Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:07am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Announce Bot Bashing Record »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Announce Bot Bashing Record
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Announce Bot Bashing Record  (Read 31467 times)
mistre
Forum Guru

Re: Announce Bot Bashing Record
« Reply #150 on: May 26th, 2012, 10:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You do realize that you can play games unrated, right?  It is generally encouraged to play handicap games unrated so that the gameroom ratings remain as accurate as possible.

IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #151 on: May 26th, 2012, 11:03pm »

on May 26th, 2012, 10:41pm, mistre wrote:
You do realize that you can play games unrated, right?  It is generally encouraged to play handicap games unrated so that the gameroom ratings remain as accurate as possible.

Who, me? I usually do unless I'm fairly certain that I can win, or it's such a small handicap that it's unlikely to affect the result. I played four simultaneous dog handicap games against weak bots, and I thought I would easily win them all, but I ended up losing one. Is that what you're reffering to? Sure I also played Bomb rated, but I'd guess that a mere dog in a lightning game isn't enough to affect win percentages significantly.
I've been losing a lot of games the past few days, but almost all of them are due to my own in game failures, not because of handicaps.
IP Logged

gurugsk
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6688

« Reply #152 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 10:43am »

Do we have any other game as the one below (Goal, elimination and immobilization)

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=199024
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #153 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 12:59pm »

Yes, there is at least one other.  I suspect there are several more.  

I think it's an interesting ending to a game, but I'm not sure it's worth tracking. The ending itself seems contrived.  Not as bad as, say, ending with all of your pieces in a diagonal, but I think it's more contrived than the other ways to win that are being tracked.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #154 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 10:02am »

on Jun 6th, 2012, 12:59pm, ocmiente wrote:
Yes, there is at least one other.  I suspect there are several more.  

I think it's an interesting ending to a game, but I'm not sure it's worth tracking. The ending itself seems contrived.  Not as bad as, say, ending with all of your pieces in a diagonal, but I think it's more contrived than the other ways to win that are being tracked.  

I don't think that it's the "contrivity" that's important. I think it's the actual difficulty and ACTIVE competition involved that make a record worth mentionning. The idea of a record of a few accidents, to say nothing of a record of ONE, is ridiculous.
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #155 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 11:15am »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 10:02am, Arimabuff wrote:

I don't think that it's the "contrivity" that's important. I think it's the actual difficulty and ACTIVE competition involved that make a record worth mentionning. The idea of a record of a few accidents, to say nothing of a record of ONE, is ridiculous.

Yes, I agree with that.  I found that when trying to end a game in this particular way, it was not as interesting as I thought it would be.  To your point, I would question whether  competing to end a game in this way (goal, immobilization, elimination) would attract that many people.  My few attempts satisfied me to the point that my interest in doing it again is gone.  Winning by goal with no captures, on the other hand, still interests me.

What I would find incredibly interesting is if someone could win by goal, immobilization, and elimination, AND no captures on either side.  I don't expect anyone has ever done that.  I would be happy to be proven wrong. Or, maybe that's just a puzzle.  Set up a board position that could lead to such a thing.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2012, 11:41am by ocmiente » IP Logged

tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #156 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 11:58am »

on Jun 7th, 2012, 11:15am, ocmiente wrote:
What I would find incredibly interesting is if someone could win by goal, immobilization, and elimination, AND no captures on either side.

Hmm, eliminating the opponent without capturing any rabbits.  Cheesy
I'd say that that would be very interesting to see.
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #157 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 12:11pm »

Embarassed
too early in the morning for me.
IP Logged

tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #158 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 1:06pm »

Maybe I should confess that I started by thinking that it would be very easy to set up such a puzzle...  Smiley
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #159 on: Jun 7th, 2012, 6:04pm »

Well it is possible, depending on the definition of "capture". Tongue
IP Logged
gurugsk
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6688

« Reply #160 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:30am »

Who has won most bots in each category? (By Goal, By Elimination and By Immobilization) Huh
IP Logged
gurugsk
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6688

« Reply #161 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 10:12am »

Eliminated the bot without capturing any piece, is this a record?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=23 4463&role=v&side=b
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #162 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 2:02pm »

on Jun 13th, 2012, 10:12am, gurugsk wrote:
Eliminated the bot without capturing any piece, is this a record?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/opengamewin.cgi?client=1&gameid=23 4463&role=v&side=b

It's the first time I've seen a game like that.  So, maybe a record of some sort.  

This raises the philosophical question of whether putting your opponent into a position in which the only way for him to move is to lose one of his pieces means that he just lost his piece or that the piece was 'captured'.  

I lean toward saying that the piece was captured when the loss is forced, especially when thinking about the elephant.  The only way to eliminate the elephant is by a blunder, or by forcing your opponent into a position where the only way to move would cause his elephant to be lost.  I would say that the elephant was captured in that case, but maybe there is a better term for it.  Seems kind of like herding an animal into a trap - and I think you herded the rabbits very well in the game you cited.

Practically speaking, searching the database of games for pieces that were captured vs. lost is much more difficult than simply looking to see if any pieces were removed from the board at the end of the game.  

On the other hand...  what you have done is different than how the game is usually played, so maybe the 'captured' vs. 'lost' distinction is worth making.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #163 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 5:18am »

on Jun 13th, 2012, 2:02pm, ocmiente wrote:

It's the first time I've seen a game like that.  So, maybe a record of some sort.  

This raises the philosophical question of whether putting your opponent into a position in which the only way for him to move is to lose one of his pieces means that he just lost his piece or that the piece was 'captured'.  

I lean toward saying that the piece was captured when the loss is forced, especially when thinking about the elephant.  The only way to eliminate the elephant is by a blunder, or by forcing your opponent into a position where the only way to move would cause his elephant to be lost.  I would say that the elephant was captured in that case, but maybe there is a better term for it.  Seems kind of like herding an animal into a trap - and I think you herded the rabbits very well in the game you cited.

Practically speaking, searching the database of games for pieces that were captured vs. lost is much more difficult than simply looking to see if any pieces were removed from the board at the end of the game.  

On the other hand...  what you have done is different than how the game is usually played, so maybe the 'captured' vs. 'lost' distinction is worth making.

It's a record of sorts but so is playing an entire game without moving your camel or a game where you keep the distance between your horses constant... the possibilities are endless...
IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #164 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 9:36am »

I see it more as a specific challenge than a single record.  If you want to organize a challenge contest like idahoev did back in 2006 with some kind of conditions, you might get some interest, depending on what the conditions are.

The hard part is to make the conditions difficult enough to be a challenge, but also not so obscure that it will still appeal to the most number of potential challengers and not take an inordinate amount of moves to achieve.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012, 9:39am by mistre » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.