Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 5:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20183 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #45 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 2:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It appears that "Close" is before the start off my simultaneous match.  I'm off the hook! Grin

The wiki table implies that only five slots are open in my simul.  I limited the opponent rating to 1900 specifically so that I could take on more opponents than that.  I guess I would cap it at twelve opponents, but only because of the difficulty of switching between games.  If the Arimaa game room had a feature that the ICC has, namely that a simul-giver is automatically switched to the game where he has the least remaining time on his clock, I would offer to play twenty games.  Alas, even at a mere twelve games much of my time and attention will be spent manually switching between windows and making sure I don't miss any.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2010, 5:42pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #46 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 9:35pm »

on Jun 28th, 2010, 11:10am, Janzert wrote:
Assuming I can make it and at this point it seems I should be able to, I would be willing to participate as either a panel member or moderator for the developer roundtable.

Also even though I'm the one that suggested it I've been thinking that the name might imply a little narrower focus for the discussion than I really wanted. A more appropriate name and description for what I would like to see is maybe:

State of the Challenge
A discussion on the current state and future prospects of computer play.

I think a panel between 3-5 people would be great and I expect it will be somewhat interactive with the audience as well.

Janzert

OK that's done. I'm not going to pretend I'm qualified to know what is worthy of discussion and what isn't. If you'd like to, I'd be very happy for you to determine who will be on the panel from among the applicants, and what topics will be debated.

@Fritz Oops! Sorted that one out now...
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #47 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:15am »

on Jun 28th, 2010, 2:23pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Alas, even at a mere twelve games much of my time and attention will be spent manually switching between windows and making sure I don't miss any.

A possible way to manage all the windows is to resize them all just big enough so that you can see all the opponent's timers at the top of each window. Or you can do that and then scroll them down so your timer is visible instead.

That should allow you to keep all the windows open and visible, when you want to make a move you just have to restore it to the usual size, then make it small again after you move.

It's not optimal, but it's surely much better than to keep switching windows...
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:21am by rbarreira » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #48 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:31pm »

What time controls would you like for the Simul games? The euro collaborative match is currently scheduled 1h 45mn after the start of the simul. If we want no overlap, I guess we can use the 45 sec/move or 1mn/move. Or if overlap is not a problem we can play up to 2mn per move I guess. I have no idea how many games I can play, but it will heavily change depending on whether the 45 sec or 2mn time control is chosen Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #49 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 12:47pm »

Btw, I'm available too for the think out loud match, but I'm also willing to step aside if Adanac or someone else wants to play it. As mentioned before Greg is a great commentator Smiley

And, unless I've missed something, the specifics of the collaborative games have not been discussed. If I understand correctly, the team discussion will be vocal, with a captain who actually plays the move elected by the team. Once again, do you we go for no-overlap with the TOL match? If so, that's 6h30 available, so maybe something like a 6mn/move game? Even longer if we don't mind this game extending through the day, like 10mn/move?

I'm a little concerned; on the one hand discussing the position, selecting some candidate moves and having a rough vote to elect the move to play might be really long, not easy to fit in a 5 mn window. On the other hand, since the game is going to last for a long time, players will drop in and out, and I fear there might be some periods during which some team gets very severly depleted, especially since the blitz tourney runs concurrently.

Or would this event be intended not to overlap the blitz tourney, just a 2hour game with regular time controls? I'm even more worried, since discussing moves is really complicated, when even naming a move and getting understood by others is highly non-easy/lengthy.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #50 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 1:17pm »

Thanks a lot Jean for all your support. I'd like to see how many others are available before we divvy it all out.

As a general rule, none of the events should clash with any other. I've tried to plan them so that one should end with enough breathing space before the next.

With the collaborative games... What I had imagined was that the captain would ultimately be in the driving seat and the others would be more like advisors. Because as you rightly point out, a truly democratic way of doing things would take waaay too long.

Looking at the schedule I think it would have to be a 2 mins/move time control. I had imagined it would be enough time for the captain to say "I'm thinking of going for this" and the others to say "Yeah looks good" or "I think you should do this other thing instead" or "You want to be putting that piece there, not where you said."

What do you think people, is this realistic? Maybe if we keep the teams small?
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #51 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:50pm »

This game day would be amazing. Unfortunately we have a lot of birthday celebrations during september so I could participate with probability approaching zero.  

I hope both teams would do recording during the collaborative game. It may be exciting to hear the conversation even afterwards.

Simul game on 8 boards with 1m per move would be just a bit faster than lightning speed for the performer. It must be played agressively to finish some games early enough to slow down the average ... good luck c&g.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2010, 2:50pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #52 on: Jun 29th, 2010, 4:45pm »

I was imagining playing my simul at 0/0/0/0/0 time control and just moving as fast as I can, at least equivalent to blitz speed.  My experience is that most of the players themselves move promptly without being clocked. I guess it is lucky for me that my event is last so I don't have to worry about when it finishes; stragglers have only themselves to blame for being slow, and if I have to finish off a couple games at slow speeds at the end, it is their funeral for delaying until I had attention to spare for them.

If it were clocked, I would want to have 15 seconds/move/participant to make it through the early stages without losing on time, but once most of the games are under control or easily won, with just a few where I am in trouble, that time control would be far more than necessary.  Maybe the way to address that is to start with a smaller-than-necessary increment but with a large block of time.  I would be interested to see chessandgo experiment with something like 60 min/game plus 5 sec/move, with the intention of forcing stragglers to finish up but also with the hope that it would be enough time for the simul-giver to not lose games on time.
IP Logged

rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

« Reply #53 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:31am »

This is a great news..... I have some thoughts on this...

1) Festival must be more than one day (Sat, Sun) or any holiday.(or something like Last week end of a month)
2) Try to sync with timezones... so many can attend.  Or festivals based on continuations (Not sure how to bring in life but just a thought )
3) If we follow Point 1 we can split event in (Beginners,novice, expert or beginners and expert ) one for a day (so we can cover all levels)
4) Entry form for joining  (so we can know who and how many people can join with there levels )

We need to encourage blogger post on the game, game play, experience etc.  

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:32am by rajmahendra » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #54 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 10:34am »

on Jul 29th, 2010, 8:31am, rajmahendra wrote:
This is a great news..... I have some thoughts on this...

1) Festival must be more than one day (Sat, Sun) or any holiday.(or something like Last week end of a month)
2) Try to sync with timezones... so many can attend.  Or festivals based on continuations (Not sure how to bring in life but just a thought )
3) If we follow Point 1 we can split event in (Beginners,novice, expert or beginners and expert ) one for a day (so we can cover all levels)
4) Entry form for joining  (so we can know who and how many people can join with there levels )

We need to encourage blogger post on the game, game play, experience etc.  

Hiya, thanks for dropping in.

1) Well ideally yes, but I won't be around to organize any more than one day. In any case, we've never done this before so we can only make an educated guess as to how much participation we'll get. It's probably best to not to bite off more than we're sure we can chew.
2) Come back when you've read the rest of this thread and then we'll talk.
3) Again, until we're sure of the level of participation...
4) OK, I'll see what I can do about that...

And yes, we want as much publicity as we can get. I hadn't thought about contacting bloggers, do you have any in mind?
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 10:42am by megajester » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #55 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 11:17am »

I finally mustered the strength to venture into the intricacies of Inkscape, and here is a first draft of a banner for the festival. No style and no picture for now, just food for thought and discussion about layout and composition. If anybody wants the Inkscape SVG source to fiddle with please let me know. I'll keep adding to it in the next days.

EDIT: The PNG export is slightly screwed up...

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 11:51am by leo » IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #56 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 12:07pm »

Thanks Leo! All the best with Inkscape...

I think it would be nice to have a logo. What if we reused the "elephant" concept, but have a different take...

What if you made an outline of an elephant front-on, a bit like this

but make it minimalist, in this kind of style

Though for a web banner perhaps we could have "Arimaa Online Festival" superimposed over the elephant logo, both centered, and the date "2010.09.11" or "September 11, 2010" in smaller letters underneath...

...what do you think?
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #57 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 12:32pm »

Yes, a logo is a must have. Would something of that kind do? It's an awful draft but I hope you get the feeling of it. I'll attempt vector logos with a reduced palette this week end according to the ideas that pour into the thread ^^

I'll try the layout you suggest with superimposed letters.

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 12:33pm by leo » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #58 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 6:54pm »

I like the draft, leo.  It would be sweet if the Arimaa Festival had its own logo.  Not necessary, but a lot of fun. Smiley
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #59 on: Jul 30th, 2010, 8:28am »

That's cool. I think something like this would be great.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.