Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 7:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting  (Read 12667 times)
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Reply #90 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 5th, 2011, 9:44am, Adanac wrote:
Is anyone else getting this error when they try to connect to TeamSpeak?

<10:39:57> Trying to resolve hostname talk.arimaa.com
<10:39:57> Trying to connect to server on talk.arimaa.com:9987
<10:40:03> Failed to connect to server

I've searched various forums to see if anyone could suggest a solution.  Quite a few people have created threads about similar problems but I've yet to find any solutions.

My headphone works just fine and I've tried uninstalling and re-installing TeamSpeak with no luck.

I have the same problem, I just keep trying until it connects.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #91 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 2:38pm »

on Feb 1st, 2011, 11:55am, Fritzlein wrote:

Omar, did you just make a change to this?  It has not been true so far.  That is to say, when the game was over, it disappeared from the 'Live Games' section.  The people who were already watching it could continue to spectate, but the players themselves could not start spectating after the game ended.

Yes, this was changed when I changed it so that the result is not reported until the delay time is over.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #92 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 2:42pm »

on Feb 4th, 2011, 11:17am, mistre wrote:

Glad you could fix this - it was anticlimatic to see the game conclusion in the gameroom before the game was finished!  

As for players not showing up in the chat until the game is over for spectators - is there any way this can be enforced or at least timed so that the player knows when they can join the chat?  Or is the player supposed to watch the end of his own game?  Some kind of guideline would be helpful.

Not easy to enforce this. It would be best if the players just watch the end of their own game before coming into the chatroom.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #93 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 2:46pm »

on Feb 5th, 2011, 10:19am, Eltripas wrote:

I have the same problem, I just keep trying until it connects.

That's strange. Sometimes if the server is upgraded the clients need to be upgraded in order to be able to connect to the server. But, I have not upgraded the server recently.

I'll restart the server in case it might help.

IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #94 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 9:48pm »

Omar proposed an idea for co-commentating that I'd like to try in round 6.  One commentator suggests moves for Gold then after the move has been played the 2nd commentator suggests a move for silver.  This could be interesting if the two commentators have different styles that match up with the corresponding player.  For example, it just so happens that many of the pairings for Round 6 feature a strategic player versus a tactical player.  Everyone uses both strategy & tactics, of course, but I'm labelling based upon each player's forte.

Fritzlein vs. Chessandgo
rabbits vs. Tuks
woh vs. hanzack
etc.  are a few examples of strategic vs. tactical battles in round 6.  

I'd be willing to experiment with this for 1 or more games this round if anyone else wants to give it a shot.  I'd be most comfortable suggesting moves for Chessandgo/Tuks/hanzack, etc. since they're the players whose moves I'm more likely to correctly predict.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2011, 9:54pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #95 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 10:33pm »

Intriguing!  I'll bet that Nombril can predict more of my moves than you can predict of chessandgo's moves.  But mostly that is because I am so predictable. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011, 12:10am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #96 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 10:48pm »

I did notice that Fritz's postgame analysis was pretty close to what I had been saying during the live game.  And also chessandgo's comments in chat often agreed with Adanac's statements on the commentary...

I'm up for the challenge, and would be willing to take up the opposite half of the games Adanac mentioned.  (Well, I probably wouldn't be able to do all three...)

Since some of the scheduled times change on Tuesday, I'll plan on reviewing my own schedule then, and hopefully some of our times will match up.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #97 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 1:28pm »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 9:48pm, Adanac wrote:
 This could be interesting if the two commentators have different styles that match up with the corresponding player.  For example, it just so happens that many of the pairings for Round 6 feature a strategic player versus a tactical player.  Everyone uses both strategy & tactics, of course, but I'm labelling based upon each player's forte.

Fritzlein vs. Chessandgo

I suppose I'm the strategic player here then? Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #98 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 1:30pm »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 10:48pm, Nombril wrote:
I did notice that Fritz's postgame analysis was pretty close to what I had been saying during the live game.  And also chessandgo's comments in chat often agreed with Adanac's statements on the commentary...

Actually I was pretty much typing things and then erasing them as you were saying them aloud (or as rabbits were playing them) the whole way Smiley But yeah, I suppose I took quite a few things from Adanac's play.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #99 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 2:16pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 1:28pm, chessandgo wrote:
I suppose I'm the strategic player here then? Smiley

Heh, I would cast the difference between me and you as more material-oriented versus goal-oriented.  When you and I disagree about a position, it is usually because I value a material advantage more highly and you value a goal attack more highly.  I wish I could claim to be more strategic than you and attribute all of your victories over me to superior tactics, but the sad reality is that you are better than me at both strategy and at tactics.  Cry

P.S. In the past when I have praised you, in the week before we play a tournament game, as being a better player than I am, you have described it as "psychological warfare".  My stance is that if you don't want me to say you are a better player than I am, then you need to start losing to me more often.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2011, 2:19pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #100 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 9:47am »

I can co-commentate on two games this week:  jdb vs. Nevermind  (with Fritzlein) and Fritzlein vs. Chessandgo (with Nombril).

I might do knarl vs. ginrunner on Friday (anyone want to co-commentate?) but it depends on whether I can get out of work as early as I’m supposed to.  

Where the other commentator agrees to it, this week I'd prefer to experiment with Omar's suggestion of alternating commentary after each move.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #101 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:01pm »

So I'll do jdb and you'll do Nevermind?

The other games I am hoping to commentate (with or without a co-commentator) are Nombril vs. Adanac and Hippo vs. Sconibulus.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:04pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #102 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 9:49am »

I have updated the commentary spreadsheet.  Thanks to whoever was doing this every round until now (Hippo?); it's a little fussy.  But it was good for me to get a primer in Google spreadsheet.  Smiley  We have coverage for five games already; more commentary/co-commentary is always welcome.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2011, 9:50am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #103 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 9:51pm »

I believe I will be able to commentate for both Tuks vs. hanzack and chessandgo vs. Nombril.  Earlier in the tournament I was encouraging other commentators to spread around among the games so that a higher percentage of games would have at least some commentary.  Now that we are down to just four games, I am hopeful that all games will have at least one comentator, so if folks would like to join me commentating my two games of choice I have no objections.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #104 on: Feb 15th, 2011, 3:13am »

Ok, I hadn't commentated any WC game yet, I've finally made the leap with Adanac-rabbits. I've put my name as "main commentator", but actually if someone wants to commentate with me I'll likely take the co-commentator position Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.