Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Ring of Fire Clubhouse »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Ring of Fire Clubhouse
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ring of Fire Clubhouse  (Read 12588 times)
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: Ring of Fire Clubhouse
« Reply #30 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A reminder that we play the Atlantics next week.  I just wanted to confirm our player list again.  Has anyone's schedule changed?  We can only substitute a player if his WHR is no more than 100 points than the originally scheduled player.  So if Korhil is in our original lineup but cannot play then we'll have no eligible backup.  As new players join the team and our ratings change, that situation may change in the future.

Can Play:
Adanac
Eltripas
knarl
Korhil
Amalgam

Can Substitute:
The_Jeh

The "cost" of each player for Week 1 is listed below:  we'll use an average of 1920 per game (or less) out of the 18 games we'll play this season.  We're an affordable team so I don't think the cap should be a problem for us.  Smiley

Adanac      2419
The_Jeh      2046
Simon      1866
nombril      1858
Eltripas      1769
amalgam      1659
knarl      1580
Korhil      1425
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010, 10:13am by Adanac » IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 5:29pm »

on Apr 13th, 2010, 8:02am, Adanac wrote:
A reminder that we play the Atlantics next week.  I just wanted to confirm our player list again.  Has anyone's schedule changed?  We can only substitute a player if his WHR is no more than 100 points than the originally scheduled player.  So if Korhil is in our original lineup but cannot play then we'll have no eligible backup.  As new players join the team and our ratings change, that situation may change in the future.

I can still play. I've also lost some HvH postal games Sad so next round I'll probably be the lowest rated player on our team, but hopefully still in range to substitute!

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #32 on: Apr 20th, 2010, 4:53pm »

Very excited to be playing in the first ever round of the Arimaa World League! In the second scheduled game even, and the first game for the Ring of Fire! Go RoF!

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #33 on: Apr 21st, 2010, 4:38am »

Looks like Knarl has the very first game now!  Looks like I won't be able to cheer on any of the games in person, good luck everyone, and have fun!
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #34 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 11:28am »

After a great first round we're tied for 1st place with 7 points -- let's keep it up team!!  I've sent a message to everyone regarding availability against The Rockies.  You can either post your response here or by private message.  Thanks.
IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #35 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 4:22pm »

Gday Team,

Sorry for the loss guys. I thought I was off to a great start in my game, with a horse frame and a camel hostage, but I overextended myself, and where I should have forced material exchange (that I would have come out on top with I think), I tried for outright capture, and got swamped.

Any team advice and comments on my game would be really helpful, so I can learn from the defeat (coaching if you will).

All that being said, I'm available to play in the next round if I'm needed. I'm leaving my scheduler times the same.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #36 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 6:23pm »

on Apr 26th, 2010, 4:22pm, knarl wrote:
Any team advice and comments on my game would be really helpful, so I can learn from the defeat (coaching if you will).

I agree with Arimabuff's comment about where the tide turned against you at 10s.  It is good to be aware of when your opponent won't be willing to go after an exposed camel.  

When you have a camel hostage, I used to feel very confident and took my time slowly taking pieces.  Especially against the old bots that don't know how to swarm.  But now, my advice is to view taking a camel hostage as the start of a race.  Your opponent will likely swarm with the goal of totally blocking in your elephant in and rotating out their elephant.  If you haven't done significant damage (and probably forced the opponents elephant to come back to stop a goal threat) before being trapped, you will be sunk.  Dragging lots of pieces back to your own trap is probably too slow - and as you found out it can also lead to getting swarmed on your other home trap as well.

You did have a great start, just need a bit more practice with what to do after you have a good position.  When you have a frame, think about rotating out one of the horses (or better yet your elephant) before attacking on the other wing.  Also, I don't know if it would have been possible to push some additional pieces around the side of the trap to prevent the camel from easily breaking the frame.

Hope that helps...
IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #37 on: Apr 26th, 2010, 8:01pm »

on Apr 26th, 2010, 6:23pm, Nombril wrote:

I agree with Arimabuff's comment about where the tide turned against you at 10s.  It is good to be aware of when your opponent won't be willing to go after an exposed camel.  

When you have a camel hostage, I used to feel very confident and took my time slowly taking pieces.  Especially against the old bots that don't know how to swarm.  But now, my advice is to view taking a camel hostage as the start of a race.  Your opponent will likely swarm with the goal of totally blocking in your elephant in and rotating out their elephant.  If you haven't done significant damage (and probably forced the opponents elephant to come back to stop a goal threat) before being trapped, you will be sunk.  Dragging lots of pieces back to your own trap is probably too slow - and as you found out it can also lead to getting swarmed on your other home trap as well.

You did have a great start, just need a bit more practice with what to do after you have a good position.  When you have a frame, think about rotating out one of the horses (or better yet your elephant) before attacking on the other wing.  Also, I don't know if it would have been possible to push some additional pieces around the side of the trap to prevent the camel from easily breaking the frame.

Hope that helps...

Thanks Nombril, that helps a lot! Now I can go back through and see where I might have played more decisively, with a plan, instead of floundering after I found myself in a strong position.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #38 on: Apr 30th, 2010, 7:02am »

I still haven't received a response from a few players about their availability for next week.  I'm going to submit our roster this weekend and I can't put you on the list if you don't tell me whether you're available  Wink
IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #39 on: May 8th, 2010, 4:04am »

Hi all! I decided I'd like to participate in the Arimaa World League, and I saw in the feedback thread that the Ring of Fire has trouble getting enough people to play, so I thought I'd join here, if you would have me Smiley
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #40 on: May 13th, 2010, 9:09am »

It's been several days since I've received any responses about the upcoming games -- so far less than half of the team has responded.  If you haven't replied to the message in your inbox, please do so within the next couple of days, even if it's just to say that you'll be unable to play.

Thanks.
IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #41 on: May 13th, 2010, 2:15pm »

When is the next round?

Stupid me, I didn't see I had messages Tongue
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010, 11:42pm by Harren » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #42 on: May 17th, 2010, 5:57am »

There were no changes to our tentative lineup this week, so it will be the 3 players announced in the message.

If you haven't set your time preferences for this game yet then you can do so here:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/selectTimes.cgi?e=2010worldleague.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #43 on: May 25th, 2010, 4:45am »

We're back in 2nd place after some really exciting 3rd round games!

The tentative roster for Match # 4 that I sent in the personal messages last week are still valid.  But we don't need to submit the official roster until next week.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #44 on: Jun 6th, 2010, 1:50pm »

Congrats team:  we're doing awesome and we're tied for first again!  Private messages have been sent regarding the schedule.  Please send a response within the next 7 days, whether you can play or not.

EDIT:  My mistake, we're 1 point out of first place.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2010, 3:31am by Adanac » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.