Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 3:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2006 Postal Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2006 Postal Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2006 Postal Tournament  (Read 6976 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2006 Postal Tournament
« Reply #60 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 8:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 24th, 2006, 11:53pm, frostlad wrote:
I've made a mistake in over half of my games that is rare for me to make now and was completely common for me a month or two ago.

Probably everyone improves fastest right when they are starting, but I definitely still have this same feeling even now when I make a mistake in a postal game, and if I understand what the mistake was.  I don't want to play on in a poor position, I want to start a new game armed with my new knowledge and see what would happen then.

Ah well, postal games require a lot of time and patience, too much by some standards.  That's why we can also play blitz!  Smiley
IP Logged

frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #61 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 10:49am »

It's alright, I don't mind fighting it out til the end. I think what i've learned best so far isn't the opening game, it is how to fight back after I blunder something away or get into a bad position.  
Although most of the opponents that I've had to do that against are bots, humans aren't as forgiving really.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #62 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 11:30am »

on Apr 13th, 2006, 8:39pm, IdahoEv wrote:
You don't have very much free time on your hands, do you?

Speaking of spending too much time on Arimaa, I just scanned a bunch of the games to see how everyone is doing, and who is in contention for winning the most games overall.  Based on my cursory impressions (I didn't analyze any of the positions to any depth), Omar, despite leading the current standings with a 2-0 record, is in trouble in too many other games to be considered the overall leader.

Instead the leader at the moment is clearly JDB, although he hasn't finished any games.  Next come Thorin and Belbo vying for second.  Somewhat behind those three, RonWeasley, Adanac, and I are in a bunch.

I can't tell what the heck is going in the game RonWeasley vs. Adanac.  Either Adanac is about to break through with a forced goal, or else RonWeasley has a solid material advantage.  I split the point between them because it was hurting my brain to think about it.  Whoever wins that game jumps up among the leaders, while the other falls behind.

Admittedly, it is still early in the tournament, and there are a lot of unclear positions.  For example, 99of9 could still conceivably run the table and win all ten of his games, since he's equal or better in all but one.  Purplebaron could still go 0-10 or 10-0, since his games have barely started.  There's a ton of play left, but I just wanted to see how things are shaping up so far.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2006, 4:06pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #63 on: Apr 25th, 2006, 6:42pm »

on Apr 25th, 2006, 8:06am, Fritzlein wrote:
Probably everyone improves fastest right when they are starting, but I definitely still have this same feeling even now when I make a mistake in a postal game, and if I understand what the mistake was.

I started the tournament when I had only been playing Arimaa for a couple of weeks, and had not yet even figured out how to beat 'zilla.

I look at my postal games now, and in most of them I think "how in hell did I get in a position this bad?"

Then again, I did let jdb barricade my phant just three turns ago, so maybe I haven't learned so much after all.  Wink   (I could have sworn I saw a way out of it in the planning window...)

IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #64 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:47pm »

Just an FYI to my opponents:  feel free to take your time before your next move  Wink I'll be very busy during the 2 weeks and I won't reply to any moves until May 13/14.  See you all again in 2 weeks.
IP Logged

frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #65 on: May 3rd, 2006, 2:31pm »

on Apr 5th, 2006, 1:29pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Elephant File20052006
d98.1%79.5%
c13.7%
b1.9%6.3%
a0.5%
Rabbits Forward20052006
none14.4%22.6%
a2.5%15.3%
c3.1%
ah55.6%56.3%
cf23.1%
ag0.5%
adh2.6%
abgh0.6%
acfh0.6%
adeh2.6%
Setup Balance20052006
Symmetrical56.9%50.5%
Balanced22.5%30.0%
Unbalanced20.6%19.5%
Gold Move 2w20052006
E up 468.8%26.3%
E up 3 over 111.3%11.6%
E up 3; X up 16.3%41.1%
E up 2; X,Y up 13.8%10.5%
E, X, Y, Z up 13.8%3.2%
Other6.3%7.4%

I would definitely not mind seeing the winning percentages in these different categories once the tourney is complete. I know it isn't a big enough data set to really draw conclusions, but at least it is a set of data from some of the higher ranked players and all players are human.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: May 4th, 2006, 6:55am »

on May 3rd, 2006, 2:31pm, frostlad wrote:
I would definitely not mind seeing the winning percentages in these different categories once the tourney is complete.

One slight problem with this is that many players didn't vary their opening from game to game, so entire categories belong to a single player.  For example, all opening positions with four rabbits forward were blue22 playing Gold, and all opening positions with three rabbits forward were blue22 playing Silver.

I remember a span of time when Kasparov was playing the Gruenfeld Defense every game against Karpov.  If you were to just look at the results of those games, you might conclude that the Gruenfeld is a mighty fortress, when a more justified conclusion would be that Kasparov is a formidable player.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #67 on: May 4th, 2006, 6:51pm »

Another problem is that asymmetric setups often beget asymmetric setups in reply.  Then the winning percentage will be 50:50 because someone's gotta lose.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #68 on: May 5th, 2006, 6:56pm »

on May 4th, 2006, 6:51pm, 99of9 wrote:
because someone's gotta lose.

hum, that's just because you arimaa players are just a bunch of bloodliking warriors, without showing it as explicitely as go players ! Wink Follow chess players' example, and come back to the good side of the force, where animals of every colors live in peace !

I solemnly beg you to stop slaughtering innocent little beasts ! (and particularly mine please ...)
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #69 on: May 9th, 2006, 2:30pm »

A few games have tipped in the past couple of weeks, so I thought I'd update the leader board.  However, after compiling all the stats, I realized that not much had changed.  I should definitely wait a whole month between updates.  Anyway, based on the current game states, I have the leaders as

JDB
Thorin
Belbo
Fritzlein
Adanac
99of9

Everyone is losing at least one game (even purplebaron now that he has started moving), so the top score this year might be only nine points, but a lot could still happen given how many games still are even and/or unclear.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #70 on: May 9th, 2006, 2:37pm »

For those of you who like to take a peek at interesting goings-on in other game, permit me to direct your attention to Robinson vs. Thorin.  Despite heavy engagement, no captures have yet occurred, and none appear likely in the near future.

A quick search of my database found six rated games between humans which ended in goal with neither side making a capture.  The longest of these was game 13511, in which Robinson punched through a rabbit against PMertens in 37 moves.  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=13511&s=w& client=1

That was a 30-second game, though.  I'm curious to see whether Robinson can do it again at postal speeds.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006, 10:31pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #71 on: May 9th, 2006, 6:25pm »

Thanks for the tip Fritzl !
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #72 on: May 9th, 2006, 6:33pm »

And nices games from the 3 players ... I guess it's a question of style, the time control doesn't matter.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #73 on: May 22nd, 2006, 11:17am »

on Feb 26th, 2006, 12:12pm, jdb wrote:
When analyzing games in the planning window, *close* the game window, to prevent sending a move by accident! When you have decided on your move, reopen the game window.

Arrrgh!  How many times am I going to have to make the same mistake before I listen to JDB's advice?  I just sent move 39w in my game against Robinson thinking I was in the plan window.  What's the good of making mistakes if I never learn from them?  I'm a regular Charlie Brown.   Sad
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #74 on: May 23rd, 2006, 10:13am »

Now that my game against Blue22 has finished, only 99of9 and purplebaron have no completed games.  Maybe the tournament is about half done in terms of total moves played so far versus total moves yet to be played.  It terms of total time elapsed, however, we may have a long way to go: 86 days have elapsed versus 214 days more until we reach the cutoff.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.