Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2006 Postal Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2006 Postal Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2006 Postal Tournament  (Read 6972 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2006 Postal Tournament
« Reply #30 on: Mar 25th, 2006, 11:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Even if there was something to prevent Naveed from moving, I'm not sure what his excuse would be to not mention it for three weeks.  I even commented one of his games so he would get an extra reminder, and he didn't respond.  It was quite public that everyone had ten games to play, and even who all ten opponents of each player should be.  It seems to me that the entry fee to insure commitment was designed to discourage lapses like this, and that a loss plus negative 60 points for ignoring a game is perfectly reasonable.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #31 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 10:40am »

I checked with the players and they both would like to play out that game. Naveed said the game was at the bottom of the list and he just didn't notice it. Suggested listing the games where a move is needed at the top. I've reset the game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 12:02pm »

That's great that Thorin wants to play out the game.  If he ends the tournament with a huge score (as I'm starting to expect) it will be more impressive if it doesn't include any forfeits.

One potential problem with the restarted game is that it is 28 days behind the other game.  That is to say, all the other postal game are guaranteed to finish within 2006, but Naveed vs. Thorin could now extend a full month into 2007.  That would defeat the purpose of all the other games having a time cutoff, since the tournament can't end until all the games have ended.

Therefore I propose shortening the game time of the restarted game by 28 days to be in line with the other games, and also reducing Naveed's reserve by 28 days so the same number of moves are assured in that game as in the other games.  I don't think 28 days less of reserve is unduly harsh penalty to Naveed for losing on time, and it will preserve the pace of the entire tournament.
IP Logged

frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 4:01pm »

I see that the games where it is your move now appear at the top of your page. I like that feature a lot. Thanks Omar!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 8:50pm »

on Mar 30th, 2006, 4:01pm, frostlad wrote:
I see that the games where it is your move now appear at the top of your page. I like that feature a lot. Thanks Omar!

I second that vote: the new feature is way cool.  Thanks, Omar.   If it isn't too much trouble you could add an additional refinement, so that of the games in which it is your turn to move, the top game is the one in which you will time out the soonest.
IP Logged

naveed
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #110

« Reply #35 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 2:49pm »

It's Ok with me to reduce the time of the game.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #36 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 5:54pm »

I've reduced Naveed's reserve time in the game again thorin by 28 days.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #37 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 6:05pm »

on Mar 30th, 2006, 8:50pm, Fritzlein wrote:

If it isn't too much trouble you could add an additional refinement, so that of the games in which it is your turn to move, the top game is the one in which you will time out the soonest.

Good suggestion Karl. But this won't be as easy to add becase the gameroom doesn't have access to all the detailed parameters of the game except for the move number. The gameserver would have to post the reserve time info to the gameroom along with the move number in order to do this. But I will try to add this, since it will be very useful when the reserve times start to get low as the games progress.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #38 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 6:30pm »

Don't worry if it is too hard to order the game by most urgent move.  Isn't there already an automatic e-mail warning for a game in which you only have 24 hours left to move?

I think it's fair to reduce Naveed's reserve time, but just as important: you might want to also reduce the total game time for Naveed vs. Thorin by 28 days, so that the game can't extend into 2007 even if it goes many moves.  Right now it appears that it can still go 293 more days.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2006, 6:31pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #39 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 7:51am »

on Apr 1st, 2006, 6:30pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Isn't there already an automatic e-mail warning for a game in which you only have 24 hours left to move?

Speaking of, I remember receiving emails during the first few days of the tournament, notifying me at times when it was my turn.   That stopped happening after a while, however; I haven't received an "it's your turn against ...."  email in quite a while (and no, not just because I haven't moved in a week; they stopped long before that).

I hadn't though much of it, but I just checked and the email under my username is correct and active.  Is there a setting somwhere I might have changed?

IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #40 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 8:20am »

Quote:
That stopped happening after a while, however; I haven't received an "it's your turn against ...."  email in quite a while

my guess it happend during the server crash and some service got not restarted ...
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #41 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:59am »

Strange; Im still getting the move notification emails.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #42 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 4:24pm »

I haven't missed a single e-mail notification of my turn to move.  At times in the past, however, Yahoo has filed mail from arimaa.com in the spam folder until I told it not to.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #43 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 1:29pm »

Now that purplebaron has made move 2w in all his games, I can report on the changes in opening theory between the 2005 Postal Torunament and the 2006 Postal Torunament.  For the elephant file and rabbits forward I collapsed symmetrical categories so that, for example, someone who started with a single rabbit forward on the h-file is grouped with those who started with a single rabbit forward on the a-file.

For calculating symmetry and balance I treated the elephant and camel as identical.  A setup is symmetrical if it can be reflected about the midline without changing.  A setup is balanced if each side of the midline has four rabbits, one cat, one dog, one horse, and one camel/elephant.  

Elephant File20052006
d98.1%79.5%
c13.7%
b1.9%6.3%
a0.5%
Rabbits Forward20052006
none14.4%22.6%
a2.5%15.3%
c3.1%
ah55.6%56.3%
cf23.1%
ag0.5%
adh2.6%
abgh0.6%
acfh0.6%
adeh2.6%
Setup Balance20052006
Symmetrical56.9%50.5%
Balanced22.5%30.0%
Unbalanced20.6%19.5%
Gold Move 2w20052006
E up 468.8%26.3%
E up 3 over 111.3%11.6%
E up 3; X up 16.3%41.1%
E up 2; X,Y up 13.8%10.5%
E, X, Y, Z up 13.8%3.2%
Other6.3%7.4%

One stunning change I hadn't anticipated: in 2005 more than a quarter of setups had at least one rabbit behind a trap, but zero setups in 2006 did.

Developments I did expect include more decentralized elephants, more one-rabbit-forward setups, and fewer elephant-forward four moves on 2w.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #44 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 1:39pm »

Some completed games in the postal summary page list one more move than was actually made.  See blue22 vs. robinson, blue22 vs. OLTI, and RonWeasley vs. frostlad.  The number is different from that reported in completed games too.  This has the effect of giving the loser an extra point, but it's not fair because it doesn't happen everywhere.

This is probably something for Omar's list that will be important as more games are completed.  I predict the point standings will be very close among many of us, so this one point error source matters.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  7 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.