Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 7:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Europa Clubhouse »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Europa Clubhouse
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Europa Clubhouse  (Read 18372 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: Europa Clubhouse
« Reply #15 on: Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

me too Smiley ... or may be lately
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2010, 6:01am by Hippo » IP Logged

azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

New Team Members please read this post!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 8:50am »

Hello all!  Team captain AZGreg here!

After quite a long wait, it appears that the World League will breathe at last!  

As part of the premilinaries, the league needs to decide how many games each team will play every other week.  

If you're already a Team Europa member (froody, Hippo, Nevermind, PMertens, Tuks, woh), I'll send you a message with the info below, but if you're joining us afterwards, I need to your answers to the questions below as soon as possible.

-------------------------

The League will field some number of boards every other week.  To help decide how many boards we can cover, I need to know your estimated availability to play one game ever 2 weeks.   For example, if you say 75%, that means you believe you could play 3 games in 2 months.  Keep in mind that your actual availability can change as we go; you need only send me a message telling me to put you in or keep you out and I’ll do so.

95%  -  Put me in, coach! I’m ready to play!
75%  -  I’m reliable, but sometimes real life gets in my way.
50% -  I’m there for you, but don’t push me.
25% - I have small children, or my time is not mine to spend.  I’ll let you know.
5% - I fear commitment, so don’t count on me. I will bask in our team’s reflected glory, though.

Once we start playing, I’ll need some way to decide who is playing which board.  I could simply use your Arimaa rating, but for some (like me) that might be an overstatement.  What I’d like to know is, on a scale from Board 1 (top class player) to Board 5 (beginner to intermediate, wanting to improve), which board do you think you want?  

*edited to show that games are every 2 weeks, not weekly*
« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2010, 12:09pm by azgreg » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #17 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:48am »

Europa rocks obviously Smiley

Ok, so captain, I'm like 50-75%. You can push me, but life gets in the way, or the other way around.
IP Logged

azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:51am »

Team Europa, we got ourselves a ringer!  

Thanks c&g!  We cannot be stopped!
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:23pm »

what does ringer mean? I find only "clone" in my dictionary, but I guess you're not talking of my physical appearance here Smiley
IP Logged

azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:53pm »

Sorry, what I mean by "ringer" is like when you're organizing a friendly game of darts or football or something, and one of the guys you "just happen to know" turns out (surprise!) to be the World Champion!   Grin
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 11:56am »

ok. I still don't understand where ringer comes from in this sense (someone who runs around a ring?). I read that the players in the Ring of Fire team call themselves Ringers, so in this sense you don't have a ringer, you have yet another European Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 12:51pm »

on Mar 24th, 2010, 11:56am, chessandgo wrote:
ok. I still don't understand where ringer comes from in this sense

I think the meaning of "unexpectedly good player" derives from the meaning "clone".  That is to say, suppose you and I are scheduled to play a game against each other, but instead of showing up to play myself, I send in someone who looks just like me but plays better.  Then you suspect that you are playing a ringer.

However, it has come to mean any player who is so strong that it is cheating.  For example, there was a women's baseball team, the Silver Bullets, went around playing other amateur men's baseball teams, but the men really, really didn't want to lose to women, so they would bring in a professional pitcher.  Even if the pitcher didn't look like anyone who was regularly on the team, he still shouldn't be there, so we would call him a ringer.
IP Logged

Heyckie
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4741

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 10:19am »

I'm pretty new to the game, but willing to fight for Europe if I'm of any use. I just managed to climb the bot ladder a week or so ago; finally beat Bomb 2005Fast after 69 losses so my rating may be a bit too low. I think I got a life, so 75 % sounds right for me.
IP Logged
azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 11:09am »

Congratulations on your achievement, Heyckie!  

As long as you're willing to fight for Europe, that's all that matters to us!  It's a long war, and we'll need as many people as we can get!

Greg
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 2:27am »

50%-75% for me!
IP Logged
azgreg
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4723

Email

« Reply #26 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 7:51am »

OK, since my last long note, the situation has become clearer, which you may have read in the other League threads.

The first round of games will be the week of April 19, the next May 3, and every alternate week after that.  For each match, I need to submit our roster of players the week before.  For now, it appears there will be three boards each game, but that could increase later.  

What I need to know between now and April 12 is if you are available to play a game in that first round starting the 19th.  Don't worry if it seems like we already have enough players, we can always use backups!  Please PM me with that information, as we don't want to give away anything to the spies on the other teams!   Smiley

Game on!
Greg
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 9:28am »

on Mar 26th, 2010, 7:51am, azgreg wrote:
For now, it appears there will be three boards each game, but that could increase later.

If interest picks up we might make it four or five tables per match, but once the league starts the number of tables must remain constant throughout. Otherwise the number of available league points at each match will constantly fluctuate. FYI Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #28 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 2:04am »

Oh ok, thanks for the explanation Karl.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #29 on: Mar 28th, 2010, 9:44am »

on Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:56am, Hippo wrote:
me too Smiley ... or may be lately

OK, so I am here, but may be for 10% ... I could play just at Europe night.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.