Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20185 times)
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #165 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 8:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The "Think Out Loud" game is scheduled at the wrong time, I think.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #166 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:22pm »

Even if we can't allow latecomers to the blitz tournament, surely last-minute walkons before the first round can be allowed, right?
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival if I understand cor
« Reply #167 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 3:51am »

I'm worried about the time controls for the Simuls. I'm currently scheduled for 7 games, so even assuming I'm not losing time searching for an active window / wondering in which game to play first, I don't think I can play a move on all boards in less than 2 mn. So after like 25 moves, all games will still be running and I'll find myself with a 7-game blitz simul. So I wonder how I'm going not lose all my games on time ...  

Also if I understand correctly my games stop after 1h 40 no matter what (and Karl's after 2h). Do we really expect that games will be finished by then? As things stand, it might better for me just to play 4 games rather than expect to time out all 7 Smiley
IP Logged

Hirocon
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4359

« Reply #168 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 5:15pm »

I got confused over the time zones and missed the "think out loud" match.  Were the commentaries recorded?
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #169 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 5:36pm »

on Oct 30th, 2010, 5:15pm, Hirocon wrote:
I got confused over the time zones and missed the "think out loud" match.  Were the commentaries recorded?

The whole day should have been recorded but I'm not sure whether with video. That can be work out afterwards with merging the video with playing the game with "real speed" option.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010, 8:05pm by clojure » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #170 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 6:31pm »

on Oct 30th, 2010, 5:15pm, Hirocon wrote:

I am actually uploading the first three parts of my recording right now. The parts are randomly sized, I just restarted the recording a few times to avoid losing too much data if it crashed.

They will be visible here later:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/filemanager/filemanager.php
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010, 6:34pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #171 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 7:48pm »

For the record, the audience for the festival reached a peak toward the end of the Think Out Loud match; folks in chat mentioned that there were 19 in chat simultaneously and 34 logged into the game room simultaneously.  The latter ties the record set during the 2010 World Championship.

Also Ustream told me after the strategy workshop that a peak of 15 users were watching the video stream simultaneously.

Congratulations to megajester and omar!  This festival has been a huge success!
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010, 11:57pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #172 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 11:35pm »

Thanks for all participating. It was fun and nice to get know people more closely. The European collaboration game was memorable experience, and also I got to feel the huge pressure to play against Fritzlein.

Especially thanks to Joel and Omar, and to excellent commentators. Also Fritzlein, it was nice to see very smooth and useful presentation Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010, 11:37pm by clojure » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #173 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 11:58pm »

on Oct 30th, 2010, 11:35pm, clojure wrote:
Also Fritzlein, it was nice to see very smooth and useful presentation Smiley

The presentation couldn't have been smooth without your awesome game tree tool.  You rock!
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #174 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 10:15am »

How did the second half of the festival go while we europeans were asleep? And I'm looking forward to see how the think out loud match sounded Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010, 10:16am by chessandgo » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #175 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 11:41am »

The AOF was smashingly fun !!! Thanks everyone for participating and especially Joel for organizing the whole thing. I truly enjoyed watching all the games and listening to the commentary. But without a doubt the Think Out Loud Match was for me the climax of the day.

In retrospect the only thing I regret is not having opened up the registrations for the 2011 events a little earlier and announced it in the gameroom during the AOF. If we do it again next year I will try to open the registrations at least a week before the AOF.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #176 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 11:52am »

I must say that the think out loud game went a lot more smoothly than I anticipated. Fritz and Jean's comments were extremely good. I hope we won't have to wait a year before another one of these.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010, 11:53am by Arimabuff » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #177 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 11:55am »

on Oct 30th, 2010, 6:31pm, rbarreira wrote:

I am actually uploading the first three parts of my recording right now. The parts are randomly sized, I just restarted the recording a few times to avoid losing too much data if it crashed.

They will be visible here later:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/ftp/filemanager/filemanager.php

The first three parts are there right now.  

Part 1: Launch, Simultaneous match with Jean, Blitz Tournament
Part 2: End of the Blitz Tournament, discussion, Think Out Loud Match (starts around the 52:00 mark)
Part 3: Interview with Omar, State of the Challenge (starts around the 1:15:00 mark).

Part 4 will come later.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2010, 12:01pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #178 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 2:50pm »

I had a great time yesterday, and really appreciate the work Joel and everyone else put into the event.  We tried out a lot of new playing styles and tools, and I thought I would summarize some of the thoughts/suggestions that I had and also heard from others during the day.  Since so many people enjoyed the events I expect there will be interest in doing them again.  Hopefully someone is interested in some of these projects.  In no particular order or priority:

The radio station worked great for allowing people to listen to the commentary.  I know there were plenty of people that couldn't listen to previous commentaries, and were able to listen yesterday.  I think it would be great to use this for future commentated games.
a.  Is this something that can be made generally available for other people to turn on, or does it require Omar's involvement?
b.  I noticed the site Fritz used for the training session 'video' indicated "number of people viewing".  Is it possible to have the radio page display how many people have the radio turned on?  (It seems most commentators are encouraged if they know there is an audience!)

Collaborative games:  it would be nice to work out a way for teammates to see proposed moves before they are submitted.

Think Out Loud game:  I believe both players said they would have liked more time.  Also, I wonder if the players would be willing to use their full time each turn.  This would give them a more reliable chance to finish a thought and have a smoother discussion.  (Yes, this would detract a little from the level of play that is is possible.)

Simultaneous games:
a.  Better instructions for the players:
*Players should wait for the simul giver to give a message that they are ready to begin.  (Mostly if simul giver is silver.)
*Clarification if it is allowed to play at Blitz speeds to put time pressure on the simul giver.  (I have very little experience with simuls - but it seemed that for an in person game the simul giver was 'making the rounds' and had only their internal pressure to move fast, not a ticking clock.  But Fritz did say in chat that it was a good strategy to put time pressure on the simul giver.)
b.  People have mentioned that chess sites have a tool that automatically switch to the game with the least time.

Tournament tools:  Ability to add and drop people part way through the tournament.

I hope it is understood these are meant to be constructive ideas and suggestions, and not at all a complaint.  I had a great time yesterday!  None of the above would be required to do things again, just could help make it even better.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #179 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 4:02pm »

Thank you all for your support and kind comments. I'm very very happy with how it all turned out. It's a great feeling when you have an idea in your head, and you actually manage to turn it into reality. But it would never have been possible without the support from Omar, the commentators, the participants and the wider community, so thanks to you all.

For the first Festival the most important thing for me was that it would be a success, even if not everything went perfectly. Now that the Festival has proven itself and we've had a taste of it I hope we can organize something similar later on with even more helpers. Also this time we'll all have a clearer idea of how everything works, and therefore a clearer idea of how to make additions and improvements.

I don't know whether we'll have these things yearly or every six months or what. What with everything coming up in the calendar I think we have plenty of time to hammer out all these details.

But please don't stop posting! Right now everything is fresh in our minds, so if you have any ideas for the next Festival, write them down and tell us about them now before you forget them!

PS: I've checked the history of this thread, and credit for the 'Think Out Loud' Match concept must actually go to Harren. Even though he wasn't with us on the day, his was arguably one of the biggest contributions.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.