Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:43pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2006 Postal Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2006 Postal Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2006 Postal Tournament  (Read 6979 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2006 Postal Tournament
« Reply #15 on: Mar 5th, 2006, 7:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Mar 4th, 2006, 7:48pm, RonWeasley wrote:
I considered sending the following message, regardless of the position, to all my opponents at move 10:  I see what you are trying to do and it won't work.
Heh.  By move 10 in our game it will be too late.  I can see that you will already have a lost position.  Grin

(My problem is that I worry about offending people only after I've already sent the trash talk.  Sad)
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #16 on: Mar 9th, 2006, 11:36pm »

A quick note to everyone who is waiting on me - apologies, I became buried under demands by a client literally two days after the tournament began.   Oh, and four people opened against me with identical moves so I wanted time to study responses.

Anyhow, I'm nearly unburied now, so I should be back at it shortly.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 1:11am »

Two weeks into the tournament there seem to be as many games blazing forward as are lagging behind.  The top four leaders in move count are the same as last week, but Ron Weasley made a big jump from ninth to fifth, while Ryan Cable dropped from fifth to twelfth.

107 robinson
100 blue22
97 Belbo
81 dtj
77 RonWeasley
76 omar
70 OLTI
69 Adanac
68 fritzlforpresident
63 99of9
57 thorin
55 Ryan_Cable
54 frostlad
53 Fritzlein
53 megamau
40 jdb
32 naveed
16 IdahoEv
10 purplebaron

The single game furthest along is Robinson vs. RonWeasley at move 22.  Robinson is materially ahead by a rabbit, but Ron appears to have more than enough compensation in the form of a horse frame plus a horse hostage.  

By the way, thanks, Omar, for fixing the move number to show the move number Gold is about to make, so that it is the same for Gold and Silver.  That added almost fifty moves to the totals from last week but the numbers are much more intuitive now, e.g. purplebaron is on move one in every game rather than being on move zero in some.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 2:04pm »

on Feb 26th, 2006, 12:12pm, jdb wrote:
Some advice:

When analyzing games in the planning window, *close* the game window, to prevent sending a move by accident! When you have decided on your move, reopen the game window.

Aaaaaugh!  I just sent an accidental move by not following this advice.  There goes my good position against RonWeasley.   Angry  I'm sure he hit me with a Confusticate Curse.  Oh, well, at least I didn't hang my camel.  Go ahead and run away your horse, Ron, and we'll start over from scratch.  Smiley
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 3:24pm »

looks like he survived move 10 after all  Wink
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #20 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 7:49am »

Fritzlein, your bad moves are still better than my good moves.  Still, be careful of the dog.  It might be Sirius Black.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14th, 2006, 10:37am »

Omar, I had visited http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2006/showGames.cgi earlier, before you finished developing it, so I didn't expect it to be so cool when I visited just now.  Thanks for doing this along with all the other great server features you do.

IMHO, one small improvement would be to list the score in the order of (wins-losses) instead of order of (wins).  Someone who is 1-0 with nine games to go should be ahead of someone who is 2-3 with five games to go.  This is just a teeny suggestion for a great page.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #22 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 5:59pm »

Good idea Karl. I've changed the page. Now it also show the points earned.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 4:37pm »

on Mar 15th, 2006, 5:59pm, omar wrote:
Now it also show the points earned.
Thanks, another excellent idea.

By the way, I forgot to note that the first game finished while nine games hadn't even started!  We are down to two and a half days for PurpleBaron to make his opening move in five games, and Naveed in three.
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 5:41pm »

I called 'baron at work yesterday to poke him a bit.   Apparenlty I caught him at the end of 36-hour-straight work shift, but it seems I managed to prod him into choosing opening positions, anyway.

Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 7:33pm »

Excellent.  Now only Naveed is in danger of timing out, which is a little weird.  Why would one play in seven games but not in the other three?
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:49pm »

Perhaps his numbers haven't updated in the gameroom, and so he believes he is waiting for the other players?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 5:09pm »

I commented on a game of Naveed's just as an additional reminder 16 hours before the deadline, but it looks like he has timed out anyway against Thorin.  That makes a rocky start for Naveed.  Meanwhile Thorin is already leading in six of his other games!  We could be witnessing the emergence of a new star, folks.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 22nd, 2006, 1:54pm »

Omar, I see that the page http://arimaa.com/arimaa/tourn/postal/2006/showGames.cgi is updating the standings automatically as the games end, but it apparently couldn't handle Naveed's time loss to Thorin.  Can you do something manually to correct the standings?  Maybe the unstarted game wasn't saved, so you need to insert a placemarker game into the database for the cgi script to find?  Thanks in advance.

[EDIT] I notice that also no rating points changed hands, even though all postal games are rated according to the tournament rules.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2006, 6:05pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #29 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 3:34pm »

No moves were made in the game and so it did not get recorded in the games database.

I wonder why Naveed never moved in this game. I will check with the players to see if they want me to restore the game and try again.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.