Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Sharp vs. The Mob »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Sharp vs. The Mob
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sharp vs. The Mob  (Read 17494 times)
Samraku
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #10413

Re: Sharp vs. The Mob
« Reply #45 on: May 31st, 2015, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 31st, 2015, 8:13pm, Samraku wrote:
It sounds as if it doesn't actually require skill at Arimaa, but I'm afraid my track record on keeping up with online games would advise against I disagree
uming such a responsibility. Sad

huh, the part that shows up as "I disagree" should read "my as". I'm not sure what's up.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2015, 8:14pm by Samraku » IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #46 on: Jun 1st, 2015, 2:39am »

I think since I am online every day normally I can do that. But Omar or so would need to open a new forum section like those for the old matches of this kind. From reading earlier this discussion there seems to be enough interest and I hope more people will join once the event got running.
IP Logged
novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #47 on: Jun 1st, 2015, 8:29am »

The mob vs the gang used pbworks as the discussion forum for the two teams.  IIRC, in pbworks the tree for possible move options could be kept up by any member posting to it, but the coordinator may need to make sure it is up to date with all move options discussed.

Here is the forum discussion on the mob vs gang for reference.
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=events;action=display; num=1307542193;start=0

I don't know if pbworks is the best choice, I'm just throwing out another option as I liked the way the tree worked.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2015, 8:39am by novacat » IP Logged

deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #48 on: Jun 2nd, 2015, 6:39pm »

I don't see anything wrong with just discussing in the forum. It shouldn't be a big problem to build a tree manually and I doubt that lightvector would be cheating by looking lines up.
IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #49 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 10:23am »

Any updates on this?
IP Logged
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #50 on: Jun 11th, 2015, 5:00pm »

Let's try to not let this thread die.

I'm skimming the thread where the 2007 formula was discussed:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=2007onevsmob;action=pr int;num=1176003105

It worked pretty well and was readopted in 2009. The coordinator was given some freedom in deciding when to start the vote. This is a reasonnable idea. We don't have to follow a strict one-week schedule. Easy moves can be played quickly if there is unanimity while complicated moves should be considered longer.  
Now, the coordinator would be in a tough spot if several days pass without significant contributions. The participants should probably adhere to some kind of discipline, and submit a brain dump as soon as possible instead of waiting to refine their contributions.  
Also, we've come to rely more and more on the chat during the recent years. In this case, we should try to keep most of the discussions in the forum to make them easier to review. Any relevant ideas developped in the chat should be reformulated in a forum post.

The Mob used the Schulze method, as implemented on this page: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/ .
It seems to be pretty much everything we need technically. The CIVS page emails the ballots with an indvidual key to each participant. Perhaps a separate mailing list could be useful for organisational stuff that wouldn't belong on the forum?
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #51 on: Jun 14th, 2015, 4:36am »

So I suggest that everybody who wants to participate in the Mob sends me a mail-address (as PM or so) so that they can participate in the voting.
Like harvestsnow said it's really important then that you DO participate in discussions and so on, a Mob can only work when all members help in some way.

EDIT: As it seems to not have been clear: I need an address with which I can reach you. That voting system will send everybody who is participating an individual voting link via mail.
EDIT2: So far I got 3 5 6 8 mail addresses. I think we can start when we got together 10 people.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2015, 11:00am by deep_blue » IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #52 on: Jun 17th, 2015, 10:11am »

I publicly suggest the first real move to be lightvector's choice of color.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Samraku
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #10413

« Reply #53 on: Jun 17th, 2015, 10:33am »

on Jun 17th, 2015, 10:11am, clyring wrote:

Sounds like a fine plan to me. Smiley
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #54 on: Jun 17th, 2015, 11:02am »

I would agree to this as well.
Can someone try to contact Omar so that we can get an own forum section like the Mob games before?
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #55 on: Jun 17th, 2015, 1:28pm »

I got already 9 mail-addresses. One more and I want to start the game. Smiley
IP Logged
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #56 on: Jun 17th, 2015, 2:49pm »

A few technical questions about the vote:
-The option to have a detailed ballot report is desirable [edit: actually all of the relevant information is available without it, so I have no strong opinion on this]. There is a sub-option to make the vote completely transparent (no anonymity, emails are public). I personally wouldn't mind, since I will use a dedicated address for this, but others probably would. If we go for the anonymous option, would it be possible to keep track of the list of registered voters each week, by posting the original list and any subsequent arrival or departure?

-There is an option to allow the voters to register their own entries. Do we want that? The vote could be started immediately. Voting would be disabled as long as new entries can be sent. The supervisor would just need to decide when to end that period and enable the vote. There are some downsides. The list could be too long or too short, and I don't think the submissions can be corrected.

-I don't know what would be the impact of the "no opinion" option. Does someone know?
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2015, 4:11pm by harvestsnow » IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #57 on: Jun 18th, 2015, 5:37am »

+1
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #58 on: Jun 18th, 2015, 5:56am »

on Jun 17th, 2015, 2:49pm, harvestsnow wrote:
A few technical questions about the vote:
*The option to have a detailed ballot report is desirable. There is a sub-option to make the vote completely transparent (no anonymity, emails are public). I personally wouldn't mind, since I will use a dedicated address for this, but others probably would. If we go for the anonymous option, would it be possible to keep track of the list of registered voters each week, by posting the original list and any subsequent arrival or departure?

The simplest thing there would be that I write down who is allowed to vote in the current move thread.
Quote:

*There is an option to allow the voters to register their own entries. Do we want that? The vote could be started immediately. Voting would be disabled as long as new entries can be sent. The supervisor would just need to decide when to end that period and enable the vote. There are some downsides. The list could be too long or too short, and I don't think the submissions can be corrected.

I don't think thats necessary. In the forum thread I will list all options I will include in the vote so far, so people can just tell they want another move in. Then when I start the vote I have a list of moves with which all are okay.
Quote:

*I don't know what would be the impact of the "no opinion" option. Does someone know?

I don't know either but we could just test on a test poll. (Note: Not the bot poll. That's a serious poll.)
IP Logged
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #59 on: Jun 18th, 2015, 1:41pm »

One more thing about ties. How do will we break them?
I think the voting options are presented in random order by default. So we could just pick the first of the list. However, I don't see a way for the voters to check that the order was actually random.

The detailed ballot report shows the votes in random order. If two choices are tied, we could use the first vote expressing a preference as a tie-breaker. I think a three-way tie is unlikely.

Another source of random is the id parameter in the URL of the report (beginning with 'E_'). Take a sha1 hash of it, and pick the choice whose rank in the list is the numeric value of the hash, modulo the length of the list. This doesn't even require the detailed report.

This is unrelated, but I raised an eyebrow when I saw that I'm an idiot, nevermind.
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2015, 5:09pm by harvestsnow » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.