Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 6:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20184 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #105 on: Sep 11th, 2010, 4:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wow, that's cool! I think it's very Arimaa-ish and still unique for the Festival.

I don't know which one to prefer, I say stick with what you feel is better. One thing I would say though is if you're going to go with the non-bold one, could you make the elephant a bit happier?

Also one observation I would like to make is that the logo itself is "square", whereas I anticipate that we're more likely to use it in "vertical" format, like this:

... or more likely in "banner" format, like this, on the end of forum posts, emails etc:

Although to be really useful perhaps it should be a bit more compact than this. This is just to show the composition I have in mind, I'm not saying you should enter the text with a computer or change the colours or anything. I think the style is great, stick with it.

BTW I don't know if you've noticed my new signature. I was wondering if, just for a laugh, you could make a Rimbit comic strip with a black chess piece (king?) saying "This is mad chess" and Rimbit saying "this... is... ARIMAAAA!" and kicking the chess piece into a trap square. But then again maybe you wouldn't want Rimbit associated with the extreme violence of 300, it's just that it's such a funny clip...
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2010, 3:20am by megajester » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #106 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 5:09pm »

Thank you for the feedback guys! I'll keep all that in mind for the next step and hopefully we'll have some banners ready this week. And maybe some more in the weeks to come for variety.

Megajester, that's a cool cartoon idea Cheesy I'll try some sketches - I guess I'll post them in the Rimbit thread rather than the Festival thread.
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #107 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 2:12pm »

I had a couple of thoughts and questions for folks:

Commentators:
There are 6 AWL games scheduled in the game room.  I suggest any commentators for the Festival consider giving commentary for one of these games.  I know my first time talking had a few hiccups (accidentally refreshing the game rather than turning my microphone on, etc.) and some big pauses, and a little practice can go a long way towards reducing those things.  (Not that I do a great job now, but I think it is a little better than before!)

Simultaneous Matches:
I was thinking about the time control and strategy for these games.  Was it decided to use 0/0/0/0?  Or if time will be counted, should we should ask the 'challengers' to use all of their move time each turn? (Using reserve when needed, but never adding to it...)  Or did someone put together that automatic game switching tool you mentioned?  Are there any extra strategies that either side should consider?

Fritz - you had a player rating limit that you had mentioned earlier, depending on the number of boards you had.  I'm on the slate for your game, but my rating has been creeping up a bit.  Let me know if I you think you would need more attention when playing against me...  Grin

Collaborative Match:
Will there be any chance to practice ahead of time?  Will the captain use their account for an Unrated game, or will there be a dummy account used?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #108 on: Oct 8th, 2010, 1:43am »

Quote:
Simultaneous Matches:
I was thinking about the time control and strategy for these games.  Was it decided to use 0/0/0/0?  Or if time will be counted, should we should ask the 'challengers' to use all of their move time each turn? (Using reserve when needed, but never adding to it...)  Or did someone put together that automatic game switching tool you mentioned?  Are there any extra strategies that either side should consider?

Fritz - you had a player rating limit that you had mentioned earlier, depending on the number of boards you had.  I'm on the slate for your game, but my rating has been creeping up a bit.  Let me know if I you think you would need more attention when playing against me...  Grin

I am unaware of any automatic game switching tool.  I'm not dead set on any time control.  I believe that no time control (0/0/0/0/0) is common for OTB simuls, so maybe we should go with conventional wisdom.  Otherwise I would probably need 2 minutes/move.

If you played, I would definitely have to give your board "too much" attention.  I explained to megajester that I would be willing to play the current roster all at once, despite the ratings above my stated cutoff, but no more.  Already among the seven who have signed up, I could not expect to go undefeated.  On the other hand, if I gave you the boot, I could replace you with about four 1600-level players or a dozen noobs for a similar challenge.  I originally envisioned playing lots of newcomer-to-intermediate opponents rather than anyone who is a contender to make the finals of the 2011 World Championship!

This is a delicate organizational issue, because I would rather serve more customers, so to speak, but I also don't want to bar you from the simul if nobody else is going to take your place, because that would just make the event smaller and less awesome.  I don't want to keep you dangling as on the roster for now but off if someone lower-rated wants to play.  This is where the organizer earns his big paycheck.  There is a genuine issue to be dealt with, and I don't want to deal with it myself; I just want to show up and play against as big a field as possible that won't overwhelm me.  Smiley  Unfortunately, the principal organizer is on vacation, and I'm not sure if anyone would want to pick up responsibility for organizing this particular event.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2010, 1:52am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #109 on: Oct 8th, 2010, 2:51pm »

on Oct 8th, 2010, 1:43am, Fritzlein wrote:
This is a delicate organizational issue, because I would rather serve more customers, so to speak, but I also don't want to bar you from the simul if nobody else is going to take your place, because that would just make the event smaller and less awesome.
I'm already scheduled for 6 other games, so I certainly don't mind sitting this out.  I'll plan on being there to watch, and will play as a "backup" only if you want to add more challenge to the field that shows up.  Hopefully we'll pick up some attendance during the event that will stay on to try out a game with you at the end of the day.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #110 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 3:59pm »

*[Rubs his hands together]* Right then, only two weeks to go!

I will get round to sorting participation issues as soon as possible, and issue some guidelines/suggestions for commentators and participants in collaborative games etc.  

In the meantime I would like to just ask how the logo/artwork's coming on. We'd like to get a poster together as soon as possible, both for use over the internet and also in a "print-friendly version" for real-world exposure... So leo, will you have anything ready soon or are you snowed under at the moment?
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #111 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 5:54pm »

Not snowed under but paralysed by my inability of producing clean vector art Sad
I'm reverting to Plan B, inserting a picture of the elephant piece and trying to make an acceptable layout.
A vertical band would need smaller letters, would it be ok?
As for the big poster, the letters in SVG can be scaled up as big as needed but not the elephant image which is a small raster picture.
Ha, I should have acknowledged sooner that I'm not the man for that job... Any help from graphic artists?

In PNG:

In JPG (half the weight but dirtier looking):

IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #112 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 4:14pm »

I know nothing at all about drawing / vector art, but your drawings kick ass, and these banners rock as well. You're the man for the job pal! Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010, 4:14pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #113 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 12:33am »

Thanks for all your hard work Leo. You are most definitely the man for the job.

Don't worry about "super clean" vector images, what you had before is fine. All I meant in my earlier post was that the positioning of the elements needed to be changed a little, not the graphics themselves. The graphics are beeeautiful. No cleanup required.

If you could make another one *exactly* like this:  

...just enlarge the flag and the text, and position it so it forms a banner and not a square. That's it.  

That's all I meant by my suggestion:

...all I'm saying is to enlarge the flag (keep it blue of course), and enlarge the text (your handwritten text is great, don't change it).

The reason is because a "square" graphic is not as practical as a rectangular "banner". I want to be able to use it as a letterhead, posterhead, email signature or something similar, that's why.

This graphic is already smashing, just give it that tweak and it'll be PERFECT!

Can you do that for us? Or is it harder than I suppose?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #114 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 2:43pm »

OK, we now have exactly one week to go, and leo is nowhere to be seen. So I hope he will forgive me for running ahead of him and using his image in a banner. I'd like to see what everybody thinks of it.

Leo, if you were working on something I'm sorry. Please still finish it and post it though, it might be better than what I've produced. Either way, you're the one who's cooked the meat and potatoes, all I've done is knock up a sauce. That graphic is iconic! Thank you!
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #115 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 3:59pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2010, 2:43pm, megajester wrote:
I'd like to see what everybody thinks of it.

I like it a lot if you take the pieces from printed Arimaa set away. I think the combination of real image with the fantasy animals does not create a proper design here.

Just my 2. Thanks for the coordination.

Oh, btw. if I want to just passively listen/watch lessons from the gurus, do I need to sign up for the festival? If so, why?
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #116 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 6:28pm »

OK, I think I understood what you mean. We're on quite a tight schedule so instead of changing the design I tried to make the image less photo-like, as you can see here. I hope that was what you meant.

I have also produced a poster, which has been approved by Omar:

Feel free to use these graphics to spread the word! In particular the poster, if you want to print some out and give them to friends, relatives, colleagues etc or post it on  a notice board feel free! It's what it's for!

The URL's are as follows:
Code:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/aof/images/bannermedres.png

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/aof/images/bannerhighres.png

...for the web banner (one medium resolution [80 dpi], one high resolution [450 dpi), and:
Code:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/aof/images/postermedres.png

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/aof/images/posterhighres.png

for the poster (same resolutions).
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #117 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 6:42pm »

Have you planned on posting the announcement of festival on forums where chess players reside in? Or general board game forums. Of course, it would be good if it was done by someone with active account so that it wouldn't be considered too spam-like.

Also computer-AI newsgroups might be interested to hear the discussion on the state of AI. Will there be podcasts or videos of separate events that can be heard after the day?

Good work!
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #118 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 6:54pm »

on Oct 24th, 2010, 6:42pm, clojure wrote:
Have you planned on posting the announcement of festival on forums where chess players reside in? Or general board game forums. Of course, it would be good if it was done by someone with active account so that it wouldn't be considered too spam-like.

Also computer-AI newsgroups might be interested to hear the discussion on the state of AI. Will there be podcasts or videos of separate events that can be heard after the day?

Good work!

All very very good ideas. I think a first step would be to make an update to the Arimaa group on chess.com. And do everything else you mentioned. But not now, I'm off to bed.

Podcasts and videos... well Omar's going to be recording everything so all we would need to do is chop up the audio for podcasts, and then get some long-suffering member of the community to use screen-capture software to make a video of himself watching the game, and then combine it with the audio.

Which can all be sorted later. As I said I'm off to bed.

PS: Speaking of posters, we might need this one as well for the organizers Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #119 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 3:11am »

I received the email with the poster. It rocks Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.