Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Going Global »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Going Global
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Going Global  (Read 18316 times)
Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

Re: Going Global
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 7:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wonder if I should do a Spanish version or if the one with Spanish audio is enough?

on Jan 27th, 2011, 5:20pm, Hippo wrote:
Where could we watch the video with czech subtitles?

You can watch the video here
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #31 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 12:25am »

Hopefully Omar will be able to write a bit of code for the embedded video on the homepage that will force subtitles to open when you click on that language.

Eltripas, if you want you can prepare the Spanish subtitles and I will upload them to both the Spanish and English videos.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #32 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 3:53am »

megajester sorry for letting you update it once again ...
... I have watched the czech subtitled version and I have changed spreadsheet in four places.
We use word pull for general moves in desk games.
That lead to may be confusing ... "although rabbit's owner could not pull it back" rather to "step it back".

The subtitle FREEZING should be probably fully in uppercase.

Repetition had long subtitles split on two lines. I have changed them also.

"appeared" moved to next row

and finally

"mostly it only DENYES repeat undoing moves"

That's all, thanks for cooperation Smiley

Oh 2 more changes ... STRONGEST ... WEAKEST in spreadsheet, STRONGEST ... TO WEAKEST on video
I have changed to FROM STRONGEST ... TO WEAKEST in spreadshhet (in CZECH version)

And I hope the last ... line split at silver reacting on initial gold setup

One more
... LEFT, RIGHT, BACK FORWARD -> does not correstpond to video subtitles
... LEFT, RIGHT, FORWARD OR BACK

---------------
It's all from me now.

The vidoe subtitles does not correspond with the spreadsheet's in general in the two cases ... "to WEAKEST" and the step order ... so it may confuse other translators as well.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2011, 4:32am by Hippo » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #33 on: Jan 28th, 2011, 5:34am »

Czech subtitles updated.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #34 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 5:55am »

I remember a discussion years ago about how cool it would be to multilang the site -- and how difficult it would be to keep it up to date through upgrades and changes Cheesy

I sure can help with French translation, I'll start with the intro video I suppose. The fr wikipedia article should be updated too, it was left as I translated it years ago. (How lazy are the other French speakers, eh!)

Are there any tools I need for the subtitles, or do I just read them and translate on a text file?
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #35 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:48am »

on Feb 3rd, 2011, 5:55am, leo wrote:

Are there any tools I need for the subtitles, or do I just read them and translate on a text file?

on Jan 24th, 2011, 2:24pm, megajester wrote:

EDIT: I have set up a Google spreadsheet for anyone who wants to create subtitles in their language for the video. The way it works is, you copy the Template column into a blank column and then write over the top of the English. Of course, let me know if you'll be starting in your language. You may also find these translation tips useful. PS: Ricardo, the Portuguese column is already prepared...

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:49am by Hippo » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #36 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 5:13am »

Ha, thank you Hippo! I feel stupid for not having seen that.
Spreadsheet powah.

Edit: I've started translating the french column but when I want to close the window I'm always told the changes will be lost. They aren't though when I come back to the page. To be safer maybe I should work on a downloaded version, hoping I can paste from it to the web app later.

Edit 2:

I've finished the rough french translation. Proofreaders are welcome.

Is it ok to translate "Friends don't let friends get frozen" by "Friends keep each other warm"
and "Friends don't let friends get captured" by "Friends don't let each other down"
which appeared lighter in French and probably clear enough in the context - but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2011, 7:05am by leo » IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #37 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 7:17am »

on Feb 4th, 2011, 5:13am, leo wrote:

Is it ok to translate "Friends don't let friends get frozen" by "Friends keep each other warm"
and "Friends don't let friends get captured" by "Friends don't let each other down"
which appeared lighter in French and probably clear enough in the context - but I'm not sure.

If it sounds best in French ... why not.
I have used fetter rather than frozen in czech translation so warming would be confusing there Smiley.
I am not sure if I used "die" or "capture".
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011, 6:03am by Hippo » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #38 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 9:35am »

on Feb 4th, 2011, 5:13am, leo wrote:

I expect a literal translation is not best.  The English is a little weird because it is a play on "Friends don't let friends drive drunk," which was an advertising campaign to reduce drunk driving in the United States.  If it weren't for that cultural reference, I would have written the script differently in the first place.  But since the cultural reference can't be translated at all, the actual text probably shouldn't be literally translated either.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #39 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 9:54am »

The profession commonly known as "translation" basically consists of making these kinds of decisions all day for a living. (Why do you think I keep banging on about the uselessness of Google Translate Smiley ).

One instructor we had told us to think of translation as repacking books from a wide, shallow box into a tall, narrow one. You MUST fit all the books in, in this sense you are restricted. But you are COMPLETELY FREE to place the books in whatever position you like. It doesn't matter which one's on top, which one's at the bottom, where they were in the first box, so long as they all fit.

The books represent the "content", both the thoughts contained in and the emotions and impressions created by the text. These MUST be included in the translation at all costs!

The positioning of the books represents the "form", the specific words, sentences, expressions and structures used and their sequencing. You are COMPLETELY FREE to make changes to these things to achieve your goal of "fitting the books in". In fact, trying to copy the "form" of the original often results in a bad translation of the "content", usually sacrificing the emotions of the text.

If you look closely at my back-translation of the Turkish version of the video on my translation tips page I hope you'll get an idea of how all this works.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #40 on: Feb 5th, 2011, 6:12pm »

Wow, that's a great analogy.
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #41 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 4:14am »

@Hippo: Warming fetters would make hot links Tongue
@Fritzlein: Ha, the sentences did look somewhat idiomatic to me, although I couldn't nail it down of course.
@Megajester: Sometimes it's a bit like putting squares into round boxes too Tongue I did read your Translation Tips last year but I'll read them again.

Thank you guys for the help. I'll sleep one more night over the translation and get back to it with fresh eyes and do so again until I can file it as Ready.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #42 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 8:31am »

on Feb 4th, 2011, 9:35am, Fritzlein wrote:

The English is a little weird because it is a play on "Friends don't let friends drive drunk," which was an advertising campaign to reduce drunk driving in the United States.

Ohhhhh really? That would explain a certain scene in Groundhog Day... Smiley

Goodness me, there must be a whole swath of expressions I "know" from films (and a childhood spend watching Sesame Street) that I don't fully grasp...
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #43 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 8:33am »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 4:14am, leo wrote:
@Hippo: Warming fetters would make hot links Tongue
@Fritzlein: Ha, the sentences did look somewhat idiomatic to me, although I couldn't nail it down of course.
@Megajester: Sometimes it's a bit like putting squares into round boxes too Tongue I did read your Translation Tips last year but I'll read them again.

Thank you guys for the help. I'll sleep one more night over the translation and get back to it with fresh eyes and do so again until I can file it as Ready.

Dont forget to change the "Subtitles by:" credit at the end Wink
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #44 on: Feb 25th, 2011, 6:18am »

hey, good job with the translation Léo! I got a few very minor suggestions:

- "L'Arimaa"; I think we could just say "Arimaa". I know it's "les échecs, le go, le monopoly" but I think with recent(?) english-named games we often go without the déterminant "Risk, Starcraft, Hex". What do you think?

- "jeu de stratégie de type abstrait." J'ai changé pour : "jeu de stratégie abstrait." au vu des résultats google.

- "L'Arimaa est un jeu de stratégie de type abstrait.  
Un défi de programmation doté d'un prix de 10.000$ lui est associé, ainsi qu'un tournoi annuel homme-machine."
I think we could also shorten it a bit, like:

"Arimaa est un jeu de stratégie abstrait avec un (défi/challenge) de programmation doté d'un prix de 10.000$ et un (tournoi/match) annuel homme-machine."

Si l'idée est de faire une vidéo voix française, on aura même besoin de raccourcir beaucoup plus je pense.  

"Arimaa est un jeu de stratégie abstrait avec un challenge de programmation pour 10.000$ et un match annuel homme-machine." par exemple ?

J'ai  une petite préférence pour match, tournoi implique plus qu'il y a plusieurs humain et plusieurs machines qui participent, là c'est plus du "1 contre 1" (enfin du "équipe contre 1"). Tu en penses quoi ?

- "pas": I think it could also be "mouvement", "pas" doesn't seem natural to me in the context of a game. (I see the wikipedia page has "pas" as well, I suppose we should go with the standard word, but mouvement does really fit more to my ears).

- "Une pièce ne peut y être capturée" J'ai changé pour "Une pièce ne peut être capturée" au vu de la suite.

- "Le joueur Or débute le jeu en plaçant ses pièces": J'ai changé pour "Le joueur Or débute la partie en plaçant ses pièces"

- "de la façon qu'il veut" How about "comme il le désire"?

- "Après avoir observé le placement du joueur Or": The French translation is always much longer than the English version, which is normal since French is a much more wordy language Smiley but maybe we could go for something shorter here, like "Quand le joueur Or a terminé"?

Ah, et est-ce qu'on devrait dire "le joueur Or/Argent" ou "Or/Argent" tout seul?

- "Cette possibilité de réagir au placement adverse etc": How about "Pouvoir réagir (au / en fonction du) placement adverse compense l'avantage du premier coup du joueur Or"?  Still trying to shorten, if we go for the voiced thing it's going to be hard to follow english's pace.

- "En fait les diagonales n'ont pas d'utilité dans le jeu d'Arimaa" How about "Les diagonales ne comptent pas à Arimaa"?  

- Actually, for the voice thing (not the subtitles), wouldn't it be fine to just remove the sentence "that's why the board isn't checkered!", to be able to catch-up with the faster English pace? Unless I'm missing something about the meaning of this sentence (I most certainly am actually, I wouldn't have been able to come up with any kind of translation).

- "ou tout autre partage entre ces deux extrêmes." How about "ou toute autre répartition"?

- "elle ne peut pas se déplacer" changed to "elle ne peut pas bouger", two syllables less, please change it back if the original translation sounds better though Smiley  

- "à moins qu'elle n'ait une pièce amie pour voisine orthogonalement.": ou alors "à moins qu'elle ne soit adjacente orthogonalement à une pièce amie"? Hmmm peut-etre pas. "pour voisine orthogonalement." me fait un peu bizarre, mais je ne sais pas comment dire autrement Smiley

- "Les pièces amies se tiennent chaud!" Man, I so love this one. French owned English there :p

- "reculer de soi-même.": I've changed to "reculer de lui-même."

- "sans pièce amie comme voisine" again, it could be "sans pièce amie adjacente", depending on the above.

- "En outre d'amener un lapin de l'autre côté du plateau," I've changed to "En plus d'amener un lapin de l'autre côté du plateau,"? That's a little bit less "perfect language" but kind of more common perhaps? (EDIT : en fait, je pense que "en outre de" ne se dit pas ?) Conversely, we could also go for "En sus ...", I think that would be so optimal (and so 14th century) ^^

- "même si vous sacrifiez votre dernier lapin ce faisant." I think this one and the previous should earn you top grade Smiley I should have said "20" to confuse the anglo-saxon guys who might be spying the french translation discussion. Smiley Btw, how about just ""même si vous sacrifiez votre dernier lapin."?

- "case-trappe" : on pourrait juste utiliser "trappe" peut-etre ? Par contre à la première occurrence, "Le plateau comporte 4 trappes", peut-etre dire "case-trappe" pour que ce soit clair qu'une trappe = 1 case ?

- "Les pièces amies ne se laissent pas tomber!" Owned again, French FTW Smiley How do you like ""Les amis ne se laissent pas tomber!"? EDIT: No, rather "On ne laisse pas tomber un ami!", how about that?

- "de l'autre côté du plateau" Je pense qu'on utilise toujours ce type d'expression pour le goal, peut-etre il faudrait préciser au moins une fois "(jusqu')à la dernière rangée adverse" ou "jusqu'à la 8e rangée", sinon on ne sait pas trop si la 7e rangée compte aussi, ou s'il faut sortir du plateau ?  

- "pour la troisième fois et pour un même joueur." maybe "pour la troisième fois (avec le trait au même joueur)."?

- "Cette règle empêche tous les cas délirants de répétitions, mais fondamentalement elle empêche simplement de s'acharner à défaire les mouvements de l'adversaire." It's a big long as well (I'm worried about following the pace of the english voice commentary as usual). Not sure how to shorten though, perhaps removing "s'acharner à"?

Ok, that turned out to be a long post, but still almost all of the above are totally optional, let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011, 8:04am by chessandgo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.