order to constrain his possible replies.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:27pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:30pm »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 7:30am, RonWeasley wrote:

I think I'm more worried about 30w Ha4n Ed4w Ha5e Ra2n, but we should definitely play out some horse hostage lines.
IP Logged

jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 1:34pm »

I agree that play on both wings is eventually required. How about a slight modification of mistre's d->h2 idea.

29b dg5s dg4s Cg2w dg3s

Now if  
30w E->h3
31b H->c4 E->e3  

The dog on g2 blocks out gold's access to the h file. This makes a rabbit advance on that side of the board somewhat threatening.  

Gold's f2 cat needs 2 steps to protect it from capture, many of which move gold's pieces farther from the h file.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:11pm »

on Apr 15th, 2008, 1:34pm, jdb wrote:
I agree that play on both wings is eventually required.

To amplify this point, every time we make his elephant switch wings, we gain time, because our elephant will be shuttling between e3 and d3, while his will be shuttling between c4 and f4.  But if our move doesn't force him to commit, we gain no time as both of our elephants sit in the center.

on Apr 15th, 2008, 1:34pm, jdb wrote:
How about a slight modification of mistre's d->h2 idea.

29b dg5s dg4s Cg2w dg3s

I think that 30w De2n Cf2n Cf3e Rf1n leaves Gold in reasonable shape, but we are two steps better off than in the d->h2 line, because our dog is on g2, not h2, and because his horse is still on a4, not b4.

Generally speaking, I think our dog has to sit on g3 to give us threats against f3, as opposed to merely threats to push his pieces to our side in a situation where we want to be swarming, not helping him swarm.  I'm starting to lean towards my split move.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:18pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15th, 2008, 2:25pm »

How are we doing after

29b hd6w hc6s dg5s dg4s
30w De2n Rf1n Ha4e Rc1e
30b hc5s De3s ed3e rc3e

?

I would happily trade HR for DCR or even DRR, but probably not for CRR
IP Logged

Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 9:18pm »

Just a random thought but what about:
dg5s dg4s dg3w Cg2n

In order to get the Cat out of the hostage one of the rabbits will have to come up, or the elephant will have to commit to the side, or just let us pull the cat back to our trap.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.