Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 11:44am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20188 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #150 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yay! The power company restored power sooner than expected so I'm back on for tomorrow's panel discussion. It would probably be a good idea if someone can still step forward as an alternate moderator though just in case they decide to take it away again. Smiley

Janzert
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #151 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 1:56pm »

If things are not set up yet I think it might be slightly better that we get all gold instead of all silver in the Simuls. Before the game, I'll need some time to resize windows and move them around to fit in the screen(s), so it'll be easier if I get to start the game when ready. All siver is fine as well though.

Nombril, I don't think that'd work, it seems much easier to me if people play whenever they're ready. We won't be cycling through the games, just playing on first come first serve basis (or first come random serve when there's too much action ^^) I think.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 1:56pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #152 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 2:46pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 11:41am, rbarreira wrote:
The button that Nombril mentioned is in the Teamspeak toolbar - mute speaker. It mutes the sound from teamspeak only, so players can still hear sounds from the game client.

Perfect, thanks!
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #153 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 2:55pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 1:56pm, chessandgo wrote:
If things are not set up yet I think it might be slightly better that we get all gold instead of all silver in the Simuls. Before the game, I'll need some time to resize windows and move them around to fit in the screen(s), so it'll be easier if I get to start the game when ready. All siver is fine as well though.

It's fine if you get all Gold and I get all Silver.  Also I'm glad that we will experiment with different choices of time control to see which works better for a simul, so that we will have guidance for fall 2011 when we do this again.  Wink
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #154 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 3:12pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 2:55pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Also I'm glad that we will experiment with different choices of time control to see which works better for a simul, so that we will have guidance for fall 2011 when we do this again.  Wink

+1 for experimenting

But if the event will be annual, wouldn't it be better if there was a client with support for simul where you could have only one window with automatic game cycling Wink (with possibility to switch to specific game manually). Maybe people would be interested in simuls even much more frequently.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 3:14pm by clojure » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #155 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 3:16pm »

You may have to update your version of Teamspeak if you haven't used it for a while. (some not-so-old versions can't connect to the server already)

I'm doing it right now so that I don't have to update in a hurry tomorrow.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #156 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 3:51pm »

"The button that Nombril mentioned is in the Teamspeak toolbar - mute speaker. It mutes the sound from teamspeak only, so players can still hear sounds from the game client. "

Cool, that's convenient!
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #157 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 3:54pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 3:12pm, clojure wrote:

+1 for experimenting

But if the event will be annual, wouldn't it be better if there was a client with support for simul where you could have only one window with automatic game cycling Wink (with possibility to switch to specific game manually). Maybe people would be interested in simuls even much more frequently.

it would be convenient indeed. Poker room clients allow to do this, with the active tables in a queue, with just the first one popping until you've played and then the second one pops up, etc. But I guess there are more crucial things for the arimaa community that should go first Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #158 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 4:13pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 3:16pm, rbarreira wrote:
You may have to update your version of Teamspeak if you haven't used it for a while. (some not-so-old versions can't connect to the server already)

Yep, good idea. I've been able to connect for a few seconds and saw Omar, but got disconnected and can't reconnect. I hope it's just temporary (or me doing something wrong ^^).

EDIT: ok, seems to be working now. Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 4:18pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #159 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 5:15pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 3:12pm, clojure wrote:

Yes, such a interface would be great for simuls.  The Internet Chess Club has such an interface that takes the simul-giver to the game where he is on move with the least time on his clock, because the tradition there is for simuls to be timed rather than untimed.

However useful that interface would be in the event of a simul, I am not agitating for it to be created, because I wouldn't give many simuls even if it existed.  The greatest demand for it would be from players wanting to play lots of bots at the same time, which is problematic in its own right given our limited server resources.  I am very content if your development efforts for now focus on the analysis tool instead, because I expect there is a greater user base for it.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #160 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 5:28pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 3:16pm, rbarreira wrote:

I installed the latest client.  As a bonus Omar was hanging out in chat so I got to verify that it works, and that the mute speakers button works.  Thanks for the heads up!
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #161 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 5:31pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 5:15pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I am not agitating for it to be created, because I wouldn't give many simuls even if it existed. The greatest demand for it would be from players wanting to play lots of bots at the same time, which is problematic in its own right given our limited server resources.

Thanks for sharing this. Actually now that I think about it, I should put up some kind of feature voting system. Especially "negative votes" with explanation would truly make a difference since I'm not familiar enough yet with analysing board games.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #162 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:17pm »

I tried talking at the studio room and couldn't hear my voice back in the Arimaa Radio, but maybe that's just because the streaming's not enabled yet?

Also, it seems that while Janzert's electricity is back, my ADSL connection is not working. Hopefully it will be working by tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to use my cellphone to connect during the festival, as I'm doing now.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:20pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #163 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:19pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 6:17pm, rbarreira wrote:
I tried talking at the studio room and couldn't hear my voice back in the Arimaa Radio, but maybe that's just because the streaming's not enabled yet?

Correct, Omar's gonna set it up on the day.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #164 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:53pm »

I scheduled as many of the games as I can.

For the simul Jean and Karl can resign out of games on the first move if they don't want to play a particular game and I can try to setup a replacement game at the time based on who is available.

For the Open 5-Round Blitz Tournament, Joel thought that new players would be able to drop out or join in the middle of the tournament. I don't think our swiss pairing program supports that, so I might have to setup all the games as if all the players are there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.