Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:49pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 World Championship Format »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 World Championship Format
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 World Championship Format  (Read 7341 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: 2008 World Championship Format
« Reply #75 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 30th, 2007, 8:56am, omar wrote:
Ron, any chance you might be able to serve as TD again. You don't need to be present at all the games, but just be readily available in case we need to settle an unusual situation.

Yes, Omar, I can be TD this year.  I know you considered rotating this honor to other people, but if you don't have another person available, I would be proud to serve.

I'm at a small disadvantage not being able to get into the new chat.  You were considering using a third-party chat a few months ago and I was able to use that one.  Otherwise, e-mail, phone, forum, and invite messages would work fine.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #76 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:10am »

Thanks Ron for accepting to be the TD for the WC this year.

I've changed the 'Chat' link in the gameroom so that it uses the 3rd party JS/Ajax chat. Only problem is that I will not be able to show how many people are logged into the chat room next to the 'Chat' link. But since it seems to work for more people, I'd rather use this for now.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:11am by omar » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #77 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:41am »

Thanx for changing the chat, Omar.

Please clarify for me.  What is the outcome of a tourament game if NEITHER player connects within 15 minutes of the scheduled start time?  I propose that they both lose.

Here's another.  Player A connects on time.  Player B connects after the 15 minute limit.  Player A wants to play the game anyway.  Can Player A make this determination or must Player B lose?  I propose to allow Player A to elect to play the tournament game if Player B is late.  The game takes effect after move 1b has been submitted.  I would even go as far as to allow the players to reschedule the game on their own as long as they play before the end of the week.  Players rescheduling should announce this for the benefit of the spectators and get permission from the tournament director (or play the game without permission, to get the game played, and seek "forgiveness" from the tournament director).  In general, I prefer games decided on the board, but I won't hold up the tournament if such a game isn't reasonably rescheduled.  Players should not feel obligated to pardon a late opponent.  Do so only if it's convenient and you feel especially generous.  If you need a win to make the next round, the smart move is to take the win.

In general, if the game site causes a scheduling error, I will insist on rescheduling.

A third.  If the game site crashes during a game, I propose the game be restarted at the position reached at the time of the crash.  The clocks will be set as close to the clocks at crash time as the tournament coordinator can provide.

OK, I have three proposals on the table.  Debate is welcome.  I think Omar has the final say.
IP Logged
ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #78 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:43am »

RonWeasley's three proposals all look good to me.

I especially like how the first one (option to reschedule) is worded.  I think it has the right balance of (1) having games decided over the board as much as possible, (2) not holding up the tournament and (3) providing the least inconvenience for players who show up on time when their opponent does not.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #79 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 4:19am »

Rob, it's too bad that you can't play Sad Best of luck with your studies.

I agree with Ron's proposals ; Ron's word is gold to me anyway Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 8:32pm »

Tee hee!  Now that Omar's entire extended family has signed up, we have twenty-six players, and therefore six rounds of preliminary tournament by rule.

Omar tells me that he has been too busy with work and visiting family to run the HvH p8 ratings, so we will use game room ratings to seed the tournament again this year.  It is clear that the game room ratings can be abused, but the seedings turn out to be approximately reasonable, and in any case don't matter nearly as much with a six-round preliminary to determine the seeding for the finals.

Here's how many players should be left with each record by the end of round six.

record players
------ -------
6-0     0.4
5-1     2.4
4-2     6.1
3-3     8.1
2-4     6.1
1-5     2.4
0-6     0.4

Since there will be 8.9 people with four or more wins, 0.9 of them will not advance to the finals.  Or to put it another way, four wins will probably get you into the finals, but not necessarily; Probably there will be nine players with four or more wins, and the four-win player who faced the weakest opposition will not advance due to poor tiebreakers.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2008, 10:59pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #81 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 12:21am »

I've just selected my times for the first week of the WC.  Hopefully this year my timezone is correctly registered - thanks omar for your troubleshooting last year!

My next request is this.  Please please please can we have hourly timeslots rather than two-hourly?  On workday evenings, my ideal slots are limited to 7pm and 9pm, but if we were allowed to go hourly, then I'd have 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm.  I think that would allow for greater overlap with northern hemisphere opponents.  Thanks for your consideration Omar.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #82 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 9:53am »

on Jan 5th, 2008, 12:21am, 99of9 wrote:
Please please please can we have hourly timeslots rather than two-hourly?

In the past I mostly considered hourly time slots a rounding error, but with the time control of 60 seconds per move, most of the games will not even last two hours.  The average game will be an hour and a half, and probably a few will finish in an hour.  In this context especially, it makes sense for the slots to be hourly.

If doubling the number of slots means that slightly more than double are good slots, then it's worth introducing the extra granularity.  I find that I can pick 28 slots without great pain (instead of the 30 needed) but if I had been able to choose among 119 slots, I would have been able to choose an extra slot each day (like 99of9), for a relatively painless 60.

I have never had to play on a third-choice slot in three World Championship tournaments, so when I put in a few midnight or early morning slots to fill out my schedule, I don't worry too much, but still it seems a simple way to make the scheduling smoother is all to the good.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2008, 10:07am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #83 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 11:44am »

Were we supposed to receive a web form (by e-mail?) to indicate our preferred times?  So far nothing has come my way, athough I did receive a confirmation e-mail from Omar when I registered (so my e-mail address seems to be OK).

Or is there another way to access the web form?

In short, the only times I'm unavailable this week are weekdays from 8 am to 6 pm CST (2 pm to midnight GMT).  Also, weekdays work a bit better for me than this coming weekend.

Thanks!  Looking forward to the tournament!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #84 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:32pm »

on Jan 7th, 2008, 11:44am, ChrisB wrote:
Were we supposed to receive a web form (by e-mail?) to indicate our preferred times?  So far nothing has come my way, athough I did receive a confirmation e-mail from Omar when I registered (so my e-mail address seems to be OK).

You were supposed to get an e-mail telling you that you will be playing Gold against Adanac in round one.  That e-mail would have had a link to the web form, along with an authorization code, so you could fill out your preferred times without logging into the game room.

Quote:
Or is there another way to access the web form?

Yes, if you can't find that e-mail in your spam folder, you can find the web form here
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/2008/selectTimes.cgi
but since there is no authorization code in that link it doesn't work unless you are logged into the game room.

I'm glad you are psyched to be taking part.  I can hardly wait myself.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:35pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #85 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 1:02pm »

on Jan 7th, 2008, 11:44am, ChrisB wrote:

In short, the only times I'm unavailable this week are weekdays from 8 am to 6 pm CST (2 pm to midnight GMT).  Also, weekdays work a bit better for me than this coming weekend.

Thanks!  Looking forward to the tournament!

Chris, I'm playing you this week and I've set my highest priorities for weekday mornings (6am your local time), evenings (6pm your local time except Thursday/Friday) and Sunday afternoon.   If your highest-priority time slots coincide with mine, I believe that it will choose the one that is latest in the week.  So if you place any checks in the far-left box on Sunday we're quite likely to get that one.  Use the middle and right boxes for the weekend and we should get a weekday game.
IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #86 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 11:29am »

Thanks, Fritzlein and Adanac, for the helpful information.  I see that one of my top priority choices (Friday 1200 GMT) was selected for my first game.

Yes, it does appear that the latest time is chosen when two or more times have equal priority.  Most of the first round games are scheduled for Saturday or Sunday.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #87 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 3:24pm »

Just to be sure, Saturday 12:00 am is not Saturday night at midnight but Friday night, right? The am/pm system confuses me sometimes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Confusion_at_noon_and_midnigh t
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #88 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:40pm »

Hmmm, after the two first-round forfeits, I sense a looming problem.  What if someone never shows up for any games?  It stinks for six different opponents to have to sit there waiting for a no-show.  It's especially silly if two players win by forfeit; a better pairing would leave out the two players who have withdrawn from the tournament, and end up with one more game actually played.

I propose that if a player forfeits two consecutive games, he should be automatically withdrawn from the tournament and not paired in any future rounds.  (Of course you could also withdraw by informing the tournament director, which is more courteous than not showing up, but I'm thinking more about the absentees at the moment.)

I know, this would be a rule change mid-tournament, which is generally frowned upon, but listen to the people who have waited in vain for an opponent to hear how dissatisfying it is.  Part of the idea of the idea of the Open Classic was to give everyone six good games; if you have to sit across from and empty chair for one, you only got five.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #89 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 1:40pm »

on Jan 13th, 2008, 12:40pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Hmmm, after the two first-round forfeits, I sense a looming problem.  What if someone never shows up for any games?  It stinks for six different opponents to have to sit there waiting for a no-show.  It's especially silly if two players win by forfeit; a better pairing would leave out the two players who have withdrawn from the tournament, and end up with one more game actually played.

I propose that if a player forfeits two consecutive games, he should be automatically withdrawn from the tournament and not paired in any future rounds.  (Of course you could also withdraw by informing the tournament director, which is more courteous than not showing up, but I'm thinking more about the absentees at the moment.)

I know, this would be a rule change mid-tournament, which is generally frowned upon, but listen to the people who have waited in vain for an opponent to hear how dissatisfying it is.  Part of the idea of the idea of the Open Classic was to give everyone six good games; if you have to sit across from and empty chair for one, you only got five.

I agree completely.  Many chess Swiss-tournaments disqualify you after *one* forfeit, unless you speak to the tournament director in person and ask for permission to re-enter.  With so many forfeits and late arrivals in the first round, I definitely think this issue should be addressed very soon.

In future years, hopefully only enthusiastic players join the tournament.  I'd hate to have a repeat of this next year.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.