Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 4:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting  (Read 12662 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2011 WC - Commentary and Reporting
« Reply #120 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 1:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 17th, 2011, 11:24am, Fritzlein wrote:

That's great about the video files, but what about the audio files?  Are you going to permanently store those, or throw them away because they have no video?

I was going to compress these audio files some more before saving them. I've copied them over now to the videos/2011wc area so they can be linked. Even though compressing them takes some time it does reduce the file size quite a bit, without much quality loss. I did it on the R3-woh-megamau file and it went from about 112 MB down to 14 MB. I'm using Audicity with LAME MP3 encoder set to export at a bit rate of 16.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #121 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 3:38pm »

on Feb 18th, 2011, 1:24pm, omar wrote:
I was going to compress these audio files some more before saving them. I've copied them over now to the videos/2011wc area so they can be linked. Even though compressing them takes some time it does reduce the file size quite a bit, without much quality loss. I did it on the R3-woh-megamau file and it went from about 112 MB down to 14 MB. I'm using Audicity with LAME MP3 encoder set to export at a bit rate of 16.

Great, thanks.  In the future I will compress to a bitrate of 16 myself before uploading.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #122 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 3:42pm »

Bad news.  My router just died.  Verizon says there is no way for me to get connected except to wait for the new router they are mailing me.  I will definitely not be able to give commentary on Tuks vs. hanzack, and chessandgo vs. Nombril would require the router ordered today to arrive tomorrow.  Fat chance of that.  The library has free Internet access, which is where I am to write this, but they sort of frown on downloading software onto their computer and then talking incessantly for an hour or two.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #123 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 3:17pm »

I have signed up for the chessandgo v. Nombril game. I promise to do my homework Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #124 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 9:47pm »

on Feb 15th, 2011, 3:13am, chessandgo wrote:
Ok, I hadn't commentated any WC game yet, I've finally made the leap with Adanac-rabbits.

That was quite a leap, as it turned into a three-hour game.  Thank you!  I have listened to the first half, and it is fascinating to hear how we agree and disagree about various positions.  I had wondered whether I was shooting myself in the foot by giving so much commentary, since you will know how I think but I won't know how you think if we face each other.  Just from this one game, however, I feel amply repaid.  And however it affects our game against each other that we are giving tips to each other, I am confident that our commentary is playing some part in the overall higher level of play in the 2011 World Championship compared to 2010.  I feel the man-machine balance tipping more in humanity's favor this year.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #125 on: Feb 19th, 2011, 9:47pm »

on Feb 19th, 2011, 3:17pm, megajester wrote:
I have signed up for the chessandgo v. Nombril game. I promise to do my homework Smiley

I will be able to join you, unless I oversleep.  Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #126 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 2:38am »

on Feb 19th, 2011, 9:47pm, Fritzlein wrote:
 I have listened to the first half, and it is fascinating to hear how we agree and disagree about various positions.  

Just wait for the 2nd half Smiley
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #127 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 7:45am »

on Feb 19th, 2011, 9:47pm, Fritzlein wrote:

That was quite a leap, as it turned into a three-hour game.  Thank you!  I have listened to the first half, and it is fascinating to hear how we agree and disagree about various positions.  I had wondered whether I was shooting myself in the foot by giving so much commentary, since you will know how I think but I won't know how you think if we face each other.  Just from this one game, however, I feel amply repaid.  And however it affects our game against each other that we are giving tips to each other, I am confident that our commentary is playing some part in the overall higher level of play in the 2011 World Championship compared to 2010.  I feel the man-machine balance tipping more in humanity's favor this year.

It's certainly helping my game a lot to have consecutive weeks with each of you commentating on one of my games  Cool  When I'm playing, you're both suggesting better moves than the ones I'm playing.  And when I'm commentating, I find it difficult to think & commentate and I make lots of tactical oversights.  I honestly have no idea how I'm keeping my rating so close to yours.   Undecided
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #128 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 9:00pm »

The games today saw a record number of people listening on the radio.

The chessandgo vs Nombril game had 25 peak listeners; setting a record. Then the Hippo vs Fritzlein game had 28 peak listeners.

I think it helped that I posted direct links to the game window on twitter, igGameCenter and LittleGolem. Tried facebook also, but it wasn't taking the post.

We really should promote these WC games with live commentary more. They are great examples of high quality games full of drama and action. I'm going to setup a WC promotion committee and anyone is interested in being on it, send me a message from my profile or the contact page. I hope we can get to about 50 peak listeners for the last game of the WC.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #129 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 10:09pm »

on Feb 20th, 2011, 7:45am, Adanac wrote:
I honestly have no idea how I'm keeping my rating so close to yours.   Undecided

Hee hee, your rating is getting further from mine every week.  Smiley  But seriously, I truly appreciate your kind words about my commentary.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #130 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 11:36am »

on Feb 20th, 2011, 9:00pm, omar wrote:
I think it helped that I posted direct links to the game window on twitter, igGameCenter and LittleGolem. Tried facebook also, but it wasn't taking the post.

Thanks for doing this promotion, Omar.  I think the live commentary is a very impressive and very marketable commodity.  What board games apart from Arimaa have this?  Chess, Go, shogi, and xiangqi are the only ones I know of.  Can you find live commentary for Blokus, Pente, Gipf, Ingenious, Havannah, Cannon, Oust, and Hive?  The way the Arimaa community treats Arimaa is a strong signal to the outside world that Arimaa is like the age-old classics.

My one quibble with the promotion is that the tweet, "Arimaa world championship game with live commentary now in progress" implies that it is the world championship going on, and the winner of that game will become the World Champion of Arimaa.  I'm afraid that it won't attract as many viewers next time, like the boy who cried "Wolf".  Maybe the problem is that Twitter forces one to be overly succinct, but maybe there is room to insert "quarterfinal" when advertising Round 8 games.  Yes, I know even that isn't quite accurate, but I think it will give people enough of an idea that they wouldn't then be disappointed to find out the exact truth.

This just my allergy to over-hyping popping up again.  Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #131 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 5:55pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 11:36am, Fritzlein wrote:
My one quibble with the promotion is that the tweet, "Arimaa world championship game with live commentary now in progress" implies that it is the world championship going on, and the winner of that game will become the World Champion of Arimaa.  I'm afraid that it won't attract as many viewers next time, like the boy who cried "Wolf".  Maybe the problem is that Twitter forces one to be overly succinct, but maybe there is room to insert "quarterfinal" when advertising Round 8 games.  Yes, I know even that isn't quite accurate, but I think it will give people enough of an idea that they wouldn't then be disappointed to find out the exact truth.

It was a spur of the moment decision to try posting some links to the games, so I wasn't quite ready with the wording. Will try to have better wording next time.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #132 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:03am »

I saw someone saying in the chat room that the Hippo vs Fritzlein game had been uploaded, but I don't see it in the usual place. (2011 WC folder in the file manager)
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #133 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:35am »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:03am, rbarreira wrote:
I saw someone saying in the chat room that the Hippo vs Fritzlein game had been uploaded, but I don't see it in the usual place. (2011 WC folder in the file manager)

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #134 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:45am »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:35am, Hippo wrote:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2011wc/

Oh, thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11  ...  13 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.