Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 World Championship Format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 World Championship Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 World Championship Format  (Read 7340 times)
mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

Re: 2008 World Championship Format
« Reply #60 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 2:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I really would like to play the problem for me is the time commitment. I don't have a large number of time slots consistently available where I know I will be able to play an entire game. I'm worried that if I try and play in the tournament I'll end up having to forfeit games because I won't be able to show up to the scheduled time slot which is not very fun for me or my opponent.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #61 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 6:10pm »

on Dec 15th, 2007, 2:46pm, mdk wrote:
I really would like to play the problem for me is the time commitment. I don't have a large number of time slots consistently available where I know I will be able to play an entire game. I'm worried that if I try and play in the tournament I'll end up having to forfeit games because I won't be able to show up to the scheduled time slot which is not very fun for me or my opponent.

I would  be extremely happy if you changed your mind before the deadline Smiley ... especially since you've shown great things in the games you've played so far, and thus have a shot at the top positions.  
Be sure that I'll be sending you teasing messages on a daily basis to try to make you decide to play Wink
IP Logged

froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #62 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 8:28am »

I might play if I think I'm good enough to offer a respectable challenge. Depends how much practice I get, I might be ready.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #63 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 1:35pm »

I have the same worry, but this tournament is very exciting and it's worth any inconvenience such as waking up at 4am to squeeze in a tournament game (been there, done that twice Smiley ).  Count me in for this year's championship and I plan to play in the Postal as well.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #64 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 1:45pm »

on Dec 17th, 2007, 1:35pm, Adanac wrote:

I have the same worry, but this tournament is very exciting and it's worth any inconvenience such as waking up at 4am to squeeze in a tournament game (been there, done that twice Smiley ).  Count me in for this year's championship and I plan to play in the Postal as well.

great !

Froody, I hope you'll be in too. Last year's lowest rated player, IdahoEv, made a great tournament, finishing 2-2 against 4 top rated players. Please don't worry about the challenge you might offer to your opponents, but rather wonder how you'll crush them Smiley

Enjoy anyway Wink
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #65 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:32am »

Nice to see another location listing the championship.

http://iago-news.blogspot.com/2007/12/2008-arimaa-world-championship-joi ns.html

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:56am »

I read some of the postings in the IAGO discussion forums.  They seem caught up in disagreeing over what "abstract game" even means, and how to know who has won their World Tour when it is over, assuming people actually play in it.  Those are important discussions to have, but generally if you are organizing a competition it helps to have the rules set before the competition actually starts.  I'm not running out to play in the IAGO World Tour until it gets a little bit organized.  By the same token, I'll be surprised if we get any registrations from IAGO World Tour players joining the Arimaa World Championship.

Still, it can't hurt that we are linked on their page and they are linked on ours.  I wish IAGO the best of luck attracting players and promoting abstract games.  In the mean time, any exposure of Arimaa to a new audience is a good thing.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:56am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #67 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 4:44pm »

on Dec 19th, 2007, 11:56am, Fritzlein wrote:
By the same token, I'll be surprised if we get any registrations from IAGO World Tour players joining the Arimaa World Championship.

Well, hush my mouth!  Fisma just registered.  It is quite unusual for someone to play in the World Championship who hasn't said anything in game comments or the forum.  Could this be an IAGO-referred player?
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #68 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:10pm »

Ahh, I hadn't seen the link to IAGO. The blog post had just made into my google Arimaa alert. In my quick browse around the site I also didn't realize the world tour was an actual multi-game competition.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #69 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 10:58am »

Now 12 are registered!  That means we'll have at least four preliminary rounds.  Smiley

Actually it seems most likely we will have five rounds (16 to 23 players), but I am holding out hope for a six-round preliminary (24 to 35 players).
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #70 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 10:40am »

16 registrants!  Woohoo!  We will have five preliminary rounds for sure, and it is definitely still within the realm of possibility that the last-minute registration rush will take us over 24 participants, and therefore up to six rounds.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #71 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 1:16pm »

Here's an apology to the community.  I know I should play the WC, given my inflated rating.  I had thought I would play this year now that I have a computer at The Burrow with adequate speed.  The problem now is that my disabled daughter has taken an interest in the internet and wants to surf frequently.  This is one of few things that gives her enjoyment so I give her top priority.  As a result, I can't maintain an hours-long uninterrupted session that a tournament game would require.  Sometime before the next WC we're getting another computer, so I might be able to participate next year (and get a much deserved butt kicking).

I plan to maintain avid spectator status and wish the competitors good luck.  I expect we'll see exciting games in all brackets.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #72 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 8:56am »

Ron, any chance you might be able to serve as TD again. You don't need to be present at all the games, but just be readily available in case we need to settle an unusual situation.
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #73 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 11:13am »

i have the same problem this year.  
its absolutly true adanac.. this tourny ist very interesting and funny. but although i hate to do it but i have to prefer uni this time. ( playing the WC games werent all for me i would need some hard training lessons Wink )

anyway thanks for your invitation mails omar and jean
i hope you guys will have a great tourny and i will find time next year!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #74 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 11:43am »

Test message.  This thread seems to be malfunctioning on my screen.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.