Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20172 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #15 on: Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, yes, Saturdays are doable, but I'm outta here from 14:00 GMT and wouldn't be back before 20:30. Which means I would need more help with the commentary.  

I'm quite happy to be the organizer, but I'd need somebody ready to take the mic from that point onwards. Even if it's Sunday I'm not staying up all night when I've got work on Monday, so for at least the last part of the American stint I'm gonna need a replacement. In addition to that we really want some backups to be able to cover if one of us loses our connection for any reason.

Also that would happen to coincide with 9/11. "Arimaa Online Festival: Sep 11th" might not look too good on an ad in the US. Perhaps the previous week?

In any case we can start rolling up our sleeves.

I've made a tentative schedule:

(All times are summer time. London is currently GMT+1. In case of any error, the GMT times are correct.)

PST   EST   GMT   CET   Brisbane, AUS
-7    -4    =     +2    +10
04:00 07:00 11:00 13:00 22:00 Launch
04:15 07:15 11:15 13:15 22:15 Simultaneous Match: Jean Daligault
06:00 08:00 13:00 15:00 00:00 European Collaborative Match
08:00 11:00 15:00 17:00 03:00 Blitz Tournament
14:00 17:00 21:00 23:00 09:00 Interview with Omar
14:45 17:45 21:45 23:45 09:45 Fritz's Workshop
15:45 18:45 22:30 00:30 10:30 American Collaborative Match
17:45 20:15 00:15 02:15 12:15 Simultaneous Match: Karl Juhnke
19:00 22:00 02:00 04:00 14:00 Close

(All comments are, as always, most welcome. For example, I've scheduled 6 hours for the Blitz tourney, will that be enough?)

Many thanks to Jean and Karl for being prepared to help out with all this. (@Fritz, do whatever you like with the workshop, I'm sure it'll be great. I've emailed Omar about this, setting up public plan windows seems a tuffie. How about using a dummy account with a second browser and challenging yourself to a postal?)

What we really need now is the following:

1. Commentators. We need both moderators and co-commentators. Please indicate at what times you will be available throughout the day. It doesn't matter if you're an expert or not, just having someone there with something to say is enough to create an atmosphere. Although having some of our seasoned veterans to help out will be very helpful indeed.

2. Publicity. Anybody with any graphics skills? I need a logo, and some banners that say  
"1st Arimaa Online Festival
Sep xx, 2010 @ arimaa.com"

Also, anybody with any ideas as to which forums or which websites we can post in? Who will be interested? Don't forget we'll be webcasting the whole thing like a radio station. Perhaps the interview could be a highlight for generating new interest.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions so far. Keep it coming!
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2010, 9:16pm by megajester » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:10am »

on Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:47am, megajester wrote:
Anybody with any graphics skills? I need a logo, and some banners

I'm more into drawings than graphics, but I'll try to put something together during the next days, unless a pro chimes in.
I'll sure do all I can to be there on the festival day, but my spoken English is too crappy to provide live comments. I can help with minor things though.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23rd, 2010, 7:53pm »

I'd love to see a bot developer "roundtable", but I probably wouldn't be able to participate myself if the festival lands on a Sunday.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:23pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:47am, megajester wrote:
do whatever you like with the workshop, I'm sure it'll be great. I've emailed Omar about this, setting up public plan windows seems a tuffie. How about using a dummy account with a second browser and challenging yourself to a postal?

It will be somewhat awkward playing out lines if I have to switch between two game windows depending on which side I am trying to make a move for, or take back a move for.  Furthermore, there is a known bug with nested takebacks in 0/0/0/0/0 learning games: you can get stuck in a branch and be unable to rewind to an earlier position.  I don't think the existing infrastructure is quite adequate to the task of giving a workshop.  We truly need a plan window that is visible to spectators.

I understand that there is a lot on Omar's plate, and that a technical solution might not be doable in the time available.  I rather like Janzert's suggestion of a developer roundtable.  That would make a good substitute for my schedule slot, and I would even be willing to act as moderator.  (Not to reserve a plum job for myself; there are others more qualified for that task than I am.)
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:26pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #19 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 4:19am »

This Festival seems very cool! If I'm not too busy with wrapping up my PhD, I'll definitely be present.

Also a suggestion: it would be very interesting to have two top players play against each other, while they themselves give live commentary on their thoughts. I read a similar suggestion a while back somewhere on the forum but then with one player giving commentary. If we work with multiple channels anyway, they both could do it, while others can switch between the two channels at will, and see for instance if at certain points both players believe they have an advantage Tongue  
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 7:09am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 4:19am, Harren wrote:
Also a suggestion: it would be very interesting to have two top players play against each other, while they themselves give live commentary on their thoughts. I read a similar suggestion a while back somewhere on the forum but then with one player giving commentary. If we work with multiple channels anyway, they both could do it, while others can switch between the two channels at will, and see for instance if at certain points both players believe they have an advantage Tongue  

Interesting.  I wonder if there would be a technical possibility for the spectators to hear both players without the players hearing each other.  I think the way it would work best would be for each player to speak only when it is not his own turn.  Then they never would talk over each other, and never be burdened with having to think and talk at the same time.  Whoever was on move could concentrate entirely on making a good move, and then chit-chat to pass the time when not on move.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 7:14am »

on Jun 23rd, 2010, 10:23pm, Fritzlein wrote:

It will be somewhat awkward playing out lines if I have to switch between two game windows depending on which side I am trying to make a move for, or take back a move for.  Furthermore, there is a known bug with nested takebacks in 0/0/0/0/0 learning games: you can get stuck in a branch and be unable to rewind to an earlier position.  I don't think the existing infrastructure is quite adequate to the task of giving a workshop.  We truly need a plan window that is visible to spectators.

I understand that there is a lot on Omar's plate, and that a technical solution might not be doable in the time available.  I rather like Janzert's suggestion of a developer roundtable.  That would make a good substitute for my schedule slot, and I would even be willing to act as moderator.  (Not to reserve a plum job for myself; there are others more qualified for that task than I am.)

I like the developers' roundtable as well. Maybe we can slot it in the middle of the day somewhere. As I'm sure you'll have noticed, there is a narrow window between when California wakes up and Europe goes to bed, most of which is eaten up by the blitz tourney...

How about this:

PST   EST   GMT   CET   Brisbane, AUS
-7    -4    =     +2    +10
03:00 06:00 10:00 12:00 21:00 Launch
03:15 06:15 10:15 12:15 21:15 Simultaneous Match: Jean Daligault
05:00 07:00 12:00 14:00 23:00 European Collaborative Match
07:00 10:00 14:00 16:00 02:00 Open Blitz Tournament
13:00 16:00 20:00 22:00 08:00 Interview with Omar Syed
14:00 17:00 21:00 23:00 09:00 Bot Developers' Roundtable
14:45 17:45 21:45 23:45 09:45 Karl's Strategy Workshop
15:45 18:45 22:30 00:30 10:30 American Collaborative Match
17:45 20:15 00:15 02:15 12:15 Simultaneous Match: Karl Juhnke
19:00 22:00 02:00 04:00 14:00 Close

For the workshop, if all else fails perhaps we could simply post a link to the game in the gameroom or somewhere, and you could ask the players to move forward or backward to whichever move you're commenting on.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 7:27am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 7:09am, Fritzlein wrote:

Interesting.  I wonder if there would be a technical possibility for the spectators to hear both players without the players hearing each other.  I think the way it would work best would be for each player to speak only when it is not his own turn.  Then they never would talk over each other, and never be burdened with having to think and talk at the same time.  Whoever was on move could concentrate entirely on making a good move, and then chit-chat to pass the time when not on move.

Hm, interesting. (For the moment I'm going to call this the Think Out Loud Match.)

It wouldn't be possible to prevent players from hearing each other, because we'll hopefully be broadcasting the whole thing live over the internet. But I think this could be an interesting format as a demonstration match.

As I said in my last post, we don't actually have a whole lot of time for events that we want everybody both sides of the Atlantic to benefit from. We're going to be having live commentary the whole time anyway. Adanac (Greg Mayne), for instance, is a very able commentator as you will remember from the WC. Having him on board for the collaborative matches I think would be just as instructive.
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #23 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:07am »

I think that's the only way it could work; otherwise, the audience is bound to be frustrated of more than half of what each player would say. I think that could be done if both players mute their teamspeak program while retaining the mike capability. That way they would be able to talk but not to hear what the other one is saying. I don’t know if it’s feasible without muting their speakers altogether, it shouldn’t be too hard to find out though.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #24 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:12am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 7:27am, megajester wrote:

...It wouldn't be possible to prevent players from hearing each other...

I think we can safely rely on the honor system on that one.  Wink
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #25 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:19am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 8:07am, Arimabuff wrote:
I think that could be done if both players mute their teamspeak program while retaining the mike capability. That way they would be able to talk but not to hear what the other one is saying.

This and this Smiley Great idea, I think it's much better than with two channels, not only everyone gets to hear all both players have to say, but it also gives better game quality since players can think without speaking on their move.

EDIT: actually, the speaking player would always get cut midsentence by his opponent's move. I think having a policy of the just-moved player waiting for his opponent to be finished with his chat would work as players can see with the teamspeak lights when someone else is already speaking.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2010, 9:22am by chessandgo » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #26 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:32am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 8:12am, Arimabuff wrote:

I think we can safely rely on the honor system on that one.  Wink

Of course we can. Sorry, that was my League Co-ordinator brain on autopilot.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:37am »

OK I'm sold on this one. Only problem now is where to fit in.

I think the Think Out Loud Match will be more instructive and more exciting than the workshop, so what do people think about having it instead of the workshop?
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #28 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:56am »

Or if there is a teamspeak admin present they can move the appropriate player in and out of the main channel when a move is made. This would allow some interaction with the player currently doing the speaking.

Janzert
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2010, 8:57am by Janzert » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 9:36am »

I'll be able to help out with commentary.

As for a workshop, I would think we could find a "netmeeting" type of software that would let Fritz (or anyone else) share a window on their computer for everyone to view.

As for "time" to fit everything in the schedule, can more than one event be scheduled for the same time?  I know that is how most festivals work, but also understand we might not have enough people to have two simultaneous events well attended.  (For example, how many developers would want to go to the developers round table and also be participating in the Blitz tournament?)
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.