Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tournament Size Pieces »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tournament Size Pieces
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Size Pieces  (Read 23027 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: Tournament Size Pieces
« Reply #60 on: Mar 17th, 2011, 3:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 16th, 2011, 5:25pm, megamau wrote:
I also received my set today......ouch 45 euro of value added tax to pay at custom.

Shocked and I thought Turkey was bad!

Here you have a 150 euro import limit. Anything above that gets stuck, and then you have to pay the cargo firm 80 euros to give you a silly little bit of paperwork to go to customs to pay tax and stamp duty to then come back and pay for storage and finally pick it up. It can happen even when it's below the limit if the customs official arbitrarily decides he doesn't think it's for personal use. (If he's in bed with the cargo firm, he makes this decision based on the likelihood of you jumping through the hoops.) I had just such an "adventure" with DHL Express last month...

Word of the wise: If you can afford to wait for normal post to come through, don't take the risk of sending it by express cargo! There's nothing wrong with it, it's just slower... and therefore cheaper.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #61 on: Mar 17th, 2011, 7:32am »

I had to go to the customs office and explain certain things but all ended up at a small approval fee (around $2). So it was much more troublesome than expensive for me.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #62 on: Mar 17th, 2011, 11:14pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 3:09pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I'm reluctant to bang around the pieces just to test whether they will break, but I intend to be rough with them in the normal course of use.  I never liked playing on a marble chess set, because my fear of chipping pieces distracted me from the game.  This set feels durable; time will tell how long it holds up to my abuse.  Smiley

I had a problem with my set recently, and I have to warn everyone not to put the pieces loose in a bag or box when transporting them.  The plastic is durable, but if it is struck hard and fast enough it will fracture.    

I had my pieces loose in a box, and drove to another location and back.  When I looked at the set at home, one of the rabbit's ears was broken.  It was a clean break in one spot clean through the ear.  I can repair this easily enough, but I strongly recommend treating the pieces as if they were made of glass so that none of your rabbits meet the same fate.  

I will be emailing everyone who has purchased the set so far about this incident, and will post similar information on the sales page.

I had a similar incident with a camel earlier, but that was with a rotary tool spinning at several thousand RPM and the hit was very hard and very fast.  At that speed, the plastic chipped similar to the way glass might chip.  

I suspect that with the rabbit's ear break, the box I had the pieces in was jolted at some point (actually, I know it was jolted many times) and that some hard contact between pieces caused the break. I'm planning on rolling all of the pieces up in a towel, or bubble wrap, or something similar, prior to transporting them, in the future.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #63 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 4:21am »

Yes, rabbit ears are fragile. One of mine rabbits pierced the foam with its ear and left it there. Foryunately it was easy to repair with a small drop of speedy-glue and there is in fact no sign of the accident now. Yet rabbits are "handle with care" items.
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #64 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 11:54am »

If anyone has a set and has a piece with a broken ear (or anything worse) and needs a replacement piece, please email a picture of the broken piece to tournament.pieces@gmail.com, or contact me through the etsy site.

I can't afford to ship it to you for free, but I can send you a replacement for the cost of postage through the end of April.  Sending one piece should be a lot cheaper than sending the entire set.  

After the end of April, I'll charge a fair per-piece replacement price.  by that time everyone who has a set should be well aware that they should be handled with care.  
IP Logged

JTiberius
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #5946

« Reply #65 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 2:24pm »

I just got my set yesterday and I think it is amazing.  No trouble telling the horses from the camels now, like in the smaller set.  The big board really opens up the game and I played 3 games with my daughter as soon as we opened it up.  Thanks for all of the hard work to make this available!
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #66 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 5:46pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 8:01pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Can anyone solve the puzzle: Silver to move and goal in three?

Upload this one to the BGG Arimaa gallery!  Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #67 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 10:19pm »

on Mar 18th, 2011, 5:46pm, UruramTururam wrote:
Upload this one to the BGG Arimaa gallery!  Smiley

Nah; it's not even the right position. Undecided
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #68 on: Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:05am »

OK, so just one more photo...  Grin

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/950528/arimaa?size=large
IP Logged

Slartibartfast
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #3056

« Reply #69 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 3:25am »

Hello.
Just wondering if these sets are likely to become available again.  I'm keen to get one but the Etsy links keep coming back '404'.

Also, could I get you to repeat the listing price here as Etsy doesn't seem to show the price of 'Sold' items (or at least i can't find it).

Thanks.
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #70 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 12:05pm »

Yes, I'll get a set up there by the end of next week, since you asked - thanks  Smiley.  

Making these sets takes a lot of time, and can be frustrating when the pieces come out flawed.  Frankly, I got a little burned out on making them.  The urge to manufacture has been coming back though, and this will get me started.  

IP Logged

Slartibartfast
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #3056

« Reply #71 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 3:59am »

Great to hear (: (:

And a price? Or are you still working that out?
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #72 on: Sep 12th, 2011, 10:24pm »

Another set  has been listed on the Etsy site.
IP Logged

Slartibartfast
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #3056

« Reply #73 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 12:28am »

Great to see (:
But, oow, $240 Grin
That's a bit more that I was expecting.
(in fact about $100 more than I was expecting)

I'm certainly not meaning to be rude but I saw 'megamau' posted earlier saying:
on Feb 14th, 2011, 9:26am, megamau wrote:
Actually my "two figures" limit was in euro.
So after the rebate I might think about actually getting one.
I took this to mean the sets were $100 - $150 plus shipping.  Is it just that the price as risen or did I miss understand something?

To be clear, I appreciate the amount of work required to produce these sets and understand the 'supply and demand' semantics so don't think I'm quibbling over the price I just wasn't expecting as much.

Hmm, $290 delivered...
Can I stretch $290 - lord knows I want to Wink
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #74 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 2:36pm »

Yes, everything you wrote is correct.  The retail price hasn't changed since the set was initially offered.  The reason the price was lower earlier this year is that there was an introductory coupon available for the first people to buy the set.  I have no plans to offer any more coupons at this time, and even if I do, I don't expect the discount to be as significant as the introductory coupon was.  

I sympathize with the sticker shock.  It would be nice if I could offer the set at a lower price, but the price is an honest reflection of what it costs to make the set.  

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011, 3:49pm by ocmiente » IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.