Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 World Championship Format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 World Championship Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 World Championship Format  (Read 7339 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: 2008 World Championship Format
« Reply #90 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jan 13th, 2008, 12:40pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Hmmm, after the two first-round forfeits, I sense a looming problem.  What if someone never shows up for any games?  It stinks for six different opponents to have to sit there waiting for a no-show.  It's especially silly if two players win by forfeit; a better pairing would leave out the two players who have withdrawn from the tournament, and end up with one more game actually played.

I propose that if a player forfeits two consecutive games, he should be automatically withdrawn from the tournament and not paired in any future rounds.  (Of course you could also withdraw by informing the tournament director, which is more courteous than not showing up, but I'm thinking more about the absentees at the moment.)

I know, this would be a rule change mid-tournament, which is generally frowned upon, but listen to the people who have waited in vain for an opponent to hear how dissatisfying it is.  Part of the idea of the idea of the Open Classic was to give everyone six good games; if you have to sit across from and empty chair for one, you only got five.

At least right now, we have to proceed as if all players intend to play their games.  We have no way to distinguish between a player with extenuating circumstances and one with no excuse.  It would be nice to hear a "Sorry about that" from the no-shows, but the tournament does not require it.  A two-and-out rule for next year seems like a popular suggestion.

I'm hoping that the first round no-shows have not left for good without telling anybody.  If you intend on withdrawing from the tournament, posting here or communicating privately with me or Omar would be the polite thing to do.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.