Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:13am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20178 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #75 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 12:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 17th, 2010, 7:21pm, knarl wrote:
Should we also test a backup system to Skype? Like one of the web based desktop sharing systems?

Let's just pick one and use it if it works.  Skype was more or less working for voice chat before we set up TeamSpeak, but if Skype voice+screen sharing isn't the preferred workshop solution compared to TeamSpeak for voice plus some other screen sharing, let's try that instead.

I'm not doing this for the joy of exploration, but as a means to an end of doing a workshop, which is what I would truly enjoy.  Whatever I have to do before the workshop to make it technically feasible is just a big hassle as far as I am concerned.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #76 on: Aug 19th, 2010, 3:21am »

OK, the Skype screen sharing test was a success.  Thanks, knarl.  I believe the reason we switched from Skype to Teamspeak was Skype's limit of 24 for a conference call, but we never got up to 24 in Teamspeak even during the World Championships, so I doubt we'll hit that limit for the Festival.

Leo, if you manage to get an analysis board integrated into the current chat room in time, that plus Teamspeak would still be my first option, but the pressure is now off.  The workshop will happen in any case.

For anyone who wants to prepare in advance, the game under discussion will be this one, with a general theme of the unbalanced setup.  I just need a snazzy title now.  Horses: to split or not to split?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #77 on: Aug 21st, 2010, 7:57pm »

Good to know that Skype worked and is an option. If I remember correctly when we first tried using Skype, it seemed to be a bit of a nuisance since I had to keep accepting join requests and every so often people were getting dropped out and had to rejoin. We might want to try a larger scale test with Skype next week.

Joel and I were planning to have an organizing meeting next weekend as well, so please join us in TeamSpeak for that. I'll post an announcement once we have a time fixed.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #78 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:49am »

I know Omar's going to be posting a link to this in the gameroom or something, but here's a link to the  

1st ARIMAA ONLINE FESTIVAL SURVEY

Whether you're gonna take part or just watch, even just a bit of it, please fill this survey in because it'll be a great help to us in organizing this event, which is just around the corner. Thanks guys!
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #79 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 9:15am »

Nice survey, I just answered it (as noted at the end, I'm signing up my bot for the blitz tournament, not me).
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Aug 22nd, 2010, 9:25am »

on Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:49am, megajester wrote:
I know Omar's going to be posting a link to this in the gameroom or something

Yep, this needs to be linked from a new announcement.
IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #81 on: Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:22pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2010, 1:49am, megajester wrote:
I know Omar's going to be posting a link to this in the gameroom or something, but here's a link to the  

1st ARIMAA ONLINE FESTIVAL SURVEY

Whether you're gonna take part or just watch, even just a bit of it, please fill this survey in because it'll be a great help to us in organizing this event, which is just around the corner. Thanks guys!

Is there a way to see what I answered in this survey? I'd hate to not turn up to something I said I would.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #82 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 10:00am »

on Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:22pm, knarl wrote:

Is there a way to see what I answered in this survey? I'd hate to not turn up to something I said I would.

Cheers,
knarl.

It's a bit difficult to let you see the data, but I can tell you you've said yes you will be available for the European Collaborative and Karl's Workshop, no for the blitz tourney, and maybe to everything else.

But seriously don't sweat it, we can't take it as a given that somebody will come even if they say yes, because life is life and stuff happens. It gives us an idea.

Thanks for filling in the survey!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #83 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 12:53pm »

My parents have decided to come visit us for Eid which will likely be on Sep 10th and will be with us over the Sep 11th weekend. So my prospects for participating on Sep 11th are not looking good. Also I've received some feedback via email saying that having a festival on the same day as 9/11 memorials is probably not a good idea.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #84 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 4:30pm »

Omar, I understand that family comes before Arimaa.  That is fitting and proper.  According to previous discussion, however, not having the festival on 9/11 essentially means not having the festival at all this year.  To me it looks like you are suggesting calling the whole thing off.

It isn't clear to me what the prospects are for a festival without your active involvement and support.  Perhaps we could go ahead on 9/11 with the only change being removing the "Interview with Omar" from the schedule of events.  On the other hand, it would be somewhat risky to proceed with all the other events knowing that you wouldn't be available to troubleshoot server issues.  For example, if some problem with the TeamSpeak server cropped up during the "Think out loud" event or the team event, then they would have to be canceled as well.

I'm still willing to volunteer my time and energy for 9/11, but I don't know how I would feel about it if I were in megajester's shoes as principal organizer.  Probably I would not want to take the chance of running the event without you available, and therefore would shelve the whole idea of a festival for the present.  It's too bad the chosen date conflicted with your family obligations, but that's the way it goes.
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010, 4:39pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #85 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 6:19pm »

Would bumping it back a month into October work? The 9th, 23rd or 30th work for me in October.

[Edit: Btw, I also rather agree with Fritzlein. Holding this sort of event without having Omar around for it seems quite risky, not just with the possibility of TS going down but any server problems. I would rather expect for the infrastructure overall to get much more stressed during an event like this than it normally does.]

Janzert
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010, 6:37pm by Janzert » IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #86 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 12:29am »

@Fritz Remind me, why couldn't we have it in October? Is it because of the WC or something?

I'm in the UK until the 11th of October, so any week after that works for me. Unless there really is an unmanageable clash with something else that's going on, I think October is perfect. It gives us plenty of time to plan, and it starts getting rainy and cold in October for most of us so we're more likely to be home. Smiley

I apologize to everybody for the disappointment of having the festival postponed. But don't go away! We need all the help we can get to organize this thing. Thanks to everybody who's volunteered so far, I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to contact you all personally but I can tell you that your contribution will make a big difference. It's our first time, so subsequent Festivals should be easier. This way we have time to really think things through and assign tasks to people. Omar and I should be having a planning session in Teamspeak towards the weekend, so we'll be happy for everybody who's volunteered to join us. More information will be provided shortly...

...unless Fritz comes up with a spanner in the works. Cheesy

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #87 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 3:43am »

on Aug 26th, 2010, 12:29am, megajester wrote:
@Fritz Remind me, why couldn't we have it in October? Is it because of the WC or something?

October works for me.  It's not until November that I have weekend conflicts.  Full steam ahead!
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #88 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 8:11am »

october would be much better for me than early september, so +1 Smiley And yeah, I fear that if the festival is a success there might be some kind of overload too.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #89 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 1:47pm »

on Aug 26th, 2010, 8:11am, chessandgo wrote:
october would be much better for me than early september, so +1 Smiley And yeah, I fear that if the festival is a success there might be some kind of overload too.

Me too.  I wasn't going to be able to participate on the original date so any change is an improvement Smiley  Four of the five weekends in October will work for me, but not October 23-24.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.