Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 7:44pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 Postal Mixer »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 Postal Mixer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  12 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Postal Mixer  (Read 16502 times)
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

Re: 2011 Postal Mixer
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 12:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I guess I'll need to learn first how to focus on a game position for a longer time than a minute or two!  Cheesy
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 1:03am »

on Mar 31st, 2011, 12:58am, UruramTururam wrote:
I guess I'll need to learn first how to focus on a game position for a longer time than a minute or two!  Cheesy

Not necessarily; you could just as well learn how to not make a move the instant your focus gives out, but rather wait and return to the position the next day to see if something different occurs to you.  Wink
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #17 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 2:31am »

Good point! Thanks!
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #18 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 2:32pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 7:52am, rbarreira wrote:
Omar is it possible to sign up bot_briareus for 18 games?

I think I contributed $20 to the prize fund so that should cover the WCC participation and the postal mixer, but please correct me if that's wrong.

Rbarreria, Is briareus improved from the version that entered the computer championship?
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #19 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 2:37pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2011, 2:32pm, mistre wrote:

Rbarreria, Is briareus improved from the version that entered the computer championship?

Yes, I have done a few improvements, both in the eval and the search. Also, it will be running on stronger hardware than that used for the computer championship.

It will probably be thinking for 3 hours per move. I think that should be possible, unless many people are moving very fast in their games against it.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #20 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 2:46pm »

I'd rather play against human opponents...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:12pm »

I'd rather have a game against each computer opponent, even though last year my eleven games got filled up before I got down to OpFor, so I had to be content to with just my game against clueless.  I hope that this year briareus will be rated high enough that I get paired with briareus before my eleven games run out.

I think, however, that we will open a can of worms if we start trying to honor individual pairing requests to have or not have bots as opponents.  Even though it presumably can't hurt a bot's feelings to be excluded (or contrariwise make the bot feel special to be specifically requested by an opponent) there are potential logistical nightmares in adding cases to the pairing code.  If bots are included in the tournament at all, they should be paired like everyone else.

It is, of course, open for debate whether bots should be allowed to participate in the Postal Mixer at all.  I strongly feel that they should.  The man vs. machine theme is so much a part of Arimaa that the only event that I want computers to be excluded from is the World Championship and the only event I want humans to be excluded from is the Computer Championship.  Other than that, I am happiest to have every event be mixed.  If there had been enough willing developers, I would have even liked to see a computer team in the Arimaa World League.

I understand, though, if others feel differently.  How do the other folks who have signed up for the Postal Mixer feel about competing against a bot?
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #22 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:26pm »

Yup I also think bots should be allowed to play. And if I'm paired with a bot I will not complain.

Maybe it is worth considering for the next year mixer to add an option: a switch [pair me with humans if possible / pair me with bots if possible / I don't care]. Of course "if possible" is important part there.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #23 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:29pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:12pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I hope that this year briareus will be rated high enough that I get paired with briareus before my eleven games run out.

I don't mind setting up additional postal games for anyone who doesn't get paired against it and wants to play it. Of course they wouldn't count for the postal mixer, but if that's not a problem we can set up a game anyway.

Up to a reasonable limit on the number of games of course (which is not likely to be reached).
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #24 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:39pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:29pm, rbarreira wrote:
I don't mind setting up additional postal games for anyone who doesn't get paired against it and wants to play it.

Thanks for that generous offer, extending the generosity of entering briareus in the Postal Mixer in the first place.  I expect I will get paired against briareus within the Postal Mixer, but if I don't, I certainly will take you up on your offer.
IP Logged

ChrisB
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2339

« Reply #25 on: Apr 2nd, 2011, 4:23pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:12pm, Fritzlein wrote:
How do the other folks who have signed up for the Postal Mixer feel about competing against a bot?

I've enjoyed playing bots in the previous postal mixers and would be interested in playing briareus and/or other bots in the upcoming mixer.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #26 on: Apr 8th, 2011, 4:13am »

Maybe one day when bots play better it would be fun to have a Mob game against a bot thinking 7 days per move.
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2011, 4:48am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Apr 8th, 2011, 9:53am »

on Apr 8th, 2011, 4:13am, rbarreira wrote:
Maybe one day when bots play better it would be fun to have a Mob game against a bot thinking 7 days per move.

You might find some interest for that even at the current level of bot play.  Part of the reason there is no Mob game going on at present is that chessandgo and I found it grueling to be The One.  If you are interested in offering briareus as The One, you should open a thread to gauge interest in the Mob participation.  But aren't you already dedicating your server full time for the Postal Mixer?
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2011, 9:53am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #28 on: Apr 8th, 2011, 9:58am »

on Apr 8th, 2011, 9:53am, Fritzlein wrote:

You might find some interest for that even at the current level of bot play.  Part of the reason there is no Mob game going on at present is that chessandgo and I found it grueling to be The One.  If you are interested in offering briareus as The One, you should open a thread to gauge interest in the Mob participation.  But aren't you already dedicating your server full time for the Postal Mixer?

Yes my main computer will be busy with the postal for the next few months, and I wouldn't consider it interesting to do it with a slower computer that might be available.

First let's see how it does in the postal. It might play pretty bad, in which case it wouldn't be so interesting to even propose it.

I wonder if any other bot developer would be interested to do it with their bot?
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2011, 9:59am by rbarreira » IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #29 on: Apr 8th, 2011, 11:19am »

on Apr 8th, 2011, 9:58am, rbarreira wrote:

I wonder if any other bot developer would be interested to do it with their bot?

A mob game against marwin or sharp allowed to calculate a week per move would be a nice experience... Well, then?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  12 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.