Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 14th, 2024, 12:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa Team League? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa Team League?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa Team League?  (Read 9266 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: Arimaa Team League?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 5th, 2009, 2:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the feedback. I know we have some time before this goes ahead, but I think it would be good to have something definite in advance... I've edited the wiki to reflect everything discussed up to this point, thanks guys for all your input so far. Keep it coming!

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2010_Arimaa_World_League

To answer your questions Omar...
on Nov 5th, 2009, 11:15am, omar wrote:

In the yearly championship events there is a coordinator and director. The coordinator is in charge of running the pairing program and setting up the games and does not make any decisions; thus one of the players can be a coordinator. The director makes decisions when odd cases arise that aren't covered in the predefined rules; also decides if a particular case fits the predefined rules.

Like it

I am assuming the LC mentioned in the wiki page:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/mwiki/index.php/2010_Arimaa_World_League  
serves a role similar to the coordinator I mentioned above. You might want to consider having a single person director to over see the event rather than a committee since committees would take longer to make decisions since all members have to meet, discuss, vote, etc.

Yes it is similar. For the first time around I would be happy to serve in both roles and not participate if none of the players want to be co-ordinator. Unless of course you wanted to be director Smiley though I see you have enlisted as a player...

I would suggest not working about having a average rating ceiling. Having it helps to make the teams equal, but if one team was overly strong, I am sure the other teams would find ways to recruit some strong players too. Having it seems to complicate things a little and requires having more rules.

Yeah I suppose maintaining the geographic division solves Fritzlein's scenario of him and chessandgo teaming up and thrashing everybody... If there's a gigantic disparity between the teams we could ask some players to move over, and/or keep the ceiling idea in our back pocket if needed.

Edit: I still think it would be good to find a way of encouraging teams to field new players and not just the strongest available for any given match. That way the League could help to train new players. If there are not many new players we could simply say that, if there's a 5-player roster, the 5th player must be rated under 1900. Of course before long these u-1900 players will get good, so maybe we could accept their rating at the start of the League for this purpose. As a result of this rule each team would end up recruiting proteges at the start of each League and doing their best to coach them. These proteges would expand the pool of players, so new teams would be formed in future Leagues, which would in turn recruit more proteges etc...

For the first League it's probably simplest to ask the strongest players to be captains, but in subsequent Leagues we could maintain the teams as "clubs", so the players would decide democratically who their captain will be and take other decisions etc.

When one team plays another how is the pairing done? Is it by sorting the players of each team based on rating (WHR ratings I assume) and pairing them in order? Or does the captain of each team submits the order of the players.

If we're scrapping the rating ceiling I guess we could just give the captain free rein in setting his roster. Of course it would be generally understood that Table 1 is usually the strongest table... but then it would be pot luck as to what level everybody plays. If a captain decides to be funny and assigns a 2200 rated player to Table 5 then the poor 1500 player he plays against won't stand a chance, which won't be much fun. So maybe we should say order the players by rating as at the beginning of Week 1 of that match cycle. Either that or we implement the "Table 5 is U-1900" rule I mentioned above.

What will be the size of the teams? Is it fixed or can it vary from round to round. For example if in one round the team with the least number of players has only 3 players only the top 3 players from the other teams will be paired.

We have a standard number of tables for each match set at the beginning of the League. This will make things fair, because in our double round robin we don't want the first time two teams play each other to count for more than the second time simply because there were more players around.

I had been thinking we could have a points system, a bit like Chris's idea. 3 for a win, 1 for a loss when the game is played to the end, 0 for forfeit (meaning you don't turn up or you deliberately abandon the game). Let's say we've said a match will have 5 tables (games). That would mean a team could score a maximum of 15 points in a match and a minimum of 5 provided they finish all their games.

If the size of the teams is fixed, what happens if a team does not have enough players in one round?

We'll fix the size of the roster at less than the full number of registered players in each team. That's how I can say in the wiki that you don't have to be available for every match. If 7 players apply for each team, we could set it at 4 or 5 tables. If a couple of players say they can't make it for a particular match, no sweat. If everybody does happen to be available, the 2 or 3 players who have to sit out this match can agree with their captain to play in the next one. Just in case we could say that a captain who doesn't field a player for a table forfeits that game.

In determining the winning team, what happens if the score of two teams is tied. What would be the tie breaker?

Because it's a league, there is no need to declare a winner for a given match, only a winner of the league overall. If we come to the end of the league and it's a tie we would have tiebreaker matches as per what I've put on the wiki page, if that's ok.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2009, 8:44pm by megajester » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #31 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 8:55am »

How about we set up four clubs now (Europa, Ring of Fire, Rockies, Yankees), with their own threads in the forum.  

That way people can choose which team they'll play for, we can select captains or let each club's members elect one, and they can start to plan their path to glory. We'll have a clearer idea of whether we need more or less clubs, and the clubs can submit suggestions and ideas before the League kicks off.

Maybe we could even organize a couple of friendly matches before the League just to get everybody's juices going.

Whaddya all think?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 1:59pm »

on Nov 10th, 2009, 8:55am, megajester wrote:
Maybe we could even organize a couple of friendly matches before the League just to get everybody's juices going.

Whaddya all think?

I think you are being a touch optimistic to expect four captains to step forward and four fulls teams to rally enough to organize themselves, given that we only have six players signed up for the one-day tournament this Saturday.

In the long tradition of people doing the donkey work to make their own bright ideas reality, why don't you take the list of sixteen people who have registered for the World League, divide them into four teams of four as you see fit, post the teams and pairings to this thread, and contact Omar for help on using the game scheduler?  If it works, congratulations, you made something cool happen!  If it fizzles, you will have gained valuable insight into how to try again after the World Championship is over.

I will happily play on a team/league that somebody else is organizing, but my "trying to make things happen" quotient is already being expended on other things in my life.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #33 on: Nov 10th, 2009, 4:55pm »

Quote:
... I see you have enlisted as a player...

Yes, I'd like to just play in this event and not be a coordinator or director Smiley

Quote:
If there's a gigantic disparity between the teams we could ask some players to move over, and/or keep the ceiling idea in our back pocket if needed.

One way of doing it would be to have the TC or TD dived the registered players into the four teams at the start of the season so that the average ratings are as close as possible. But I know from observing the Cricket league which Naveed plays on that part of the fun for them is forming their own teams and trying to recruit players. This does cause some teams to be way stronger than other teams, but they don't seem to mind. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Quote:
I had been thinking we could have a points system, a bit like Chris's idea. 3 for a win, 1 for a loss when the game is played to the end, 0 for forfeit (meaning you don't turn up or you deliberately abandon the game).

Great idea.

Quote:

Sounds good. Would give everyone a chance to get familiar with the process.

IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #34 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 10:09am »

Ok, we've now got a 2010 Arimaa World League section set up in the forum, so please post any new ideas, suggestions etc. to the League Feedback thread there instead of this thread here. Thanks, and keep it coming Smiley

Clicky:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2010awl;action=display ;num=1258135580
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.