Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 3:52pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20174 times)
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #30 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 24th, 2010, 8:56am, Janzert wrote:
Or if there is a teamspeak admin present they can move the appropriate player in and out of the main channel when a move is made. This would allow some interaction with the player currently doing the speaking.

Janzert

That would be some tedious repetitive work... plus the admin may be forced to take a break once in a while which would mess up everything. I think the less human intervention there is the better...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 1:34pm »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 9:36am, Nombril wrote:
As for a workshop, I would think we could find a "netmeeting" type of software that would let Fritz (or anyone else) share a window on their computer for everyone to view.

Now there's a good idea, if feasible.  I could then just have a plan window on my computer.  Does that sort of thing usually require a server, and if so is there a free (Linux-based) netmeeting server Omar could install on Arimaa.com?

Absent a technical solution for broadcasting a plan window, my solution for how to finesse the schedule is to lose the workshop and put some other event in its place.  I expect we should prioritize and make the best events with can think of go as well as possible, rather than try to cram in as many events as we can think of.  I could be underestimating potential turnout, but two things going on at once seems very ambitious.  Indeed, even having two full teams in a game that is too early for America or too late for Europe seems ambitious.  Those events would be lower in my priority list than "think out loud" games.  But perhaps a live team game is an idea near and dear to the hearts of some.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2010, 1:40pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #32 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 7:41am »

there are mikogo type of software (mikogo works fine for 2 persons but maybe not for many??).
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 8:51am »

OK, trying to slot all this in leads me to the question...

How long does a blitz tournament take to play? Per round?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 1:12pm »

on Jun 25th, 2010, 8:51am, megajester wrote:
How long does a blitz tournament take to play? Per round?

I would schedule it for 40 minutes per round with no break.  Most players will finish early and have ten minutes between each round to use the toilet and grab a sandwich, but players of long games would have to play back-to-back.  The TD would have to keep hopping between rounds, and the players would have to be cooperative (e.g. no 15-minute grace for starting rounds like in the WC; maybe instead a 2-minute grace before forfeit).  So, a six-round tournament would take four hours.

One important feature will be allowing late joins and dropouts.  We want to encourage people who are leaving to officially drop out, so that they don't get paired one last time, thereby depriving an opponent of a game.  We also want to encourage people to swing by any time and play a few even if they can't make a four-hour commitment.

Some blitz fanatics might argue for more than six rounds, but with a plethora of good events vying for schedule time, I would argue against letting blitz squeeze out other events.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 2:42am »

on Jun 25th, 2010, 1:12pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I would schedule it for 40 minutes per round with no break.  Most players will finish early and have ten minutes between each round to use the toilet and grab a sandwich, but players of long games would have to play back-to-back.  The TD would have to keep hopping between rounds, and the players would have to be cooperative (e.g. no 15-minute grace for starting rounds like in the WC; maybe instead a 2-minute grace before forfeit).  So, a six-round tournament would take four hours.

One important feature will be allowing late joins and dropouts.  We want to encourage people who are leaving to officially drop out, so that they don't get paired one last time, thereby depriving an opponent of a game.  We also want to encourage people to swing by any time and play a few even if they can't make a four-hour commitment.

Some blitz fanatics might argue for more than six rounds, but with a plethora of good events vying for schedule time, I would argue against letting blitz squeeze out other events.

Great, six rounds at 40 minutes each, adding another 5 minutes of leeway each round just for good measure, works out at 4 and a half hours. Excellent.

New schedule:

PST   EST   GMT   CET   Brisbane, AUS
-7    -4    =     +2    +10
03:00 06:00 10:00 12:00 20:00 Launch
03:15 06:15 10:15 12:15 20:15 Simultaneous Match: Jean Daligault
05:00 08:00 12:00 14:00 22:00 European Collaborative Match
07:00 10:00 14:00 16:00 00:00 Open Blitz Tournament
11:30 14:30 18:30 20:30 04:30 'Think Out Loud' Match
13:00 16:00 20:00 22:00 06:00 Interview with Omar Syed
14:00 17:00 21:00 23:00 07:00 Bot Developers' Roundtable
15:30 18:30 22:30 00:30 08:30 Karl's Strategy Workshop
17:15 20:15 00:15 02:15 10:15 American Collaborative Match
21:00 00:00 04:00 06:00 14:00 Simultaneous Match: Karl Juhnke
19:00 22:00 02:00 04:00 12:00 Close

IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #36 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 6:43am »

Wow, this is coming along very nicely. Lots of good ideas and the event is starting to sound very exciting.

Maybe a wiki page for the event would be a good place to capture the things that have been decided on.

Also, I can send out a message to all the users to let them know about the Festival (once things are more settled). So, let me know when you want me to do that.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #37 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 5:07pm »

Who did you have in mind for the "Think Out Loud" match?  I am willing.  It's clear that I'm going to want to do everything, but I will have to pace myself somewhat.  Maybe I can skip Omar's interview, since I already know everything he has to say, and skip the American Collaborative match.  I do want to listen in on the developers, though.  So that would leave me with five events:

Open Blitz Tournament  
'Think Out Loud' Match  
Bot Developers' Roundtable  
Fritz's Strategy Workshop  
Simultaneous Match: Fritz Juhnke  

What a day full of Arimaa!

By the way, I also prefer Saturday to Sunday.  In order to respect the victims and heroes of 9/11, we could have a moment of silence and/or remembrances before the beginning of the Blitz tournament (approximately the time of the attacks).
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2010, 10:50pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #38 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 3:31am »

Would bots also be able to play in the blitz tournament?
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #39 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 6:24am »

on Jun 27th, 2010, 3:31am, rbarreira wrote:
Would bots also be able to play in the blitz tournament?

I think it'd be prudent to take the bots off line for the duration of the festival. If there are more people in the room, it is most likely that a part of them will be playing the bots and that could create an overload...

I believe it's happened before.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #40 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 6:53am »

on Jun 27th, 2010, 6:24am, Arimabuff wrote:

I think it'd be prudent to take the bots off line for the duration of the festival. If there are more people in the room, it is most likely that a part of them will be playing the bots and that could create an overload...

I believe it's happened before.

I meant bots running on the bot's developer machine, entering the tournament just like the human players.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #41 on: Jun 27th, 2010, 10:56am »

on Jun 27th, 2010, 6:53am, rbarreira wrote:

I meant bots running on the bot's developer machine, entering the tournament just like the human players.

In that case then I don't see why not.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 10:26am »

OK I've set up a page on the wiki, but I'm going to need everybody's help to flesh it out. Click here.

I do apologize if I've forgotten anybody's suggestions or to add the names of those who've indicated they'll be willing to participate. I will be going back over the thread to check, but please still tell me if I've missed anything.

If you have any suggestions, or you'd be willing to put your name forward for any of the roles, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.
IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #43 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 11:10am »

Assuming I can make it and at this point it seems I should be able to, I would be willing to participate as either a panel member or moderator for the developer roundtable.

Also even though I'm the one that suggested it I've been thinking that the name might imply a little narrower focus for the discussion than I really wanted. A more appropriate name and description for what I would like to see is maybe:

State of the Challenge
A discussion on the current state and future prospects of computer play.

I think a panel between 3-5 people would be great and I expect it will be somewhat interactive with the audience as well.

Janzert
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #44 on: Jun 28th, 2010, 11:31am »

This page might be handy for people in different timezones. This is the time at which the event starts:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=11&month=9& amp;year=2010&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

It's set to the correct date so it should take care of things like daylight savings time adjustments, etc.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2010, 11:32am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.