Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20181 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #135 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 10:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:56pm, ocmiente wrote:

When there is only one game left, this might not work very well.  Can you add some lower bound on the time to move?  When it's just down to Jean or Fritz and one other player, what should the time controls be?

Good question. I guess when there is only 1 player left use about 1 minute per move.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #136 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 10:37pm »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 11:51am, megajester wrote:

OK I've done them all except for chess.com, which seemed to be having problems with its server, and Little Golem, which told me I wasn't "enough trustworthy".

Cool. I've posted about the AOF on my Facebook and LinkedIn account and also to the Arimaa group on these sites.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #137 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 11:16pm »

Janzert notified us that he will not be able to be online Saturday due to a severe power failure in his area. We need your help to fill in his roles:

* Moderate the State of the Challenge discussion.
* Gold Captain for the American Collaborative Match
* Commentator for the Simul with Karl

If you can help with any of these please send an email to arimaaonlinefestival@gmail.com. Thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #138 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 11:21pm »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 11:16pm, omar wrote:
* Commentator for the Simul with Karl

I nominate Nombril (so that I don't have to play against him)  Grin
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #139 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:00am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:21pm, omar wrote:
* Simul Match with Karl Juhnke; 2h time for the event. Unrated games with time control of 0/0/0/0/2h; Karl will cycle through the games and when he comes to your game you must have already submitted you move; watch the game before your to get a cue of when to submit your move.

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:56pm, ocmiente wrote:
When there is only one game left, this might not work very well.  Can you add some lower bound on the time to move?  When it's just down to Jean or Fritz and one other player, what should the time controls be?

In OTB simuls the convention is to move exactly when the simul-giver arrives at the table.  Not before (so he can see the move made) and not after (so he can keep moving around the tables.  While that is an excellent convention OTB, I simply don't think that we can enforce it for an Internet simul.  Even the suggestion of watching for me to move on the game "before" mine is unworkable without a gameroom tool that lets me cycle through games in order; with no such tool there is no guarantee what order I will approach the games.

In this case, letting me see the move is not important, because I can click the "show" button whenever I come to a board for an instant replay.  Also, if no move has been made, there is no difficulty for me to move on; I won't have to crisscross the playing hall on foot to find a game where it is my turn.  Therefore I conclude that the conventions of when the simul participants should move is as unnecessary as it is infeasible.

My proposal is to let the simul participants move whenever they feel like it at all stages of the game.  However, it will be awkward if any games are decided on score after two full hours, either because I am slow or because simul participants are slow, so maybe some time control is better after all.  The best solution I can think of to prevent me from timing out in every game early but also to stop the last few games from dragging on late is a large initial time bank with a fast increment.  How does 15s/45m/100/0/2h sound?  The only thing that could go really wrong is if I lose lots of games by timeout, but if that happens we will have learned for next year, and also everyone will have gotten to play me for at least an hour or so.

Incidentally, have we decided whether I will play Gold or Silver?  Whichever way, I will be less confused if I get the same color in every game.  Perhaps I can just decree what I want on this score: let me have Silver in every game.

I am still holding out hope that there will be "walk-ons", i.e. lots of interested noobs who show up and want to play.  If that happens I reserve the right to boot off the highest-rated player(s), starting with Nombril, but if nobody else shows up the roster of  student_t_w, weirdo87, nombril, clojure, camelback, and ocmiente is fine.  Maybe Omar can help estimate how many walk-ons there are as the game time approaches.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #140 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:06am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:21pm, omar wrote:
* Think Out Loud Match; 1h30m for the event. Rated game with time control of 60s/60s/100/0/1h25m/3m

Did we ever arrive at a Teamspeak technical solution for this event?  It would be a hassle for me to have to do something every move (e.g. mute/unmute, or log in/out, or enter/leave a chat room).  Ideally I would just have my headset on and the "push-to-talk" set so that when it isn't my move I can simply push and start talking.

My hazy recollection is that we were going to have a chat room for me and a separate chat room for chessandgo, but then wouldn't that mean that everyone else had to switch between rooms on every move?  Or is there some setting whereby I can have talking privileges and no listening privileges?  Or was the idea that I would be on my honor to turn my volume down and not listen in on chessandgo's thoughts even though I could do so?  That would have the disadvantage of preventing me from hearing the clock tick if I am low on time.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:08am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #141 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 1:42am »

Regarding the collaborative games:
Are we going to have a way to share a view of the captain's board to see a move before it is 'Sent', or are we relying on using a spoken description of planned moves?  (I hesitate to add another software layer without testing, so am leaning towards just the spoken word...but thought I should put this out there in case there was an easy solution...)

Omar - the collaborative games shouldn't be scheduled as Event games - otherwise the teammates will be a few moves behind!

For the simul:  If we want to reflect the in-person feel of the event, you could type "Hi" or something into the chat, and give the person a few seconds to make their move.  Since they can't "see" you coming, they could say pass if they want more time.  (Knowing that they are going to get your full attention soon if they drag their heels too much!)  If you tab through the windows, you should keep hitting the games in the same order.  {15s/45m/100/0/2h sounds reasonable too - though would it cause a time problem for you if one of the players actually moved at Blitz speed?}

on Oct 28th, 2010, 11:21pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I nominate Nombril (so that I don't have to play against him)  Grin
Tongue
I'm not sure my voice will last through the American Collaborative and also Fritz's simul.  If someone is able to commentate the American Collaborative, then I can talk during the simul.  If I try to do both, it would help to have very active co-commentators!

on Oct 29th, 2010, 12:06am, Fritzlein wrote:
Or was the idea that I would be on my honor to turn my volume down and not listen in on chessandgo's thoughts even though I could do so?  That would have the disadvantage of preventing me from hearing the clock tick if I am low on time.

That is my recollection.  I saw a "mute speaker" button in Teamspeak, I didn't test it, but expect you and Jean could use that and still hear that innocent sound that causes so much panic.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 7:09am by Nombril » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #142 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 7:30am »

The Arimaa Radio thing is new, right? Will it be broadcasting the teamspeak audio automatically?

edit - also, it seems many people still haven't confirmed their presence at the events (at least according to the wiki).
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 7:35am by rbarreira » IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #143 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 9:33am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 7:30am, rbarreira wrote:
The Arimaa Radio thing is new, right? Will it be broadcasting the teamspeak audio automatically?
Yes - Omar has it set up to broadcast the Teamspeak channel, so no extra software installation is required to listen in.  We tested it once last month, it seemed to work well.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #144 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:28am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 12:00am, Fritzlein wrote:

In OTB simuls the convention is to move exactly when the simul-giver arrives at the table.  Not before (so he can see the move made) and not after (so he can keep moving around the tables.  While that is an excellent convention OTB, I simply don't think that we can enforce it for an Internet simul.  Even the suggestion of watching for me to move on the game "before" mine is unworkable without a gameroom tool that lets me cycle through games in order; with no such tool there is no guarantee what order I will approach the games.

In this case, letting me see the move is not important, because I can click the "show" button whenever I come to a board for an instant replay.  Also, if no move has been made, there is no difficulty for me to move on; I won't have to crisscross the playing hall on foot to find a game where it is my turn.  Therefore I conclude that the conventions of when the simul participants should move is as unnecessary as it is infeasible.

My proposal is to let the simul participants move whenever they feel like it at all stages of the game.  However, it will be awkward if any games are decided on score after two full hours, either because I am slow or because simul participants are slow, so maybe some time control is better after all.  The best solution I can think of to prevent me from timing out in every game early but also to stop the last few games from dragging on late is a large initial time bank with a fast increment.  How does 15s/45m/100/0/2h sound?  The only thing that could go really wrong is if I lose lots of games by timeout, but if that happens we will have learned for next year, and also everyone will have gotten to play me for at least an hour or so.

Incidentally, have we decided whether I will play Gold or Silver?  Whichever way, I will be less confused if I get the same color in every game.  Perhaps I can just decree what I want on this score: let me have Silver in every game.

I am still holding out hope that there will be "walk-ons", i.e. lots of interested noobs who show up and want to play.  If that happens I reserve the right to boot off the highest-rated player(s), starting with Nombril, but if nobody else shows up the roster of  student_t_w, weirdo87, nombril, clojure, camelback, and ocmiente is fine.  Maybe Omar can help estimate how many walk-ons there are as the game time approaches.

Sounds good. I'll set up the time controls for 15s/45m/100/0/2h for your game and G=1h40m for Jean's game since he has less time allocated. I'll setup all the games as unrated and with you and Jean playing silver.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #145 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:32am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 12:06am, Fritzlein wrote:

Did we ever arrive at a Teamspeak technical solution for this event?  It would be a hassle for me to have to do something every move (e.g. mute/unmute, or log in/out, or enter/leave a chat room).  Ideally I would just have my headset on and the "push-to-talk" set so that when it isn't my move I can simply push and start talking.

My hazy recollection is that we were going to have a chat room for me and a separate chat room for chessandgo, but then wouldn't that mean that everyone else had to switch between rooms on every move?  Or is there some setting whereby I can have talking privileges and no listening privileges?  Or was the idea that I would be on my honor to turn my volume down and not listen in on chessandgo's thoughts even though I could do so?  That would have the disadvantage of preventing me from hearing the clock tick if I am low on time.

I talked to Joel about this and we decided that both players will be in the 'Studio' room, but have their speakers turned off and will push to talk when it isn't their turn. Keep an eye on the 'Studio' chat window in case we need to tell you something.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #146 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:41am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 11:32am, omar wrote:

I talked to Joel about this and we decided that both players will be in the 'Studio' room, but have their speakers turned off and will push to talk when it isn't their turn. Keep an eye on the 'Studio' chat window in case we need to tell you something.

The button that Nombril mentioned is in the Teamspeak toolbar - mute speaker. It mutes the sound from teamspeak only, so players can still hear sounds from the game client.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #147 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:46am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 1:42am, Nombril wrote:
Regarding the collaborative games:
Are we going to have a way to share a view of the captain's board to see a move before it is 'Sent', or are we relying on using a spoken description of planned moves?  (I hesitate to add another software layer without testing, so am leaning towards just the spoken word...but thought I should put this out there in case there was an easy solution...)

Nope, the team with just have to discuss it verbally.  

Quote:

Omar - the collaborative games shouldn't be scheduled as Event games - otherwise the teammates will be a few moves behind!

Yes, it will not be delayed since it is an unrated game. Commentators for the Simul and collaborative games will have to remember not to give any move suggestions since these games will also be unrated and not delayed.

Quote:

For the simul:  If we want to reflect the in-person feel of the event, you could type "Hi" or something into the chat, and give the person a few seconds to make their move.  Since they can't "see" you coming, they could say pass if they want more time.  (Knowing that they are going to get your full attention soon if they drag their heels too much!)  If you tab through the windows, you should keep hitting the games in the same order.  {15s/45m/100/0/2h sounds reasonable too - though would it cause a time problem for you if one of the players actually moved at Blitz speed?}

Good ideas.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:24pm by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #148 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:53am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 7:30am, rbarreira wrote:

edit - also, it seems many people still haven't confirmed their presence at the events (at least according to the wiki).

The 'Studio' room of TS will be relaying to the Radio page. The other rooms are not on the air (or should we say web). In particular the 'Lobby' is meant as a place where people can join together for voice chat.

There might be times when the commentator asks a player or someone else to join the Studio, so please have TS setup and ready even if you are not a commentator.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #149 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:04pm »

I think Joel's posting on chess.com didn't go through. Probably the banner and link was considered too advertisingish. I posted something which hopefully will be OK with the mods.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess960-chess-variants/chess-variant-wi th-most-possible-moves-per-turn

If you every wanted to beat the drum about Arimaa this is the time to do it Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.